Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Pedantry gawn mad.

Comment

Pedantry gawn mad.
      Spoilsport!

Comment

have we lost the distinction between Mothering Sunday (aka Laetare Sunday, Refreshment Sunday, Rose Sunday) which occurs in the middle of Lent (and this year was 10 March), and Mother's Day, a recent US invention (well, from the early 20th century) which takes place on the second Sunday in May (this year 12 May)?

My mother would never have accepted 'Mother's Day'...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Spoilsport!
          Killjoy was here!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            have we lost the distinction between Mothering Sunday (aka Laetare Sunday, Refreshment Sunday, Rose Sunday) which occurs in the middle of Lent (and this year was 10 March), and Mother's Day, a recent US invention (well, from the early 20th century) which takes place on the second Sunday in May (this year 12 May)?
            Yes, we have, I'm afraid. I suspect most greetings cards now refer to Mothers' Day. Or Mother's Day.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes, we have, I'm afraid. I suspect most greetings cards now refer to Mothers' Day. Or Mother's Day.
              I reckon another day should be decided for celebrating everyone who dares to fall outside all designated categories. One could call it Some Others' Day, or Smothers' Day for short.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                One could call it Some Others' Day, or Smothers' Day for short.
                Or Smuffersdoavem Day for longer

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post

Or Smuffersdoavem Day for longer
                  Oooh Betty!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I reckon another day should be decided for celebrating everyone who dares to fall outside all designated categories. One could call it Some Others' Day, or Smothers' Day for short.
                    Or Sound of Cinema Sunday...

Comment

St Mary’s Church in Astbury, Congleton – whose stone doorway was installed in the 12th century
                      (my bold)
                      I've noticed this several times recently - it occurs again later in the article from which this came. Shouldn't it be "the stone doorway of which" rather than "whose"? Rewriting the whole sentence slightly differently would also remove "whose" and perhaps not sound so formal as my suggestion above.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        (my bold)
                        I've noticed this several times recently - it occurs again later in the article from which this came. Shouldn't it be "the stone doorway of which" rather than "whose"? Rewriting the whole sentence slightly differently would also remove "whose" and perhaps not sound so formal as my suggestion above.
                        Thei Merriam_Webster article makes good sense to me.

Comment

(my bold)
                          Why not just 'the' stone doorway, or 'this stone doorway' if providing a caption for a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Thei Merriam_Webster article makes good sense to me.
                            A well-argued article. I presume it's factually correct to say that constructions with 'of which' were introduced by later pedants. I need to sit down and think about 'of whom' but I'm (about to be) busy at the moment..

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Why not just 'the' stone doorway, or 'this stone doorway' if providing a caption for a picture?
                              It was from an article about vandalism and there was no picture to caption.
                              The warden at St Mary’s Church in Astbury, Congleton – whose stone doorway was installed in the 12th century – called the police after discovering that up to 90 York stone slabs had been stolen

Comment

It was from an article about vandalism and there was no picture to caption.
                                https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...-crisis-report
                                Sorry - I didn't realize the stone doorway belonged to the warden.

Comment

Working...
                                X