What birds (are you/have you been) watching? What birds have been watching you?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
    We do have a jet black rabbit regularly nibbling on our moss (too embarrassed to call it a lawn), but I'm not sure that counts ornithologically.
    We have some furry "birds" which have found out how to reach the bird feeders - even bypassing the squirrel barriers.

Comment

We are lucky enough to live near one of the tidal estuaries in the West Country, which during the winter months is a paradise for waders. So curlews, godwits, redshanks, dunlin and (usually a bit later on) avocets are a common sight. Plus all the usual ducks. There is often a birder (not a twitcher) in one of the hides. They are such knowledgeable people and are always willing to let you have a peer down their telescopes at something interesting. Mrs Ardcarp and I were thus treated to a rare sight a couple of weeks ago; a bittern in classic pose among the reeds, statuesque with its head pointing upwards. Usually associated with East Anglia, they have moved West. No booming yet though. That, apparently, happens in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        There is often a birder (not a twitcher) in one of the hides.
        I'm a birder, not a twitcher. There has recently been (possibly still is) an Orphean warbler in Pembrokeshire which was the object of a mass "twitch" - organised parking, timed visits etc. as it was in a private garden. All very well done, but I resisted the temptation - not least having seen Orphean warbler in its rightful place, around the Mediterranean, a few times. The names on the list on the link - note they're all blokes - are the top "year listers".

Birdwatching for me is a largely solitary activity, though I really enjoy - indeed it has been part of my job to do so - sharing with the likes of Mr and Mrs Ardcarp, and larger groups, both at home and abroad.

Comment

We are lucky enough to live near one of the tidal estuaries in the West Country, which during the winter months is a paradise for waders. So curlews, godwits, redshanks, dunlin and (usually a bit later on) avocets are a common sight. Plus all the usual ducks. There is often a birder (not a twitcher) in one of the hides. They are such knowledgeable people and are always willing to let you have a peer down their telescopes at something interesting. Mrs Ardcarp and I were thus treated to a rare sight a couple of weeks ago; a bittern in classic pose among the reeds, statuesque with its head pointing upwards. Usually associated with East Anglia, they have moved West. No booming yet though. That, apparently, happens in the spring.
          What a thrilling opportunity ardcarp!

Do let us know if/when you hear the "boom"

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            I'm a birder, not a twitcher. There has recently been (possibly still is) an Orphean warbler in Pembrokeshire which was the object of a mass "twitch" - organised parking, timed visits etc. as it was in a private garden. All very well done, but I resisted the temptation - not least having seen Orphean warbler in its rightful place, around the Mediterranean, a few times. The names on the list on the link - note they're all blokes - are the top "year listers".

Birdwatching for me is a largely solitary activity, though I really enjoy - indeed it has been part of my job to do so - sharing with the likes of Mr and Mrs Ardcarp, and larger groups, both at home and abroad.
            Two very good friends are retired bird watchers and they spend quite a lot of their time out & about in UK and all over the world, in search of the native species. They have hired local birding guides to show them good sites and have made several good friends this way as well as seeing some 'significant' birds..

I asked once how long their list was and I was told about 4,500. Duly impressed I said so, to be told that there were probably a further 4,000 -5,000 to go

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I asked once how long their list was and I was told about 4,500. Duly impressed I said so, to be told that there were probably a further 4,000 -5,000 to go
              Their estimate about spot on I'd say

Comment

I'm glad to say that Bitterns are still resident at the Leighton Moss RSPB reserve in North Lancs. We used to go there when the weather froze and you could watch them walking out on to the ice on their big yellow feet, in a vain search for food! But they usually found a break to fish in, and were hardy enough to survive until the thaw.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I'm glad to say that Bitterns are still resident at the Leighton Moss RSPB reserve in North Lancs.
                  I'm delighted to say that bitterns are doing really well, according to the new BTO Atlas (which I bought at the much cheaper pre-publication price ). At their low point in 1997 only 11 booming males were recorded in the UK and Ireland (the best indication of numbers of breeding pairs). In 2011 the number was 104. They have responded well to habitat restoration, especially in Suffolk, Norfolk, Somerset and North Kent. They require extensive wet reedbeds with areas of open water. In winter they're less fussy, range widely, and in winter 2009-10 there were 600 bitterns at nearly 400 sites. We have upto 4 on my local patch in winter, and others turn up elsewhere in Pembs

The Atlas is an amazing piece of work - huge - can't recommend it highly enough - Xmas present?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    The Atlas is an amazing piece of work - huge - can't recommend it highly enough - Xmas present?
                    Lottery win needed! Over 70 quid.

