X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

can "whereabouts" be singular or plural?

the whereabouts of X is a mystery / the whereabouts of X are a mystery

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

"And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil", from The Lord's Prayer:

I've wondered about this since I can remember. The request to the almighty to delivere us from evil is not counterposed to not being led into temptation, surely; so why the "but"?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil"

I've wondered about this since I can remember. The request to the almighty to delivere us from evil is not counterposed to not being led into temptation, surely; so why the "but"?
        It seems all right to me. 'Don't do that - but - Do this'?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil"

God has a choice to make: He can "deliver us from evil", or "lead us into temptation" (which seems a bit mean-spirited: perhaps "allow us to let t'other chap lead us into said temptation". In the prayer, the supplicant is insuring him/herself against either/both possibilities.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            can "whereabouts" be singular or plural?

the whereabouts of X is a mystery / the whereabouts of X are a mystery
            One of my dictionaries gives "whereabouts" as an adverb, "near what place" - the other one needs further dictionarial explanation! Neither gives the word as a noun. I would think the latter usage to be colloquial, either in the singular or plural, in which case "is" or "are" would be OK I suppose.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

The OED has it as a noun as early as 1795, but none of the examples it gives has it as subject so there's no clue as to whether it was regarded as singular or plural:

1795 T. Twining Let. 15 Feb. in S. Parr Wks. (1828) VIII. 273 By way of giving you the whereabouts of my present political opinions.

1853 C. C. Leitch in Mem. (1856) 125 The..questions of the whereabouts and the what-like of a new bungalow.

1878 P. Bayne Puritan Revol. i. 12 Bunyan wrote the Pilgrim's Progress..without giving a hint of his ecclesiastical where~abouts.

1903 Times 3 May 3/6 The prisoner..succeeded in concealing his whereabouts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                It seems all right to me. 'Don't do that - but - Do this'?
                Yes I suppose that makes for sequential logic, thanks. Somehow the "but" seems to countermand the initial "and", without which, "lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil" would seems to offer God a positive rather than the merely negative option implied by the "but".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  God has a choice to make: He can "deliver us from evil", or "lead us into temptation" (which seems a bit mean-spirited: perhaps "allow us to let t'other chap lead us into said temptation". In the prayer, the supplicant is insuring him/herself against either/both possibilities.
                  Yes that figures too, ferney. My fundamentalist cousins are always asking me why I'm not a Christian!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    The OED has it as a noun as early as 1795, but none of the examples it gives has it as subject so there's no clue as to whether it was regarded as singular or plural:

1795 T. Twining Let. 15 Feb. in S. Parr Wks. (1828) VIII. 273 By way of giving you the whereabouts of my present political opinions.

1853 C. C. Leitch in Mem. (1856) 125 The..questions of the whereabouts and the what-like of a new bungalow.

1878 P. Bayne Puritan Revol. i. 12 Bunyan wrote the Pilgrim's Progress..without giving a hint of his ecclesiastical where~abouts.

1903 Times 3 May 3/6 The prisoner..succeeded in concealing his whereabouts.
                    English linguistics not my thing, but I'd suggest that the 's' isn't a plural marker but an adverbial marker: as in to go forward(s)/backward(s)/sideways/hereabouts. 'Where' and 'abouts' have been fused to form a noun.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      English linguistics not my thing, but I'd suggest that the 's' isn't a plural marker but an adverbial marker: as in to go forward(s)/backward(s)/sideways/hereabouts. 'Where' and 'abouts' have been fused to form a noun.
                      ... others like that where the "s" suffix is not plural are indoors, amidships, unawares, besides

Another slightly weird variant is:
                      Where exactly abouts does he live? (or indeed: Where the ---- abouts does he live?)

or:
                      Wheres about do you come from? (American?)

My suggestion: Hows about a drink?

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        English linguistics not my thing, but I'd suggest that the 's' isn't a plural marker but an adverbial marker...
                        Certainly is was when the verb was solely an adverb - but now that it has the option of being a noun as well, who knows how the s will be interpreted?

(I did carefully say of the examples the OED gives there's no clue as to whether it was regarded as singular or plural:)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

I thought it was Satan who did the leading (Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden, & Christ in the desert), & is the evil that God is supposed to deliver us from?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            but now that it has the option of being a noun as well, who knows how the s will be interpreted?[/I])
                            Indeed, and that's how language evolves, isn't it. People will associate a final s with a plural, hence: His whereabouts are unknown.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              I thought it was Satan who did the leading (Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden, & Christ in the desert), & is the evil that God is supposed to deliver us from?
                              I'd've thought so, too, Flossie - but this is junior's own prayer, so He should know ...
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

I'd've thought so, too, Flossie - but this is junior's own prayer, so He should know ...

Comment

Working...
                                X