No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with simply isolating yourself?

"Self-isolate" is obviously a confusing neologism to many, because ministers and civil servants have been told to add the words "stay at home" whenever they mention it.

Comment

Well - you can become isolated without wishing to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        I guess that the 'yourself' simply adds an emphasis (and possibly in this case a useful singular/plural distinction?).
        Is it not possible to we yourself, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Is it not possible to we yourself, then?
          Isn't that what incontinence pads are for?

Comment

I've heard talk on the radio recently of a coroner virus which is going around. I hope I've heard the last of it because with the coronavirus necessitating emergency measures for issuing death certificates, another disease specifically affecting coroners must be particularly unwelcome.

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
              I've heard talk on the radio recently of a coroner virus which is going around. I hope I've heard the last of it because with the coronavirus necessitating emergency measures for issuing death certificates, another disease specifically affecting coroners must be particularly unwelcome.

Comment

Apologies if this has been done already but whither ‘at’ in ‘Stay At Home’? Was it surrendered in exchange for permission to unnecessarily import ‘furlough’?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                  Apologies if this has been done already but whither ‘at’ in ‘Stay At Home’? Was it surrendered in exchange for permission to unnecessarily import ‘furlough’?
                  Didn't need to import furlough, it had already been in use in this country for military leave, although admittedly not for some time.

Comment

Me and Phoebe had a joke years ago....
                    Just read that in a Guardian interview. I guess the notion of a subject 'I' and object 'me' has now pretty much gone. But I was suddenly wondering whether the Queen's often-parodied 'my husband and I' had made that usage seem 'posh' to some - together with the royals' usage of 'one', perhaps.

Also, teachers' admonitions about correct usage of I seem to have produced confusion and rebellion! (I have an educated friend who will say 'she gave that to my partner and I'.)

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                      Someone has said that furlough is used in a military context but in over seventy years I have only ever heard it in the context of missionaries returning home on leave. As in - the meeting will be addressed by Joe Bloggs on furlough from Timbuktu.
                      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
                        Someone has said that furlough is used in a military context but in over seventy years I have only ever heard it in the context of missionaries returning home on leave. As in - the meeting will be addressed by Joe Bloggs on furlough from Timbuktu.
                        Well missionaries were fighting the good fight weren't they...
                        I remember various (male) members of my mother's family referring to furlough, but it was old-fashioned even then.

I am aware there could be a double entendre there but I'm not going to edit it

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          I guess the notion of a subject 'I' and object 'me' has now pretty much gone...
                          A headline from the Shropshire Star yesterday: Trust in he who conquered death.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Well missionaries were fighting the good fight weren't they...
                            I remember various (male) members of my mother's family referring to furlough, but it was old-fashioned even then.

I am aware there could be a double entendre there but I'm not going to edit it
                            Yes, nicely said. Of course missionaries were fighting the good fight - very often for their lives.
                            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                              A headline from the Shropshire Star yesterday: Trust in he who conquered death.
                              I can live with that!

We would say Trust in God, for example, so if you believe that Christ is 'He who conquered Death', we could allow Trust in He who conquered Death.
                              If there was (were?) a comma, it would be different: Trust in Him, who conquered Death!

Comment

“Furlough” hitherto had no meaning in employment law, not even colloquially such as possibly to justify it being used now in the way it is. It shows such an absence of imagination on the part of Cummings. I find this man a daily insult to my intelligence. I dearly wish he would go away.

Comment

Working...
                                X