This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    anything vaguely to do with their settings of Tenebrae ?
    ... not vaguely - exactly! But do please specify?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      please specify?
      I wish I could - I don't really understand it
      each "lesson" consisting of soloist and response, the soloist singing a melisma of the first letter of the Hebrew verse ............. or something

I really have no idea what I'm talking about and wikipedia isn't helping
      I'm sure my esteemed colleagues will be able to work it out

Comment

I wish I could - I don't really understand it
        each "lesson" consisting of soloist and response, the soloist singing a melisma of the first letter of the Hebrew verse ............. or something

I really have no idea what I'm talking about and wikipedia isn't helping
        I'm sure my esteemed colleagues will be able to work it out
        The first verse, which starts after the intoning of "Aleph" (the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet), begins with "Quomodo". See, e.g. the score of Couperin's setting at: http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/images/9/9...e_Tenebres.pdf

Comment

thanks scb

Comment

Yes: the verses of The Lamentations of Jeremiah which are used for the Tenebrae services are preceded by the letters of the Hebrew alphabet (aleph, beth, gimel, daleth etc). And the opening verse begins: "Quomodo sedet sola civitas plena populo?" ["How doth the city sit solitary, that was full of people!"]

Mercia correctly located this as part of Tenebrae; subcontra provided the detailed answer. Which of you wishes to Respond?
            Last edited by vinteuil; 12-02-12, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              Which of you wishes to Respond?
              I think subcontra should - he obviously knows what he's talking about

Comment

I think subcontra should - he obviously knows what he's talking about
                I would not have got there without you first identifying "Tenebrae". Then it was a simple matter of actually looking at a score.

Comment

An R, first used by Spinacino, defined one way by Galilei Senior, defined differently by Rousseau.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    An R, first used by Spinacino, defined one way by Galilei Senior, defined differently by Rousseau.
                    I think it is Ricercare.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      I think it is Ricercare.

Further explanation before you give us an S?

Comment

As well as being a pice of music, Ricercare is Resarch in Italian
                        Francesco Spinacino (fl. 1507) was an Italian lutenist and composer who wrote 27 ricercares.
                        The other two by their professions were involved in research.
                        Galileo was an Italian scientist whose work in the 17th century helped unlock many secrets of astronomy and natural motion.
                        Jean-Jacques Rousseau (28 June 1712 – 2 July 1778) was a Genevan
                        philosopher, writer, and composer of 18th-century Romanticism of French
                        expression. He wrote Ricercares also?

Comment

As well as being a pice of music, Ricercare is Resarch in Italian
                          Francesco Spinacino (fl. 1507) was an Italian lutenist and composer who wrote 27 ricercares.
                          The other two by their professions were involved in research.
                          Galileo was an Italian scientist whose work in the 17th century helped unlock many secrets of astronomy and natural motion.
                          Jean-Jacques Rousseau (28 June 1712 – 2 July 1778) was a Genevan
                          philosopher, writer, and composer of 18th-century Romanticism of French
                          expression. He wrote Ricercares also?
                          Wrong Galilei - the one in question was the father of Galileo. He and Rousseau wrote different academic descriptions of "Ricercare". Galilei described it as essentially a fantasia. Rousseau described it as essentially a fugue. Some composers, such as Frescobaldi, used both forms.

Comment

This S links Sergei; Kurt; Nothing but tea.

Comment

Kurt
                              Sanderling? Weill ? Vonnegut? Masur?

Comment

Sanderling? Weill ? Vonnegut? Masur?
                                OK

Comment

Working...
                                X