This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

I was thinking more of the scattergun approach to apostrophes adopted by most Gen Z, and musing just how English teachers could justify drawing a salary!
    And I was thinking of the poor Year-5 kids who undergo torture every 'Literacy' lesson at school.

Comment

I mean don't they ever correct essays which start "me/myself and my friends went..."?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Each time I cycle up Warwick Road I tend to think Earl's Court proper has been liquidated since the demolition of the exhibition hall! Amazing to think that Earl's Court was a tiny village when what was to be the District Line station first went through - or, rather, terminated there for quite a few years. There are photographs from about 1870 to prove it. We had a piano tuner in his 90s in the early 1950s - a Mr Clapp! - who remembered the district as being rural!
        Not that it's particularly relevant, but we lived in Warwick Road for a while in 1970, having got married in Kensington Register Office, which is now a private residence. There seemed to be a lot of Australians around.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Not that it's particularly relevant, but we lived in Warwick Road for a while in 1970, having got married in Kensington Register Office, which is now a private residence. There seemed to be a lot of Australians around.
          New Zealanders too, although without very close attention for differences the accents are very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

New Zealanders too, although without very close attention for differences the accents are very similar.
            As it happens, the couple in the room above us were New Zealanders
            If memory serves, it cost us just a few pre-decimal pence to take the Tube to High Street Kensington, where we would do our main shop of the week at Sainsbury's.

Comment

This may be sheer pedantry, but I wonder how the translation of YLE's opera performance came to render 'The Morehouse-Spelman Chorus, the Young Singers of Callanwolde, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Robert Shaw
              as
              Morehouse-Spelman choir, 'Bot's Young Boots of Callanwolde, Atlanta Symphony Choir and Ork/Robert Shaw)

?? Perhaps this should be on the La Tribune thread for translation discussion.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It is still possible to see the scratch marks in a wooden panel made by the pub’s guard dogs.
                Talented dogs - they can earn their keep as carpenters...

Comment

A fifth of female climate scientists who responded to Guardian survey said they had opted to have no or fewer children
                  ... fewer than none? That's impressive

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Bravo, but I think you extrapolate, sir. The answer to your question is probably, No - not fewer than none. Fewer than they might have had, had they not held the concerns they clearly do. Or fewer than 2.4. Or fewer than their next door neighbours. Or .... [fill in the gap]. In contextu omnis.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Just goes to show how important the humble comma can be.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Bravo, but I think you extrapolate, sir. The answer to your question is probably, No - not fewer than none. Fewer than they might have had, had they not held the concerns they clearly do. Or fewer than 2.4. Or fewer than their next door neighbours. Or .... [fill in the gap]. In contextu omnis.
                        ... o I know.

But confusion wd've been avoided had they said - "They opted to have fewer children, or none."

Comment

But confusion wd've been avoided had they said - "They opted to have fewer children, or none.".
                          Or, depending on their priorities: "They opted to have no children, or at least - a bit of a cop-out - fewer children than they might otherwise have done were they not taking their self-imposed responsibilities so seriously."

I think that would make their position clear.

Comment

From The Independent online:

Meghan Markle wore an ode to her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana, during her recent trip to Nigeria.​

Was Diana ever Meghan's mother-in-law?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Was Diana ever Meghan's mother-in-law?[/COLOR]
                              Is or was? A mother-in-law is the mother of your husband, or wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                From The Independent online:

Meghan Markle wore an ode to her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana, during her recent trip to Nigeria.​

Was Diana ever Meghan's mother-in-law?
                                As she wasn't alive when they married I don't see how that can be correct.
                                How do you wear an ode?

Comment

Working...
                                X