Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for ferneyhoughgeliebte (and me). A specially priced download from eClassical:

Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov (1869 version, live)

Warning. They currently have the wrong inlay card pdf, (BIS - 2402 Kaija Saariaho), not Mussorgsky's Boris (BIS 2320). I have emailed them re. the error.
    Last edited by Bryn; 31-08-19, 21:01. Reason: Update.

Comment

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        . . . Warning. They currently have the wrong inlay card pdf, (BIS - 2402 Kaija Saariaho), not Mussorgsky's Boris (BIS 2320). I have emailed them re. the error.
        Swift response from George Olvik of BIS. The insert pdf has now been replaced with the correct one.

Comment

Hans Rosling's book on Factfulness is a 99p Kindle deal today.

Worth reading I'd say, though I'd query the author's views on nuclear safety. Previously unknown (to me) data re the 1986 Chernobyl disaster suggests that over 400,000 died as a result. I don't know how this has been established, but I heard this from an authoritative Ukrainian source.

FWIW I scored 5/12 on the simple quiz in the early pages, which puts me slightly better than the chimpanzees.

Comment

... re Chernobyl deaths : I found Tim Harford's 'More or Less' programme on the subject interesting -

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... re Chernobyl deaths : I found Tim Harford's 'More or Less' programme on the subject interesting -

Thanks for that. I wonder where the Ukrainian scientist got his figures from. The programme mentions flawed Russian research, and attributing deaths to Chernobyl rather than other causes.

Comment

Naomi Klein’s book “This changes everything:capitalism vs the climate” is a 99p Kindle offering today. The book seems to be a readable narrative about climate change.

Comment

Chasing up Daniel Finn's newish "One Man's Terrorist" and not liking the price on Amazon, I searched the Internet and found that Verso currently have a 50% discount offer on their entire catalogue, with free p&p on orders of over £10:

Comment

Various places such as Tesco and Currys are selling Echo Dots for £22. I bought one on Saturday but beware - they are all American. It's not just the accent; I cannot get it to play any British radio stations (it always offers me an American one) and if I ask about the weather it finds a town in the USA.

I have an old Alexa and that will play Radio 3 but it did warn me that I might hear "mature" content that will offend me! (That is actually possible. I was listening to You and Yours on Radio 4 a few weeks ago and because of some technical hitch another station interrupted with some very choice language.)

Edited - I now realize I can go into settings on the app and change it to British. Took some delving though.
                    Last edited by Guest; 27-11-19, 13:06.

Comment

Medici TV gift cards are down to 60% today - so under £40 for a year’s subscription. **** - I arranged one at 55% so slightly under £45 a while back IIRC.

I’m not entirely satisfied with Medici, but there are some good things, so if anyone wants to try, today’s offer might be the cheapest it gets for some while.

Comment

An incredible bargain:

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven : The Complete 32 Piano Sonatas on Period Instruments (In addition, the three Bonn - Kurfürsten - Sonatas) by Ludwig van Beethoven in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

It surely has to be a pricing error. I bought the CDs a good many years ago from Blackwells but have now also purchased this download version to save having to rip the ten discs and convert to FLACs for transfer to USB stick, etc.

Note that the set includes the three early Woo 47 sonatas in addition to the 32 with opus numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          An incredible bargain:

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven : The Complete 32 Piano Sonatas on Period Instruments (In addition, the three Bonn - Kurfürsten - Sonatas) by Ludwig van Beethoven in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

It surely has to be a pricing error. I bought the CDs a good many years ago from Blackwells but have now also purchased this download version to save having to rip the ten discs and convert to FLACs for transfer to USB stick, etc.

Note that the set includes the three early Woo 47 sonatas in addition to the 32 with opus numbers.
                          Hmmm.. my account has it at £4.49........

Thanks, great spot Bryn.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Hmmm.. my account has it at £4.49........

Thanks, great spot Bryn.
                            Strange. I paid but £3.99, less than 30 minutes ago.

Comment

DOWNLOADS
                              The eclassical site currently has 50% off Naxos 24 Bit recordings. If you follow the links there is quite a long list, so perhaps it is all of their 24 bit recordings.
                              https://www.eclassical.com/
                              (As a determined CD quality downloader, I'm not sure it offers any saving to me)

Comment

Bryn,

Many thanks for the Beethoven sonatas tip. Downloaded and already very much enjoying them.

Teamsaint,

When I went in, the nearly identical cds were being offered at both the lower price Bryn paid and the higher price you mention. The only difference I could see was the higher priced one was called the De Luxe version and included the digital booklet. I plumped for this.

The booklet has a group photo of the players, a few photos of instruments etc, details of the instruments and their players, a thematic index with details of composition dates etc, an essay by Malcolm Bilson, and a short note on each sonata. And all in English, French and German. Well worth the extra I think but take your pick.

Steerpike

Comment

Working...
                                X