Parakeets are up and about today, but only 2 so far. Some of them have been trying hopefully to peck at a peanut feeder with an anti-squirrel cage around it. - really intended for small birds. I assume that won't be successful, though the feeder may get damaged to the point where eventually they can get at the food. Maybe there's a sort of intelligence test for parakeets.

Haven't seen many little birds lately.

Comment

My wife is the really keen one, with membership of RSPB, BTO & any other groups or organisations involved with our feathered friends. We live about 6 -7 miles north of Glasgow & near the Campsie hills with Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond & much that is good to look at beyond. After moving into our present house about 20 years ago we decided to make a list of all winged visitors ;

House Sparrow, Magpie, Blackbird, Thrush ( Mistle & Song ) Greenfinch, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wood Pigeon, Collared Doves, Sparrow Hawk ( both F & M ). Chaffinch, Rooks, Herring Gulls, Dunnock, Siskins, Grey Wagtail, Starlings, Robins, Redwing, Long Tailed Tit, Fieldfare, Crow, Bullfinch, Wren, Treecreeper, Pied Wagtail, Waxwing, Blackcap, Goldcrest, Willowwarbler, Heron, House Martins, Brambling, Reed Bunting, Goldfinch, Twites, Jackdaw, Kestrel, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Feral Pigeons, Mallard Ducks, Red Poll, Swifts, Snipe, Redwing.

There have been others, come & gone, unrecognised but always appreciated.

By the way anyone pestered by foxes - the answer, in our case was lions 'droppings' sold in a jar. Never seen a fox since applying to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Parakeets are up and about today, but only 2 so far. Some of them have been trying hopefully to peck at a peanut feeder with an anti-squirrel cage around it.
                        My trip to London for Parsifal (see Parsifal thread) included a walk on Hampstead Heath where the hegemony of parakeets knows no bounds - at one point a bunch of them were mobbing a carrion crow. On the Heath, however, you can make up for the lack of avian variety by spotting well known faces. I saw a distinguished novelist and Booker Prize winner coming out of the Farmers' Market with his purchases, a Newsnight reporter on his bicycle.....No sign of Gwyneth Paltrow though. As I headed for Kentish Town station this morning the Sunday Times art critic was bumbling along with his Sunday papers.....Another well known TV face was queueing to pick up her ticket at the ROH.....all very exciting if you live in Pembrokeshire

Comment

There used to be a massive flock of lapwings in the field next to my back garden but I have not seen any for many years. I wonder what happened to them.

Parakeets have not yet reached this corner of Kent. I expect it’s a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                            By the way anyone pestered by foxes - the answer, in our case was lions 'droppings' sold in a jar. Never seen a fox since applying to the ground.
                            We have foxes. Our road isn't miles long - perhaps 3/4 of a mile. Usually when driving down at night at least one fox crosses in front of the car - sometimes as many as 3! That's without having to drive at a snail's pace, either.

What I really want to know is 1. why would foxes avoid lion droppings, unless they smell very unpleasant, if they've never encountered a lion? and 2. do lion droppings smell worse than fox poo ?- in which case for those of us who don't keep chickens or rabbits we'd be swapping one unpleasant problem for another one!

Comment

Yesterday afternoon, around 1:30 pm. I was taken aback to see a Red Kite, harried by a Crow, flying over Millennium Way in the middle of Bracknell. I have seen Red Kites in number around Windsor often enough in the past few years but this is the first time I have seen one over Bracknell town center. I think someone should inform the Daily Mail. These trafficked Iberian immigrants are spreading like wild fire.

Comment

Some gloomy news about the fortunes of some UK populations of bird species here:

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ntryside-birds

Does anyone see yellowhammers nowadays? I used to see them when I was young but haven't seen any for ages.

Comment

Working...
                                X