X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Just a minute!!!

The C appears to be an Asteroid or St Andrew??????

.... and "Hadrian" ... ????????????????????????????????????

I'm glad you said that... Calling in quick before supper in Paris, I'm perplexe: I get the asteroid link but what's Hadrian got to do with the prix du poisson?

Originally posted by mercia View Post

keep up
    Much easier to do that - esp in these quick-fire ding-dongs - where one of the protagonists just pulls the three solutions clearly together at the end, pour encourager les autres!!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      pulls the three solutions clearly together
      the answer was Cavaradossi, the name of an asteroid, number 8945

and more importantly the name of a character in Puccini's opera Tosca, which said opera takes place in the environs of three real places in Rome namely the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle (the Andrew link), the Palazzo Farnese, and the Castel Sant'Angelo

which last location was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family

I do hope that is all clear

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
        Thank you for your indulgence.

What E embraces (in order):
        - Roman and Sicilian;
        - the ruins of Carthage and a centre of Sufism;
        - the confluence of Rodrigo and Tarrega.
        Here I am in Penultima Thule (Inverness) with limited Internet access. Could this be something to do with Engravings?
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

- the confluence of Rodrigo and Tarrega
          is this a confluence in the sense of a shared location e.g. Valencia or the shared title of a musical work ?
          does this confluence begin with the letter E ? is this the composer Rodrigo or another Rodrigo ?
          I assume we're referring to the composer Tarrega, rather than the village.
          is the use of the word confluence a hint that it has some connection to rivers ?

Comment

the answer was Cavaradossi, the name of an asteroid, number 8945

and more importantly the name of a character in Puccini's opera Tosca, which said opera takes place in the environs of three real places in Rome namely the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle (the Andrew link), the Palazzo Farnese, and the Castel Sant'Angelo

which last location was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family

I do hope that is all clear
            Crystal, mercia, many thanks!

Rubbers's E is as clear as mud to me, in contrast

Comment

- the ruins of Carthage and a centre of Sufism
              do these have any musical connections, e.g. Les Troyens or Dido & Aeneas ?

Comment

- Roman and Sicilian
                anything to do with vespers ?
                Last edited by mercia; 10-02-12, 07:38.

Comment

is this a confluence in the sense of a shared location e.g. Valencia

You're off and running, now Mercs.

All the other suggestions, including Flay's Engravings, are wrong

Comment

I think I'm going to need a further clue, Valencia hasn't helped at all and the rest of the question seems too wide to pinpoint anything in particular
                    I have noted that the elements are in a specific order with Valencia (or something to do with Valencia) last, perhaps suggesting a person moving from one place to another (???)

Comment

I think I'm going to need a further clue, Valencia hasn't helped at all and the rest of the question seems too wide to pinpoint anything in particular
                      I have noted that the elements are in a specific order with Valencia (or something to do with Valencia) last, perhaps suggesting a person moving from one place to another (???)
                      Oh, you are good

The answer is a musical work.

Comment

I don't know if anyone else is currently working on this, who would like to set a question, the E work is by Jacques Ibert

Comment

I don't know if anyone else is currently working on this, who would like to set a question, the E work is by Jacques Ibert
                          Oh, nice work mercia! Rubbers the scamp doing a cryptical version of the first part of my I some months back: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...5949#post45949

Double dummy me for not twigging.

I'll take F off your hands if you like mercia, but all the are for you...

Comment

I was on a different trail ....... can you post your workings please mercia?
                            edit: <doh> just followed Caliban's link and - blow me! I solved it last time! Mega brain fade here I fear .....

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              I'll take F off your hands

Comment

Well done Mercs, Escales indeed. We await the globetrotting Caliban's F...

Comment

Working...
                                X