This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting (we learn so much here):

In the Vietnam war Prisoner of War would authenticate a new prisoner's American identity by tapping the first 5 notes of "Shave and a Haircut," against a cell wall, waiting for the appropriate response. American POWs were then able to communicate securely with one another via the quadratic alphabet code (the Tap Code): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_alphabet_code
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

This has been one of those not infrequent occasions on which I've understand neither the question nor the answer (nor indeed the explanation of the answer). But I have high hopes of doing better with 'F'.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Yes, we have no bananas! Say Goonight Flay
        Goodnight x x
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          So Ferney got it right in #14538....
          Yes and I said that

Originally Posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Erwartung?

... suggesting "Expectation" for the others? (Don't quite see how, yet!)
          but he didn't clarify Melodic Expectation.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
            This has been one of those not infrequent occasions on which I've understand neither the question nor the answer (nor indeed the explanation of the answer). But I have high hopes of doing better with 'F'.
            To recap:

Mrs Marais (above) would have been an expert in this E
            In the second E a woman finds her lover dead
            The third E can be melodic inevitability, in theory.

Mrs Marais had many an expectation in that she had 19 children (forgive me for that)
            Erwartung translates as Expectation
            And we have the term "melodic expectation" in music theory

Anna's got the right idea To bed while Norfy dreams up an F
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              but he didn't clarify Melodic Expectation.
              Being a bit picky, who was the woman who found her lover dead? (If I have missed this, then apologies for being a bit slow but I think that was clue 2) Edit: Ah, an expectation of death of a lover? All is clear as mud now Double Edit: I had thought it might be something to do with Melody Nelson (Serge Gainsbourg) but she was killed by Cargo Culte, not expectations. Brill cd though

Comment

Erwartung (Schoenberg) from Wiki:

Synopsis

Time: Night
                Place: A forest
                A woman is in an apprehensive state as she searches for her lover. In the darkness, she comes across what she first thinks is a body, but then realises is a tree-trunk. She is frightened and becomes more anxious as she cannot find the man she is looking for. She then finds a dead body, and sees that it is her lover. She calls out for assistance, but there is no response. She tries to revive him, and addresses him as if he were still alive, angrily charging him with being unfaithful to her. She then asks herself what she is to do with her life, as her lover is now dead. Finally, she wanders off alone into the night.
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

A woman is in an apprehensive state as she searches for her lover. In the darkness, she comes across what she first thinks is a body, but then realises is a tree-trunk.
                  Story of my life! Edit: Memo to self, stop hugging trees!

Comment

Good night, Anna x
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Good night, Anna x
                      You too Flay, sweet dreams to you and all AAers. x It's always darker before dawn and a new puzzle to lighten our day!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Story of my life! Edit: Memo to self, stop hugging trees!
                        Well it does get very dark in the Welsh countryside... Easy mistake to make..
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Well it does get very dark in the Welsh countryside... Easy mistake to make..
                          It's got a bit darker here since they started switching off most of the street lights between midnight and 5.00 a.m.

Comment

It's got a bit darker here since they started switching off most of the street lights between midnight and 5.00 a.m.
                            Blimey!

Norfy, Flay suggested we were waiting for an F from you I thought it was fhg...

Comment

Sorry - I didn't realize the honour (?) had fallen to me. I'll devise an 'F' while munching my lunch.

Comment

Sorry - I didn't realize the honour (?) had fallen to me. I'll devise an 'F' while munching my lunch.

That would be great. Seems a long time since we've had an East Anglian puzzle

Comment

Working...
                                X