This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    I think we are waiting for someone to tease out the details of the U question first.
    Sorry, that's what happens entering halfway through. Anything to do with Urquhart?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Sorry, that's what happens entering halfway through. Anything to do with Urquhart?
      No. We have had two bits of the answer. They just need joining up.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        No. We have had two bits of the answer. They just need joining up.
        I look forward to the Tombeau or even urn as lons it gets buried soon! (always did prefer Ravel to Couperin).

Comment

I think we've established the answer is uncle.
          Denis was the uncle of Louis, a Francois, Charles and some others.
          Couperin the Great, the other Francois, was a son of Charles, making I guess Louis and the first Francois among his uncles.
          All rather complicated - a family dynasty, fathers, sons, uncles, cousins etc. etc.

If any of this is correct I would be more than happy for cloughie or anyone else to set the V question.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            I think we've established the answer is uncle.
            Denis was the uncle of Louis, a Francois, Charles and some others.
            Couperin the Great, the other Francois, was a son of Charles, making I guess Louis and the first Francois among his uncles.
            All rather complicated - a family dynasty, fathers, sons, uncles, cousins etc. etc.

If any of this is correct I would be more than happy for cloughie or anyone else to set the V question.
            Close. There is a younger Denis, brother of Louis and Francois and Charles. So Denis, Louis, and Francois are all uncles to Francois (Couperin le Grand), the son of Charles.

You were first with the Couperin family and vinteuil seems to have been first with uncle, so fight it out amongst yourselves for the privilege of setting a V.

Comment

V

an espouser of poetical destiny, Pang and Return of the Living Dead

I shall have to catch up with this in the early hours - offline now.
              Last edited by mercia; 18-02-12, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                V

an espouser of poetical destiny, Pang and Return of the Living Dead

Can't make head nor tail of this, mercs me mucker
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Can't make head nor tail of this, mercs me mucker
                  "Destiny" is, I think, a red herring to make us think of Verdi (The Force thereof.)

The composer of the Music for the film Return of the Living Dead is Matt Clifford, who also arranged the Music for Darcey Bussell and Katherine Jenkins' Viva la Diva.

But no joy from the Pang!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    "Destiny" is, I think, a red herring to make us think of Verdi (The Force thereof.)

The composer of the Music for the film Return of the Living Dead is Matt Clifford, who also arranged the Music for Darcey Bussell and Katherine Jenkins' Viva la Diva.

It's Venturini , innit

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Max Clifford?!

Surely not

Comment

Pang was the obvious clue leading one to Puccini's Turandot (Ping, Pang and Pong). The singer at the opera's 1926 premiere was one Emilio Venturini. The poet was Serge Venturini, a Frenchman, and there was an actor who was in Return of the Living Dead called Mark Venturini who died of Leukemia aged 35. All this was gleaned via Wikipedia, I confess, I had never heard of any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Max Clifford?!

Surely not
                          He wrote MATT, ammy. Get those eyes tested, or stop doing whatever it is that's making 'em go funny

A propos of which: Time for a W, methinks...

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            He wrote MATT, ammy. Get those eyes tested, or stop doing whatever it is that's making 'em go funny
                            If only that were an option, rubbers

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                              Pang was the obvious clue

Well done! Looks like you've got yourself the W as mercs has b*ggered off till the early hours... I'd just crack on if I were you...

And your very kind gift happens to be playing as I write. Not going to say what it is as there are fertile AA pickings on it, for use when you are otherwise engaged. But very good it is Really rich, throaty instrument, isn't it
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Really rich, throaty instrument, isn't it
                                Deeply so. Is it a Ruckers, or perhaps a Blanchet? Old Kenyon was banging on about similar things in BAL this morning.

I'm warming up a W...

Comment

Working...
                                X