This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    blow me! I solved it last time! Mega brain fade here I fear .....

I feel the same Anna!!! I set it and you solved that part and neither had an effing clue. Mind you, rubbers is a sly one - he hid it in an enigma wrapped in a mystery... As far as I can see, Valencia only had a fleeting significance for Tarrega - he ran away there twice when he was a nipper inc joining a band of gypsies if wiki is to be believed... I still think mercia did pretty blinking well to get near that one by twigging the journey logic of it.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I feel the same Anna!!! I set it and you solved that part and neither had an effing clue
      I was lost trying to link in that famous Valencian mystery play with Tunisia! It's too cold to think straight ......... (that's my excuse)

Comment

I feel the same Anna!!! I set it and you solved that part and neither had an effing clue. Mind you, rubbers is a sly one - he hid it in an enigma wrapped in a mystery... As far as I can see, Valencia only had a fleeting significance for Tarrega - he ran away there twice when he was a nipper inc joining a band of gypsies if wiki is to be believed... I still think mercia did pretty blinking well to get near that one by twigging the journey logic of it.
        ...and particularly as the Wikipedia entry on Ibert records the first movement of Escales as 'Rome-Parleme' instead of 'Rome-Palerme', just to confuse matters

Comment

As far as I can see, Valencia only had a fleeting significance for Tarrega
          Much as Nottingham has for you, I shouldn't doubt

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            Much as Nottingham has for you, I shouldn't doubt
            I don't think old Francisco lived there for 18 years, did he? Valencia I mean. Not Nottingham....

Comment

What F provides a symphonic link between a Beethovenian misattribution, Thomas Gainsborough, and a friend of Brahms who wrote about Norns and Nibelungs?

Comment

What F provides a symphonic link between a Beethovenian misattribution, Thomas Gainsborough, and a friend of Brahms who wrote about Norns and Nibelungs?
                Anything to do with your actual Friedrich?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                  Anything to do with your actual Friedrich?
                  Taps!!! You stroll casually to the crease after too long away, and loft one into the pavilion!!

Care to explain?

Comment

Taps!!! You stroll casually to the crease after too long away, and loft one into the pavilion!!

Care to explain?
                    Yes, Caliban, it's been too long. I put it down to SOAD (Seasonal Online-Aversion Disorder) which tends to strike at will and sharply.

I trust you - and you all - are well.

As for Friedrich:

Friedrich Witt composed the "Jena" Symphony, once misattributed to LvB;
                    Gainsborough produced a portrait of Karl Friedrich Abel;
                    now the third element is causing me some consternation... Friedrich Nietzsche?

Comment

Yes, Caliban, it's been too long. I put it down to SOAD (Seasonal Online-Aversion Disorder) which tends to strike at will and sharply.

I trust you - and you all - are well.

As for Friedrich:

Friedrich Witt composed the "Jena" Symphony, once misattributed to LvB;
                      Gainsborough produced a portrait of Karl Friedrich Abel;
                      now the third element is causing me some consternation... Friedrich Nietzsche?
                      Well it's good to see you again.

Yes to the first two. The third was a pianist, composer and conductor who like his mate Brahms wrote four symphonies as well as the two works referred to in the question. Want a bit more time to get a clean sweep - or would you like to crack on with your G - for 'tis undoubtedly yours - at once?

Comment

Well it's good to see you again.

Yes to the first two. The third was a pianist, composer and conductor who like his mate Brahms wrote four symphonies as well as the two works referred to in the question. Want a bit more time to get a clean sweep - or would you like to crack on with your G - for 'tis undoubtedly yours - at once?
                        How very civilised of you, Caliban, to offer a second crack at the third clue. Targeted googling based on your excellent follow-up clues reveals Friedrich Gernsheim, a very noble looking fellow, facially rather like a Germanic Verdi.

Comment

How very civilised of you, Caliban, to offer a second crack at the third clue. Targeted googling based on your excellent follow-up clues reveals Friedrich Gernsheim, a very noble looking fellow, facially rather like a Germanic Verdi.
                          There you go, a quick extra run to complete a splendid over.

G up there!

PS For the curious, Gernsheim wrote two choral works Nornen Wiegenlied, op. 65 and Nibelungen Wiederfahrt, op. 73...

Comment

There you go, a quick extra run to complete a splendid over.

G up there!

PS For the curious, Gernsheim wrote two choral works Nornen Wiegenlied, op. 65 and Nibelungen Wiederfahrt, op. 73...
                            Many thanks Cali! He looks a decent sort - I may endeavour to investigate his music at some point.

Am hopelessly out of practice with the old clue-setting and, to continue the cricket analogies, would not want to appear like the 12th man at silly mid off, but here goes with a (potentially straightforward) G (3 elements referring to 3 musical works by the same musical G):

G: A pestilent lion in New York
                            Last edited by Tapiola; 10-02-12, 14:05. Reason: typos

Comment

Incidentally, Caliban, I was recently gifted Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich book, which instantly had me poring over the photographs therein. There are one or two rare shots of the man himself grinning (one with Britten, another - incredibly - during a rehearsal of that cheery little number, the 15th Quartet), though neither pic a patch on the inanely grinning imbibatorium wot adorns your profile.

Comment

Am hopelessly out of practice with the old clue-setting
                                G: A pestilent lion in New York
                                Without wishing to seem to be taking advantage -

Roberto Gerhard?

The Plague
                                Leo
                                Fourth Symphony.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X