What birds (are you/have you been) watching? What birds have been watching you?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
    Procrastination pays! We have a blackberry bush which has gone everywhere and, after picking masses, I thought I should cut it back before it strangles someone. Naturally I didn't, and this morning we were rewarded with two male and one female bullfinches eating the seed heads. Then to cap it, a wren appeared flitting in the jungle.
    There's a moral there somewhere arancie!

Great story ... and thanks for reminding me of dear Ludlow, a lovely town (as a visitor at one time).

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      Does anyone see yellowhammers nowadays? I used to see them when I was young but haven't seen any for ages.
      Well, there's a thing! I was actually scrolling down the page to add my comment, and that was to say that we had three yellowhammers come to the bird-table yesterday - so there is your answer.

We were not altogether surprised as yellowhammers are known to frequent the woodland around Loch Ness - about half-a-mile from our garden - but we have not seen any for a few years.

I'll bet they don't pitch up when we are doing the RSPB count later this month!
      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Yellowhammers - looking at the new BTO Atlas (forgive another plug) - there has been a 9% contraction in their winter range since the last Winter Atlas in 1981-4. Widespread withdrawal from the north (inc nessieland), the west (inc Wales and most of Ireland), parts of the midlands and the uplands. There has been a similar contraction in their breeding range. They
        are closely associated with cereal farming, and require a minimum amount of cereal in the landscape for a population to be maintained...
        There has been a tendency towards intensively managed grasslands (fewer weed seeds for them to eat), and (for example) a complete withdrawal of cereal farming from northern and western Ireland - hence no yellowhammers.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Yellowhammers - looking at the new BTO Atlas (forgive another plug) - there has been a 9% contraction in their winter range since the last Winter Atlas in 1981-4. Widespread withdrawal from the north (inc nessieland), the west (inc Wales and most of Ireland), parts of the midlands and the uplands. There has been a similar contraction in their breeding range. They

There has been a tendency towards intensively managed grasslands (fewer weed seeds for them to eat), and (for example) a complete withdrawal of cereal farming from northern and western Ireland - hence no yellowhammers.
          A genuine enquiry, not a smart-arse response ... would a well-stocked seed feeder in gardens close to their former territories provide adequate replacements for the missing cereals or are they cereal-specific, I wonder?

My seed-feeders have been tipped over once too often in these high winds and lie broken on the ground. The birds that are ground-feeders are thrilled to bits

Comment

Ams, a seed feeder is only ever going to be a top-up in winter - you're talking about birds eating a wide range of grain, seeds and wild fruits, plus they need a certain amount of insect and other invertebrate food esp. for their young. I've actually never seen a yellowhammer at a garden feeder, but that's probably because I've never lived in the right area.

As well as cereals, they also need hedgerows with a few taller trees as songposts in the breeding season - they really are quite fussy and habitat-specific, unlike their close cousin the reed bunting which seems to be more adaptable. Reed buntings (again not a garden bird) have adapted well to things like oil seed rape, and elephant grass biomass crops.

The Atlas shows a complete blank for yellowhammers around Greater London, Birmingham and the industrial cities of the midlands and north.

Comment

Ams, a seed feeder is only ever going to be a top-up in winter - you're talking about birds eating a wide range of grain, seeds and wild fruits, plus they need a certain amount of insect and other invertebrate food esp. for their young. I've actually never seen a yellowhammer at a garden feeder, but that's probably because I've never lived in the right area.

As well as cereals, they also need hedgerows with a few taller trees as songposts in the breeding season - they really are quite fussy and habitat-specific, unlike their close cousin the reed bunting which seems to be more adaptable. Reed buntings (again not a garden bird) have adapted well to things like oil seed rape, and elephant grass biomass crops.

The Atlas shows a complete blank for yellowhammers around Greater London, Birmingham and the industrial cities of the midlands and north.
              Thanks for the clarification RT - I was clutching at straws

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Thanks for the clarification RT - I was clutching at straws
                Perhaps what they need is a-little-bit-of-bread-and-NO-cheese?

Comment

Yes, Yellowhammers and poor old Corn Buntings not doing well - the latter used to be so numerous, they were barely remarked upon in the fields down the road, their jangling keyring calls now gone...

Mild and wet winter in the NW means a dull one for birds! No Blackcaps, no Bramblings since the aforementioned... Parakeets never came this time. Many more Carrion Crows down in the garden, mixing it with the usual Jays, Magpies and Jackdaws. Blackbirds strong as ever, 14 or more first to the dawn-lawn feed each day - they get in early before the Corvidae Corps arrive. Tits (Coal, Blue, Great, LT) and Finches (Gold, Green Chaff) numerous as ever. A pair of Nuthatches (less usual in Liverpool) took up residence here in 2011, still with us and raise 1 or 2 young each year. Great Spotted Woodies doing well as ever, two pairs I think.

Annoyances - the Grey Squirrels now get in through the TOP of the Sunflower dispensers, and the Jay (otherwise very welcome!) has also discovered the joys of Black Sunflower seeds and 2 full feeders are emptied every morning!
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-01-14, 20:55.

Comment

We've had a lot of birds which before the introduction of hanging bird feeders we hardly ever saw. On the other hand I've not seen a thrush, blackbird, starling, crow, jackdaw or sparrow in our garden for a long while.

Perhaps this article gives a clue why - http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpin...eding/how.aspx - seems that I've not been putting out any food which ground feeding birds might want or in locations which they would prefer.

I didn't know the thing about turkey fat being a bad idea for birds.

Most of the birds we see seem to like peanuts, but there's been a massive uptake of the black seeds in the last few days. Greedy things!

Comment

Every year I do the RSPB bird watch - I assume others here also take part but for those who don't it's weekend after next 25-26th January. This is the link to register and which explains it:
                      A huge thank you to everyone who took part in Big Garden Birdwatch 2024. Over 600,000 of you took part across the UK, but what did we find out?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Every year I do the RSPB bird watch - I assume others here also take part but for those who don't it's weekend after next 25-26th January. This is the link to register and which explains it:
                        https://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/
                        I do it each year even tho my small garden yioelds small numbers and a very limited number of different birds. If I remember in time, I try to boost the result by getting the birds used to extra treats being put out in the days prior to The Event

Comment

And there's always the chance that The Sparrowhawk will make a pass through the garden to grap a plump young blue tit during the hour

Comment

And there's always the chance that The Sparrowhawk will make a pass through the garden to grap a plump young blue tit during the hour
                            How do I register 'the blue tit entered the garden of its own accord but left inside a sparrowhawk'?

Or does RSPB not interest itself in gruesome details of Nature red in beak and claw?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              How do I register 'the blue tit entered the garden of its own accord but left inside a sparrowhawk'?

Or does RSPB not interest itself in gruesome details of Nature red in beak and claw?
                              Sparrowhawk appeared at the right time but 24 hours early - well you can't expect a bird to get it absolutely right. Left gripping a great tit by one wing. Garden fell silent for a few minutes

Comment

Sparrowhawk appeared at the right time but 24 hours early - well you can't expect a bird to get it absolutely right. Left gripping a great tit by one wing. Garden fell silent for a few minutes
                                Not far away, the sight of intermittent clouds of plucked feathers revealed where Sparrowhawk was enjoying her elevenses

Comment

Working...
                                X