No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then there's forever and for ever. Oxford Dictionaries suggest they are alternatives ('Scotland Forever').

Is it a case of "They think they're alternatives … they are now"? I've certainly made the distinction between the adverbial phrase which can stand alone. 'For ever' could be a complete answer the question "How long?" But 'forever' in my customary lexicon has to qualify a verbal form - 'They're forever arguing'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Then there's forever and for ever. Oxford Dictionaries suggest they are alternatives ('Scotland Forever').

Is it a case of "They think they're alternatives … they are now"? I've certainly made the distinction between the adverbial phrase which can stand alone. 'For ever' could be a complete answer the question "How long?" But 'forever' in my customary lexicon has to qualify a verbal form - 'They're forever arguing'.
      Moving a little off-topic - this reminds me of the graffiti on a bus shelter which read "BNP 4 EVA" to which someone had added "Braun". Rather sorry when the council had it (all) removed.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Tennyson springs to mind, courtesy of Britten: Our echoes roll from soul to soul, And grow for ever and for ever. Blow bugle blow....

Delightful of the OED to remind us that forever rhymes with

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Ah, yes, Grewish English...

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I'm tempted to suggest that it's all together ridiculous to follow the patterns of one's parents, all though I accept that this might be discourteous to the point of being all most offensive; for which, I apologise.
            All right!

Comment

I found this on hyphenated to-day (etc) from David Crystal:

http://david-crystal.blogspot.com/20...to-morrow.html

And this, from Oxford Dictionaries:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/wo...ght-or-alright

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                All right!
                A famous alright

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  I remember thinking at the time: that's blown our election chances completely.

Comment

But it was spoken - you've never seen the written text.

You don't know how he spelt it.

Comment

Interesting to see the comments about the word 'facetious' on the other thread: current usage, to me, is much closer to 'flippant' which the OED somewhat ponderously (article not updated since 1897) defines as:

Displaying unbecoming levity in the consideration of serious subjects or in behaviour to persons entitled to respect.

Levity is a good general word. I'd usually apply 'flippancy' and 'facetiousness' to verbal utterances; 'frivolity' to behaviour, actions - light-hearted and perhaps irresponsible in small matters.

I don't think that a 'facetious comment' implies sarcasm on the part of the speaker: just an attempt at being funny that falls on an unappreciative audience.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I don't think that a 'facetious comment' implies sarcasm on the part of the speaker: just an attempt at being funny that falls on an unappreciative audience.
                        - Private Walker's comments are facetious; Warden Hodges' are sarcastic.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

No real 'thinking' required, you are absolutely correct according to the official dictionaries I have consulted. However belatedly, I am now the wiser, at least as far as being 'facetious' is concerned!

However, the fact that one perceptive member thought it necessary to post the definition(s) of 'facetious' on the other thread indicates I was not entirely alone in my previous confusion/ignorance as to its true meaning.

However, I see another definition listed is 'mischievous' which is probably a more accurate synonym for the word used by most people today?

Comment

Was there, however, an element of sarcasm in Private Walker's comments, however playful ... ?

However, I do take your point over the difference between the two!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                                However, I see another definition listed is 'mischievous' which is probably a more accurate synonym for the word used by most people today?
                                I think there are two aspects to consider (if so inclined):

Primarily, in what spirit was the [facetious] comment offered?

In what spirit was it received?

To my mind, the intention is purely to be jokey. Not sarcastic and not really mischievous either. Just, to be funny.

Received (somewhat disapprovingly): Not funny (and perhaps rather tiresome, pathetic, why did you bother? &c) .

Comment

Working...
                                X