Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    French Frank, your suspicion* has become reality!
    Don't know where I said that, but my thought was that when a work is on the playlist there should be a better reason for having selected it than: 'Because it ties in nicely with tonight's concert &c'. I don't call that 'curation'.

Second thoughts, now I've written that. I suppose it fits in with the current sloppy, debased use of the term. The curation should be 'Because it fits well into our knowledgeable, intelligent morning selection from the vast pool of music available'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The inevitable result is that music is chosen for broadcast for other reasons than the quality of the music . This inevitably means inferior music.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Don't know where I said that, but my thought was that when a work is on the playlist there should be a better reason for having selected it than: 'Because it ties in nicely with tonight's concert &c'. I don't call that 'curation'.
        I recall your saying - upthread I would think - that you harboured the dark thought that the music was being chosen on that basis. It seems to me now incontrovertible that this is so.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Second thoughts, now I've written that. I suppose it fits in with the current sloppy, debased use of the term. The curation should be 'Because it fits well into our knowledgeable, intelligent morning selection from the vast pool of music available'.

'Curation', in its more familiar pre-debasement meaning involved hanging, no...?

BTW, I wrote 'BBC Radio 3 Breakfast​' in full because someone very lowly has the job of collecting named comments made on the internet or press and presenting them to the Controller (about whose girth and weight I know nothing )

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          BTW, I wrote 'BBC Radio 3 Breakfast​' in full because someone very lowly has the job of collecting named comments made on the internet or press and presenting them to the Controller (about whose girth and weight I know nothing )
          When we used Google Analytics we could see how many visits we were getting from machines in BH. It was lots! But after FoR3 gave up pestering them the visits petered out. That, or a diktat ordered people not to visit FoR3 at all. No longer a Phat Controller, I think.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            The inevitable result is that music is chosen for broadcast for other reasons than the quality of the music . This inevitably means inferior music.
            Not necessarily always inferior - in some cases what's really irritating is the frequency with which pieces that have always (arguably) been given their fair share of airtime are now being heard even more often as part of this dreadful 'cross-promotion' campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Not necessarily always inferior - in some cases what's really irritating is the frequency with which pieces that have always (arguably) been given their fair share of airtime are now being heard even more often as part of this dreadful 'cross-promotion' campaign.
              That was my thought, as it will depend, at least some of the time, on what the link is, so the piece could be from "proper" R3 content if it was to do with the evening concert for instance. The inferiority would then come from playing a filleted piece - situation normal n other words.

Comment

Comment

I don't know what proportion of total listening hours is accounted for by BBC Sounds, but I have noticed that it is now frequently mentioned first in trails listing the available ways of listening.

Comment

I don't know what proportion of total listening hours is accounted for by BBC Sounds, but I have noticed that it is now frequently mentioned first in trails listing the available ways of listening.
                    Don't know, but it's certainly aping CFM...

...bla, bla, bla and on your smart speaker

Comment

Sounds is a streaming service. People who listen on Sounds may be listening 'live' - it doesn't necessarily imply catch-up listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Don't know, but it's certainly aping CFM...

...bla, bla, bla and on your smart speaker

How long, I wonder, before the UK follows the examples of Norway and Switzerland and shuts down FM radio?

Comment

I shall be sorry if that happens. I have a good FM tuner in a 'mini' hi-fi system, and moving it to a new room in the first floor suddenly produced a splendid reception, better than DAB on some days . I also have an old Long Wave radio which I use for Woman's Hour and The Archers and that has a lovely clear sound free of 'atmospherics'.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            I shall be sorry if that happens. I have a good FM tuner in a 'mini' hi-fi system, and moving it to a new room in the first floor suddenly produced a splendid reception, better than DAB on some days . I also have an old Long Wave radio which I use for Woman's Hour and The Archers and that has a lovely clear sound free of 'atmospherics'.
                            There was quite an uproar in Norway when the national switch-off was announced and then implemented, but the powers-that-be stuck to their guns and most lost listeners returned. Local stations will continue to operate on FM until at least 2031 (well, that's what the government has promised).
                            I seriously think that the Daleks had the answer to most of the world's problems, including this one ....

"RESISTANCE IS USELESS'!'
                            Last edited by LMcD; 25-01-24, 15:20.

Comment

This paper from the noughties is interesting:

Comment

How long, I wonder, before the UK follows the examples of Norway and Switzerland and shuts down FM radio?
                                It's effectively already been shut down for me as the reception suddenly became so poor( to the point of being just noises not broadcast material with interference) it was impossible. As I've mentioned previously DAB is proving difficult (on occasion impossible), but for different reasons.
                                What always comes through loud(often too much so volume wise if I've had to turn it up to stand a chance of hearing the music) and clear is the trailers.

Comment

Working...
                                X