But... ?????

Go on, scb, troll in: don't be cryptic!
    They all wrote a piece for trombone:

Michael Haydn: Larghetto per il trombone concertato in F major

Elgar Howarth: Concerto for Trombone and Orchestra

Rimsky-Korsakov: Concerto in B♭, for trombone and military band

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
      A delightful discovery when compiling the question was that 'Rock of Ages' is the work of a chap called (The Reverend) Toplady.
      o, the Revd Augustus Toplady ("a zestful calvinist preacher") was an interesting cove -

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        They all wrote a piece for trombone:

Michael Haydn: Larghetto per il trombone concertato in F major

Elgar Howarth: Concerto for Trombone and Orchestra

Rimsky-Korsakov: Concerto in B♭, for trombone and military band

Close enough - on the card I have that they all wrote concertos for the trombone. Michael Haydn's in D seems to be moot - it's been recorded as a three movement work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIi9OgIcd5k

... but it seems the three movements were originally concertante movements in a longer work. It seems common ground that the solo part was inspired (no doubt like the Larghetto you mention) by the late eighteenth century master of the alto trombone, Austrian Thomas Gschladt.

For the curious: "Gschladt was a colleague of the famous French horn player Joseph Leutgeb for whom all of Mozart´s horn concertos were written. ....Salzburg Court Kapellmeister Eberlin, who died in 1762, had also written solos for him. The deputy Kapellmeister Lolli took over after Eberlin´s death but at the same time Michael Haydn was hired as court composer and orchestra leader. The horn virtuoso Joseph Leutgeb was also brought in from Vienna, and in November Leutgeb and Gschladt were featured at a concert for the Emperor Joseph and his bride. Michael Haydn apperas to have been present and the musicians went out for a drink at the Golden Spur afterwards. Aftter this, Haydn immediately started working on a double concerto for horn and trombone. Following the premiere of this piece, Michael Haydn felt even more encouraged to write for the trombone. The result was a ten-movement work featuring a solo trombone in three of the movements and demanding the utmost virtuosity from the performer. The title of the work is unknown, as the first page is missing. It has however been known as "Michael Haydn´s trombone symphony" and was later published as "Divertimento in D" "
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

... ah, that's good: Caliban is learning how to wear the Vinteuil anorak. And I must say he does it with some style...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... ah, that's good: Caliban is learning how to wear the Vinteuil anorak. And I must say he does it with some style...

I felt more like Stanley Grew!!

However I am honoured that you think I might be worthy of wearing Vinteuil's sacred raiment!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              But... ?????

Go on, scb, troll in: don't be cryptic!

Comment

Close enough - on the card I have that they all wrote concertos for the trombone. Michael Haydn's in D seems to be moot - it's been recorded as a three movement work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIi9OgIcd5k

... but it seems the three movements were originally concertante movements in a longer work. It seems common ground that the solo part was inspired (no doubt like the Larghetto you mention) by the late eighteenth century master of the alto trombone, Austrian Thomas Gschladt.

For the curious: "Gschladt was a colleague of the famous French horn player Joseph Leutgeb for whom all of Mozart´s horn concertos were written. ....Salzburg Court Kapellmeister Eberlin, who died in 1762, had also written solos for him. The deputy Kapellmeister Lolli took over after Eberlin´s death but at the same time Michael Haydn was hired as court composer and orchestra leader. The horn virtuoso Joseph Leutgeb was also brought in from Vienna, and in November Leutgeb and Gschladt were featured at a concert for the Emperor Joseph and his bride. Michael Haydn apperas to have been present and the musicians went out for a drink at the Golden Spur afterwards. Aftter this, Haydn immediately started working on a double concerto for horn and trombone. Following the premiere of this piece, Michael Haydn felt even more encouraged to write for the trombone. The result was a ten-movement work featuring a solo trombone in three of the movements and demanding the utmost virtuosity from the performer. The title of the work is unknown, as the first page is missing. It has however been known as "Michael Haydn´s trombone symphony" and was later published as "Divertimento in D" "
                Grove does not list this among his concertos, but suggests that it is probably a compilation of movements from two trombone concertos, a trumpet concerto and a symphony.

Comment

Grove does not list this among his concertos, but suggests that it is probably a compilation of movements from two trombone concertos, a trumpet concerto and a symphony.
                  These are murky waters, Watson...

However: it is crystal clear that the U falls to u.

Comment

A U to link Denis, Louis and Francis to another Francis.

Comment

I felt more like Stanley Grew!!
                      You mean Sidney has a brother??

You mean - there are TWO of them???

Comment

Happy to, cloughie! (Having been brought up in Nottingham in the 60s and 70s, you'll understand the potency of your pseudonym!! Why did you choose it? Were / are you a fan?)

And what are you singing, out of curiosity?
                        Responses to interrogation, no Nottingham connections, just a surname abbreviation. My football allegiances are Owl-shaped, who at the moment are pear-shaped. The singing is in an informal group of members of a male voice choir who enjoy busking reasonably harmonically. Our repertoire is broadly Cornish songs, old and new.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          You mean Sidney has a brother??

You mean - there are TWO of them???

Sidney Stanley Schmidney Schtanley, same difference!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Responses to interrogation, no Nottingham connections, just a surname abbreviation. My football allegiances are Owl-shaped, who at the moment are pear-shaped. The singing is in an informal group of members of a male voice choir who enjoy busking reasonably harmonically. Our repertoire is broadly Cornish songs, old and new.

Thanks for the details!

The witness may stand down

Comment

Thanks for the details!
                              The witness may stand down
                              Ahem! If I could remind Learned Counsel that Mr. Dumbledore has been waiting over one hour and twenty of the clock for someone to step forward and bear Witness to his Most Excellent Conundrum! It may be the weekend, and we have no homes to go to, but that does not excuse this level of levity and talk of Owls and Cornish fishermen!
                              A U to link Denis, Louis and Francis to another Francis.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                Ahem! If I could remind Learned Counsel that Mr. Dumbledore has been waiting over one hour and twenty of the clock for someone to step forward and bear Witness to his Most Excellent Conundrum! It may be the weekend, and we have no homes to go to, but that does not excuse this level of levity and talk of Owls and Cornish fishermen!
                                If I'd a single clue as to what the U means I would have thrown something in, probably to be scorned by words to the effect of 'what you on about'. I was merely being civil! Is this the treatment all new boys get?

Comment

Working...
                                X