• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Without wishing to seem to be taking advantage -

Roberto Gerhard?

The Plague
    Leo
    Fourth Symphony.

No advantage taken, ferney, as far as I am concerned.

H is all yours...

Comment

How about an aitch to link:

Brahms' cradle songs
      A concerto for five natural horns
      Another concerto focussed with fries, perhaps
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
        Incidentally, Caliban, I was recently gifted Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich book, which instantly had me poring over the photographs therein. There are one or two rare shots of the man himself grinning (one with Britten, another - incredibly - during a rehearsal of that cheery little number, the 15th Quartet), though neither pic a patch on the inanely grinning imbibatorium wot adorns your profile.

The Britten one is presumably this:

I also like this one... he looks quite the dude:

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The Britten one is presumably this:

I also like this one... he looks quite the dude:

Funnily enough, Caliban, no: the first picture doesn't feature in Wilson's book. The one that does shows DSCH looking more "measured".

In your second picture, Rostropovich seems to be saying "What? You mean that reefer is ALL weed?"
          In your first picture, taken after the second, DSCH is presumably saying "Damn right, Slava! I'm to-ho-tally wired now...Where's the crisps?"

Comment

How about an aitch to link:

Brahms' cradle songs
            A concerto for five natural horns
            Another concerto focussed with fries, perhaps
            Very teasing, ferney. I've been up two blind paths already. Path 3 though - would it be fair to say that "Another concerto" in your 3rd clue itself contains natural horns, in this case 4?

Comment

would it be fair to say that "Another concerto" in your 3rd clue itself contains natural horns, in this case 4?
              Not in the work I was referring to, Tapi, but there might be a possible (other) connection: what were you thinking?

Comment

Not in the work I was referring to, Tapi, but there might be a possible (other) connection: what were you thinking?
                Hmmm. I was thinking "Hamburg". My question was alluding to the four natural orchestral horns in Ligeti's Hamburg Concerto, and then I remembered that the solo horn also inhabits "natural" regions, thus making 5, so perhaps I should say Ligeti's Hamburg Concerto for clue 2, though now the third clue "Another Concerto" eludes me

For clue 1, baby Brahms would presumably have heard songs from his cradle, which would have been situated in the city of his birth - Hamburg.

Comment

You've got the H and 2 of the 3 clues.

If someone were offered fries, they'd probably be buying ...

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    photies of old favourites and new delights, svp
                    Your wish is my command, o amateur one: here is the window of one of my favourite places in Paris, Boulangerie Julien, yesterday afternoon:

Pistachio icing &c is clearly "in"...

They have three branches in the centre, that being this one:http://www.boulangerie-patisserie-ar...ct-paris4.html

For anyone visiting, I would recommend their baguettes as among the best in Paris (they won the award some years back and are regularly nominated for that, I see from the bags around the two that came back to London and are being devoured, almost as I type

Comment

Funnily enough, Caliban, no: the first picture doesn't feature in Wilson's book. The one that does shows DSCH looking more "measured".

In your second picture, Rostropovich seems to be saying "What? You mean that reefer is ALL weed?"
                      In your first picture, taken after the second, DSCH is presumably saying "Damn right, Slava! I'm to-ho-tally wired now...Where's the crisps?"

and in pic 2, whatever is happening, Britten is saying "tee-hee-hee" (and maybe if you're right, "It looks like I'm smoking even though there's nothing in my fingers!! Tee-hee-hee!!!")

Comment

I see from the bags around the two that came back to London and are being devoured, almost as I type
                        Oh, Caliban. How cruel you are to post a pic of those delectable offerings whilst I am sitting here, so hungry and craving ........... OMG, Pistachio Icing!! <swoon, thud, falls to floor, cravings suddenly get worse emoticon>

Comment

and in pic 2, whatever is happening, Britten is saying "tee-hee-hee" (and maybe if you're right, "It looks like I'm smoking even though there's nothing in my fingers!! Tee-hee-hee!!!")
                          Exactly right - "Tee-hee, isn't that a pip"

Oistrakh is saying "Take it from one who knows, big fella. Smoke all of that and you'll be taking a whitey".

Comment

You've got the H and 2 of the 3 clues.

If someone were offered fries, they'd probably be buying ...
                            Chips?
                            Ketchup?

Anyone...? Put me out of my misery.

Comment

Chips?
                              Ketchup?

Anyone...? Put me out of my misery.
                              Hamburger Concerto by the band Focus. Based on the 1st Variation of Brahms' Haydn Variations, itself premiered in Hamburg (thanks Wiki).

Comment

Hamburger Concerto by the band Focus. Based on the 1st Variation of Brahms' Haydn Variations, itself premiered in Hamburg (thanks Wiki).
                                - a full house, Tapi: I is all yours!

Comment

Working...
                                X