This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    What? No pescetarianism? Not even a flounder in the dark? I can keep my eyes closed for that. Oh dear, the curse of the hot Saturday afternoon strikes again. I'm going to sit outside with a cold glass of something and dream of a possible sole mate who dances to the same tuna.
    Hope you don't get pestered by one of these! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_groper

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
      I actually had a much earlier throughbred horse called Barbican in mind, which I stumbled upon via a Wiki disambiguation. I was originally going to offer a clue based on weak beer.

Oh! I see.... I thought you meant a barbican was an old word for a thoroughbred hoss in general. It's a specific horse name or two! ok!

(Flood gates open for some hair raising equine associations in future!!)

Comment

Early Barbican also on: https://www.stud-farms.com/thoroughb...lions-usa.html
        Later Barbican, b. 2003, d. 2011 (sadly, euthanized).

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Hope you don't get pestered by one of these! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_groper
          All blue gropers begin their life as females. As they mature, they go through an initial phase, in which they may be male or female ........... sounds like a pretty cool fish Sort of, expect the unexpected ..... Gosh, ain't TMS exciting at the mo?

Comment

What? No pescetarianism? Not even a flounder in the dark? I can keep my eyes closed for that. Oh dear, the curse of the hot Saturday afternoon strikes again. I'm going to sit outside with a cold glass of something and dream of a possible sole mate who dances to the same tuna.
            Holy mackerel, get your skates on, we might touch bass. Your plaice or mine?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Oh! I see.... I thought you meant a barbican was an old word for a thoroughbred hoss in general. It's a specific horse name or two! ok!

(Flood gates open for some hair raising equine associations in future!!)
              Neigh, lad, neigh! (Or even nay lad, nay!)

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                Holy mackerel, get your skates on, we might touch bass. Your plaice or mine?
                You are codding me, are you talking pollocks or shall you scampi and get your tails on? Edit: I am now exiting this conversation before ff's tuk-tuk rumbles in!

Comment

You are codding me, are you talking pollocks?

Sadly I am it's just a flat fish. The "red snapper" (Mrs Flay) will catch me!
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Sadly I am it's just a flat fish. The "red snapper" (Mrs Flay) will catch me!
                    Oh, just tell her, it's only a load of scallops and we've haddock enough!

Comment

Is it?!

Well, I never! I see it in various dictionaries but... that's pretty obscure! Or is it just me (and mercs)?
                      Not in my dictionaries, (Chambers 11th Edition 2008 and Shorter Oxford). But hasn't Norfolk now said it is a name of specific horse, not a generic term. What entries did you find?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        Not in my dictionaries, (Chambers 11th Edition 2008 and Shorter Oxford). But hasn't Norfolk now said it is a name of specific horse, not a generic term. What entries did you find?
                        Just internet ones... e.g. this which I assumed implied a generic

barbican - Memidex dictionary/thesaurus
                        www.memidex.com/barbican

19 Sep 2011 – "barbican" definition: a tower that is part of a defensive structure (such ... Universe | Barbican (horse), a thoroughbred horse | Barbican (beer), ...
                        You visited this page on 26/05/12.

Comment

Not sure whom you're asking? Messages # 20553 and # 20558 may help.

Comment

Which ones? Can you fortell the future?

Let it drop shall we? It ran at York today.
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Thanks Caliban! I looked on line as well, but your Googling must have been more effective than mine.

[Not sure who Norfolk is referring to in #20547, but he seems to be predicting the future?]

Comment

Which ones? Can you fortell the future?

Let it drop shall we? It ran at York today.

Are we awaiting M. L'Amateur's I....?

Comment

Working...
                                X