Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Sadly I've now got to the stage, for several reasons, of not being able to muster energy to protest direct anymore.
    So did I. Hence The Silence of the Friends.

Does snail mail fare better? The cost of stamps is another deterrent if it doesn't elicit a response, even just "Thank you for your letter etc".
    It might if you add a 'Copied to' at the bottom, naming people with possible influence/interest. If you don't want the added postal expense, you don't have to copy it to anyone.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It's been mentioned many times that the constant repetition of "the home of classical music" doesn't make a lot of sense. The longstanding listening audiences will disagree with both the term itself and the level to which the phrase is accurate. There is also irritation at being frequently reminded that "you are listening to R3" which generally precedes it. However, yesterday another aspect floated through my idling mind - given what a turn-off the words "classical music" are to so many people, how can being the home of it possibly be an attractant to the new listeners that are apparently the justification for the level of adverts, and an aim of management? Related to that is the difficulty that it doesn't even accurately describe the R3 content, as it excludes jazz, world, film etc . No indication of the world of music on offer(even in the station's now reduced quality of output) , some at least of which could well be of interest to current non- listeners. Perhaps there are better targeted ads on the Dumbtime content, but I don't listen so can't say, but I rather doubt it.
      Sadly I've now got to the stage, for several reasons, of not being able to muster energy to protest direct anymore. The lack of response, not even an auto-reply to emails to various addresses, has had the desired effect(for management) of making me stop. Does snail mail fare better? The cost of stamps is another deterrent if it doesn't elicit a response, even just "Thank you for your letter etc".
      Ah, but more trails means less needle time and therefore lower costs

Comment

Sending a letter to R3 would be an expensive way to protest. A first class stamp is now £1.25 after a rise of 47% in 18 months. Twenty years ago, a tiny, sticky picture of Queen Elizabeth would have set you back 28p. https://priceofastamp.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
          Sending a letter to R3 would be an expensive way to protest. A first class stamp is now £1.25 after a rise of 47% in 18 months. Twenty years ago, a tiny, sticky picture of Queen Elizabeth would have set you back 28p. https://priceofastamp.co.uk/
          You could send it second class - in practice it is often as quick (alledgedly): https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...il-delays.html

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

You could send it second class - in practice it is often as quick (alledgedly): https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...il-delays.html
            Possibly, but that would still cost 75p plus the writing paper and an envelope. It would have been more practical twenty years ago, when the price was a mere 21p.

While I have a bee in my bonnet about the price of stamps, I will compare the price of postage in 2010, when the Conservative Party won power, and the current price after 14 years of austerity, Brexit and so on:

First Class - 41p/1.25p
            Second Class - 32p/75p

Comment

I haven't listened to 'Feedback' on R4 for some time (since Roger Bolton days) but have there been any complaints on there about trailers?

Comment

That reminds me of birthday cards and a great aunt many years ago. She lived in Largs,(I was in East Anglia) and would not only post in good time but also with a first class stamp. They always arrived after my birthday, and one year took 2 weeks to get to me. Letters sent second class( we exchanged a fair few letters each year) from her invariably only took 3 days or so(if weekends etc didn't hold up) so I suggested she didn't bother with the extra cost for the card. After the 2 week episode I sent letter to some person at the top to complain about the unacceptable service, suggesting they consider upgrading their ox and cart delivery fleet for horse and cart to speed things up. I had an apology letter back, enclosing a book of 1st class stamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post

Possibly, but that would still cost 75p plus the writing paper and an envelope. It would have been more practical twenty years ago, when the price was a mere 21p.

While I have a bee in my bonnet about the price of stamps, I will compare the price of postage in 2010, when the Conservative Party won power, and the current price after 14 years of austerity, Brexit and so on:

First Class - 41p/1.25p
                  Second Class - 32p/75p
                  In my experience, letters sent by 'snail mail' often produce results - or at least acknowledgements - more often and more quickly. However, I've no idea whether these responses are from real people or AI-generated.

Comment

There’s more than a grain of truth in that - also applies presenter’s links. Sure sign of a radio station in financial duress is when they cut the music and up the chat.

Comment

That was the very point of my FoR3 cartoon strip (mentioned previously). I wonder if I can dig it out with the date (it featured Penny G on Morning on 3 and R Wright so quite a while ago).
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

That was the very point of my FoR3 cartoon strip (mentioned previously). I wonder if I can dig it out with the date (it featured Penny G on Morning on 3 and R Wright so quite a while ago).
                        So - let me get this right - the BBC is needling us in order to reduce needle time ...?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

So - let me get this right - the BBC is needling us in order to reduce needle time ...?
                          I won't bore the world with my feeble 'artistic'/electronic attempts at humour but Beeb Babble wasn't so much about trails as RW's new script for Morning on 3 being tested by Penny Gore, and filled with station idents, time checks, over to the news and weather (thank you Catriona), headlines again in 30 mins, two free tickets, ring our audience line, details of our competition, 7.22 is the time, forward slash Radio 3, e-mail us, Radio 3 awards for musical chairs, more news, click on playlists, and more...

The final picture has RW saying: "That's fine, Penny, A bit slower and we should be able to cut back on two or three tracks per hour."

This was June 2003 which was about the time I was beginning to find the 'breakfast show' more irritating than entertaining. By the time Breakfast began in 2007 I'd had enough.

Comment

In my experience, letters sent by 'snail mail' often produce results - or at least acknowledgements - more often and more quickly. However, I've no idea whether these responses are from real people or AI-generated.
                            One place that does receive complaints about general lowering of BBC standards is Radio Times, though how many manage to get passed for the Feedback pages is anyone's guess. I have transcribed the odd letter here - usually it has to be said while not about Radio 3 they offer a glimpse of how far and general the decline is recognised. And of course one needs to remember that Radio Times is no longer under the aegis of the BBC, but an independent weekly mag, and is therefore probably even less likely to be heeded by BBC execs.

Comment

Well, given the poor standard of human written letters I've received in recent years I'm not sure it matters! The response is too often a cut and paste of stock phrases, with little if any relevance to the content of my letter, and not checked before printing and posting so errors and poor grammar are all too evident. I've sometimes wondered what, if any, human involvement there has been.

Comment

So far on BBC Radio 3 Breakfast this morning EVERY LNK has included reference to an upcoming R3 broadcast - tonight's concert, Under Milk Wood tributes etc etc.

It leaves me with the distinct impression that now the music is being chosen in order to give the opportunity for a 'talking up' as it's called.

French Frank, your suspicion* has become reality!

* Can't find FF's relevant posting above

Comment

Working...
                                X