No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosts: would this be more at home on Pedants' Paradise? If so, please move.
    Above my pay-grade! However I was wondering whether having mentioned competetivity on Pedants' Paradise, I should have posted it here. Maybe we should do a swap?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      Is there such a word as competetivity?

(It was used several times by Sir Somebody-or-Other on R4's News programme just before the 0755 weather forecast today.)
      I would have thought competitiveness would suffice. But, as with several other examples I have noted of late that fail to come to mind at present, two words are being made to serve a purpose where one would, I think, do.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Is there such a word as competetivity?

(It was used several times by Sir Somebody-or-Other on R4's News programme just before the 0755 weather forecast today.)
        If it exists wouldn't it be spelt "competitivity"?

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          If it exists wouldn't it be spelt "competitivity"?
          Indeed:

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            So, presumably the capacity for competitiveness, then, as opposed to the actuality?

Comment

The T at the end of flageolet is pronounced, as is the S at the end of Louis in Robert Louis Stevenson. Both were missing in today's Time Traveller slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                The T at the end of flageolet is pronounced, as is the S at the end of Louis in Robert Louis Stevenson. Both were missing in today's Time Traveller slot.
                It was thanks to Humphrey Lyttleton that I learned to pronounce the 's' in Satchmo's first name.
                We're currently working our way through a 3-CD set of recordings of I'M Sorry I Haven't A Clue, which I recently purchased from a charity shop. Samantha hasn't aged a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                  I'm relieved to see that the Oxford Dictionary permits us to drop the t when referring to the bean (which I refer to rather more often).

Comment

On 'Hello Dolly', Louis Armstrong himself sings "This Is LouiS, Dolly"

My friends and I went to a double recording of ISIHAC in Glasgow. It was 'fall off your seat' funny - Susan Calman and Fred MacAulay were two of the players and they just gelled perfectly. I still have my purple kazoo. Just before the show, the smartly-dressed elderly gent next to me leaned over and, with a perfectly straight face, said: "I wonder if it will be Samantha or Sven tonight? "

Comment

A news presenter just asked: "you're self-isolating yourself aren't you?"

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
                        Answer: "No, the doctor self-isolated me."(*) I think we'll hear it, however daft it is to logicians/ pedants

EDIT (*) = "The doctor recommended I should self-isolate and I'm following his suggestion."
                        Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 18-03-20, 16:28. Reason: EDIT added
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
                          To say/ask 'You yourself are self-isolating, aren't you?' though would be OK, wouldn't it?

Comment

To say/ask 'You yourself are self-isolating, aren't you?' though would be OK, wouldn't it?
                            Wouldn't 'You are self-isolating?' be sufficient? I did wonder if that was what was meant, if clumsily expressed.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Wouldn't 'You are self-isolating?' be sufficient? I did wonder if that was what was meant, if clumsily expressed.
                              I guess that the 'yourself' simply adds an emphasis (and possibly in this case a useful singular/plural distinction?).

Comment

I guess that the 'yourself' simply adds an emphasis (and possibly in this case a useful singular/plural distinction?).
                                If you're Irish there's no problem with all this 'self-ness'. If not, you'll be arguing about it for a week. I, myself, am self-isolating as advised, and so is herself - she is self-isolating too. It might happen that we'll have no choice, in which case I guess we'll be isolated.

Comment

Working...
                                X