X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    (see above for my workings/twiddlings)
    Excellent ( or "well good", as da yoof have it). Now go on and Delight us...

Comment

A D to connect:
      - a female French concert pianist;
      - an American orchestral work from 1983;
      - a 1920s musical made into a film in the same decade.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... four minutes; not bad, not bad at all...

would you like to explain your workings to Caliban minor? - who's finding it hard to keep up*

[* as the bishop said to the actress]
        Far too busy on the composer lookalikes thread!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The 1920s Musical: was it filmed as a Musical, or as a silent film? (the Musical version following a few years after that?)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            The 1920s Musical: was it filmed as a Musical, or as a silent film? (the Musical version following a few years after that?)
            No, it was actually filmed with sound in two-tone technicolor, although only a black and white print survived.

Comment

Got to be, The Desert Song? Only joking, a gay friend of mine used to constantly watch it!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Got to be, The Desert Song? Only joking, a gay friend of mine used to constantly watch it!
                Well done, Anna. The film had to be re-made because of the supposedly lewd and overtly gay references.

Now that you've burst the dam, I suspect the other clues will follow in a welcome torrent

Comment

I thik you might be quite close Anna. Don't Desert us now. You might have struck a reich vein
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

<< Reich's The Desert Music, was written in 1983 for chorus and orchestra, with a text by American poet William Carlos Williams. It was considered a milestone work because it incorporated many of Reich's earlier techniques while being distinctly new.>>
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I see that one of the songs is entitled "I'll be a Buoyant Girl" which if sung hurriedly might suggest elements of hermaphrodism

Comment

Well done, Anna. The film had to be re-made because of the supposedly lewd and overtly gay references.
                        Which is why my friend loved it! Oh, I knew the third, I've forgotten it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                          << Reich's The Desert Music, was written in 1983 for chorus and orchestra, with a text by American poet William Carlos Williams. It was considered a milestone work because it incorporated many of Reich's earlier techniques while being distinctly new.>>
                          Indeed so. And Tilson Thomas was the first to record it. One of the few worthwhile things he has done, imho.

So who is the pianist? She's living and relatively young.

Comment

Claire Désert?

Comment

Indeed so. And Tilson Thomas was the first to record it. One of the few worthwhile things he has done, imho.

So who is the pianist? She's living and relatively young.
                              Sue Perkins?

Comment

Jacques Loussier was the castaway on Desert Island Discs on Sun 27 Sep 1987

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p009mlbl
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X