No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    391 Gurney & Butterworth ?
    Well, halfway there. Gurney's on the left.

Comment

oh sorry I thought I recognised the gentleman on the right as the boy in the topper at Eton from previously

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Well, halfway there. Gurney's on the left.
        Is the other one Howells?

Comment

oh sorry I thought I recognised the gentleman on the right as the boy in the topper at Eton from previously
          The chap on the right is a composer, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
            that looks a very good call

Comment

that looks a very good call

Two Gloucester lads.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                Myaskovsky, I think.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I knew I'd seen the picture before - it's in the recent John Ogden biography. The other two are John Dow and Audrey Baker (Goehr's first wife). Not names I know! But Howarth looks more like the chap in the front than the one at the back (I think so, anyway!)
                  Thanks Ros.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                    Yes, I know this. The internet is wonderful; I had to wait many years to visit Cecil Sharp House (the EFDSS) to see the old Kinora films. Now you can download them on YouTube.

Here's the story. The Kinora process used 'flip cards' - you turned a handle and hundreds of cards flipped before your eyes, mimicking movement. The video I've linked to is actually 5 (I think) films made this way in 1912. Three of them feature GB. Also there are Maud and Helen Karpeles and Cecil Sharp. In the first GB film (the one you posted) he keeps going out of shot - not used to a camera (a static one as well). In the one with four dancers, GB and Cecil Sharp bump into each other, which is a lovely moment with much laughter. And in the last (incomplete) film, GB gets really athletic.

I posted this on YouTube (the only thing I've ever attempted). The music is completely inauthentic, of course, since there was no way to synchronise sound in 1912. However, they're all old recordings of nice music. The music that accompanied Lumps of Plum Pudding is actually The Queen's Jig, arranged and conducted by Imogen Holst in 1933. Even so, you'll notice that one or two commentators were very critical that the music was 'wrong' and unsynchronised! Protect me from the world of folk dancers. I have Asperger's, too, but...

Incidentally, one of the Karpeles sisters was really smitten with GB, but he didn't respond. He might have been gay, I suppose, but we have absolutely no record of a romantic interest, male or female. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5qxjWutrs
                    Fascinating,thanks Pabs

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Myaskovsky, I think.
                      Spot on ts,
                      This is NM some 40 odd years later

Comment

John Dow was a cellist in the Halle Orchestra during Barbirolli's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Warlock View Post
                          John Dow was a cellist in the Halle Orchestra during Barbirolli's time.
                          If he went straight from RMCM, then his time there would have overlapped with Arthur Butterworth's (1955 - '61).
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

He was certainly there at the same time as Arthur Butterworth. I think he might have been there during all of Arthur Butterworth's time.

Comment

photographs of 19th century-born Russian composers, in their youth, often seem to show them in uniform, I was just wondering if some sort of compulsory military service was part of every male Russian's education. In a link in a previous post there's a photo captioned "Stravinsky riding a horse" which is also of a person in uniform, though I wouldn't actually swear it was Stravinsky.

page 3 of 34
                              Pictures of composers doing normal shit. All photos © their original photographers. Follow on...
                              Last edited by mercia; 01-02-16, 06:50.

Comment

They were both composers, but 'im on the right also won an Olympic silver medal.

Comment

Working...
                                X