What birds (are you/have you been) watching? What birds have been watching you?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....pygamy cupwing....nice little looker!!!....I want one
    bong ching

Comment

[QUOTE=vinteuil;n1301667]

... I don't know your location, but that's a more impressive roll-call than we usually get here in Hammersmith!

Mind you, Merlin had something of a hiccup just now - it identified our usual roster of blackbirds, robin, parakeets &c - and then suddenly 'identified' a pygmy cupwing (Pnoepyga pusilla). Don't often see them in Shepherd's Bush...

Although Merlin hears them but I haven't seen a Greenfinch, Chaffinch or Thrush in our garden for several years, the once-common Bullfinch has made one appearance here (S. Suffolk) in the last 10 years.
      ​E]

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        .....pygamy cupwing....nice little looker!!!....I want one
        Essentially a tiny brown tennis ball supported by tiny chopsticks.
        in the wren babblers family. What's not to like as they say. Although I must confess the wren babblers bit puzzles me - is that like a horse whisperer?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

in the wren babblers family. What's not to like as they say. Although I must confess the wren babblers bit puzzles me - is that like a horse whisperer?
          bong ching

Comment

After some years - Two turtle doves

Make that - Two collared doves.
            Last edited by Padraig; 27-03-24, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              After some years - Two turtle doves

Make that - Two collared doves.
              Better than 2 wood pigeons though. I've noticed round here that collared doves have become conspicuous by their absence the past 2 or 3 years. I know they are not native but I think they are engaging birds, and certainly much to be preferred to their hefty destroyer cousins. They are much better co-diners at bird tables too, not least due to altogether daintier build and much less pushy attitude.
              My former workplace includes a farm which has been part of an initiative to encourage turtle doves for a good few years now, as they used to breed in the area.I did hear a pair calling about 8 years ago and understood just why the sound captures people's attention. Sadly there haven't even been any sightings, let alone breeding activity, for about 6 years.

Comment

Better than 2 wood pigeons though. I've noticed round here that collared doves have become conspicuous by their absence the past 2 or 3 years. I know they are not native but I think they are engaging birds, and certainly much to be preferred to their hefty destroyer cousins. They are much better co-diners at bird tables too, not least due to altogether daintier build and much less pushy attitude.
                My former workplace includes a farm which has been part of an initiative to encourage turtle doves for a good few years now, as they used to breed in the area.I did hear a pair calling about 8 years ago and understood just why the sound captures people's attention. Sadly there haven't even been any sightings, let alone breeding activity, for about 6 years.
                Believe it or not, my father, in his later years, bought a pellet gun in order to shoot at the woodpigeons in the back garden. Mum would tell him "You won't get much of a meal out of one of those"! As far as I know he never used it. I think our Persian ginger tom cat had more success there on the meal front.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Believe it or not, my father, in his later years, bought a pellet gun in order to shoot at the woodpigeons in the back garden. Mum would tell him "You won't get much of a meal out of one of those"! As far as I know he never used it. I think our Persian ginger tom cat had more success there on the meal front.
                  Proper wood pigeons(ie not feral town pigeons) are substantial birds and two breasts make a good serving for one person, or a single breast for a starter.

Comment

Proper wood pigeons(ie not feral town pigeons) are substantial birds
                    I call them street peckers; certainly not to be confused with wood pigeons. There are plenty of wood pigeons around here, and there is a regular pair in the garden. We also have a regular sparrow hawk which frequently deals with street peckers which are a convenient size, and divert attention from the smaller favoured birds. Not always though. 'Red in tooth and claw.'

Comment

As kids growing up in the country, we were encouraged to destroy the nests of 'cushie-doos' - the local farmers didn't like them scarfing down their grain (but it did make for well-fed and well-flavoured birds). Only female sparrowhawks are large enough to prey on them and, even then, the weight of the bird in its claws is sometimes too much with the hawk being unable to take off. Not a pleasant sight to encounter outside one's front door but I'd rather it had been a wood pigeon than a blackbird.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Believe it or not, my father, in his later years, bought a pellet gun in order to shoot at the woodpigeons in the back garden. Mum would tell him "You won't get much of a meal out of one of those"!
                        ... when he was a boy my brother managed to down a wood pigeon with a catapult : he brought it in, and my mother was duly grateful (but had to go in to town to the (expensive) butcher to get two more wood pigeons to make a supper for the five of us).

Comment

A couple of years back, I read 'Peregrine' by JA Baker. I believe he wrote the diaries over a number of years, following the peregrine in the south east of England in the fifties - it's a fascinating diary following Baker's obsessive hunt for this ace predator. I think I read that Werner Herzog called it one of the best books ever. On Saturday morning I heard David Attenborough read a five-part abridged version of the book on Radio 4 Extra. It was wonderful to revisit this extraordinary book.

Comment

Toucans! The jungle surrounding the Mayan ruins at Palenque in Mexico is a home to them. Handsome birds with their extravagant bills, but they disappointingly croak, similar to crows. No sign of Guinness in any of the nearby watering holes. And in Durango, Condor’s, soaring on the thermals. We travelled to Mexico to witness the total eclipse, and were lucky to witness it perfect viewing conditions. The oft quoted effect on silencing birds at totality was evident. It is one of nature’s most remarkable and impressive spectacles. I fear I have joined the nerdy band of eclipse chasers.

Comment

... house martins (many), over the Serpentine this morning. Always a life-enhancing sign of hope when they arrive. All we need now is the swifts!

Comment

Apparently the tautologous Golden Oriole has been spotted in the west. I can foresee a sojourn in Cornwall is required.

Comment

Working...
                                X