X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

As she wasn't alive when they married I don't see how that can be correct.
    How do you wear an ode?
    On the front of a T-shirt I guess. I can't imagine one printed on the front of a formal dress, unless making some celebrity fashionista's statement.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

As she wasn't alive when they married I don't see how that can be correct.
      How do you wear an ode?
      I thought that an odd word to use too.
      I can't find the article any more, but it was some piece of jewellery given in tribute to Diana that Harry inherited.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

It sounds to me like an attempt to establish a connection to The Duchess' benefit, in view of the fact that Diana has been revered by some and the Duchess has been reviled by many.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I thought that an odd word to use too.
          I can't find the article any more, but it was some piece of jewellery given in tribute to Diana that Harry inherited.
          This(from People) makes more sense, although I would question the necklace being sentimental, as it isn't sentient - "has sentimental value" is the more usual way to describe such things. The strapline repeats the MIL thing though.

Meghan Markle found a special way to honor Princess Diana during her trip to Nigeria.
          The Duchess of Sussex, 42, wore a sentimental necklace that belonged to Prince Harry's mother to a reception for military families in Abuja on May 11.​

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

Since word-processors came into use it's become easy to chop and edit words. leaving some in, and 'a necklace of sentimental value' could easily have become 'a sentimental necklace' to save a line of print. I often see words which suggest they've survived from an amended or deleted sentence where they'd have made more sense. .

'Sentimental' has come to have a pejorative connotation along with 'maudlin' and 'tearjerker' , the much-publicised reaction to Diana's death being an example, whether or not it was as widespread as some media wanted us to believe ('A Nation in Shock' etc.) . But it may be recalled that it used to be quite a respectable word. In the 18th century it denoted a man capable of deep thought ('.The man of sentiment, among his books')

I suspect that the use of the word 'ode' has come about by ignorant confusion with 'tribute' . An ode was often written as a tribute. So they mean 'she wore it as an act of tribute'. There's a word for this isn't there? Mis-association? It reminds me of a scheme to get people to hand in unwanted musical instruments so they could be used in education. It was referred to as 'an amnesty', presumably by someone who thought that word simply meant an appeal for items, and not a period during which the law would be suspended (or, strictly, 'forgotten' ) provided you handed in some illegal item.
            Last edited by smittims; 14-05-24, 11:20.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              It was referred to as 'an amnesty', presumably by someone who thought that word simply meant an appeal for items, and not a period during which the law would be suspended (or, strictly, 'forgotten' ) provided you handed in some illegal item.
              MMM... I wonder if many musicians would go out with bassoons or other instruments to use as weapons!

OTOH Al Capone had a neat line in violin cases.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Young McKinney told us all about the Halle's concert at 4.00 p.m. this afternoon, adding that it was repeated a few days ago.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  Young McKinney told us all about the Halle's concert at 4.00 p.m. this afternoon, adding that it was repeated a few days ago.
                  So this was the third time we could have listened to it?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I guess so!

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Lucky.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

From today's Times (Chelsea Flower Show report on Queen Camilla's visit):

She visited the Sue Ryder garden ‘so peaceful, so lovely’ and looked at the Bees for Development stand, an​ organisation she is president off saying: “I have bees of my own.”
                        In the Bridgerton garden she saw a stone bench that popped open to reveal a hidden draw containing diaries and documents.​

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Hmmm... 'off', 'draw'. Is this just lack of education or is it the result of dictation-software?

I dislike 'off of', and 'I should of known...' which seem to me to indicate a lack of reading.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            In the Bridgerton garden she saw a stone bench that popped open to reveal a hidden draw containing diaries and documents.​
                            Apparently people do make a clear distinction now between verb draw - /drɔː/ - and drawer - OED /ˈdrɔː(r)ə/ for one who draws (but /drɔː/ where you put things). US English still seems to give /ˈdrɔər/ or /ˈdrɑər/ for drawer in both senses.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                              Host
                              • Jun 2018

Apparently people do make a clear distinction now between verb draw - /drɔː/ - and drawer - OED /ˈdrɔː(r)ə/ for one who draws (but /drɔː/ where you put things). US English still seems to give /ˈdrɔər/ or /ˈdrɑər/ for drawer in both senses.
                              Perhaps they were secreted in half of a pair of under-garments? Winter draws on...

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

. Loved it.

Comment

Working...
                                X