Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos of Composers/other Musicians!

Thought that a thread for favourite pics of conductors, instrumentalists etc might be fun.

It was suggested by seeing this one of Jascha "Horrors" Horenstein, which strikes fear into my heart as a sometime orchestral player of outstanding mediocrity....

Do that look and gesture stir any memories, Hornspieler - since you actually did risk that look when you played under his direction?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Looks like a village green umpire who's just given you out lbw (wrongly). Touch him for a drink after the game...

Comment

I can't do photos on thisbut I remember a lovely photo of Malcolm Sargent at the London Zoo with the BBCSO.

He was a FRZS and took his band for a day out and lunch there every year.

The expressions on the faces of some of my friends, Apprehension, anticipation etc were wonderful as MS stood with a large dangerous snake well wrapped round his neck.

He really did love animals but ... photo sadly lost now.

Comment

This is him with a New Guinea Singing Dog at London Zoo, 17th March 1965!
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I've always liked this one
          Like a child in a sweetshop

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post

This is him with a New Guinea Singing Dog at London Zoo, 17th March 1965!

Clever stuff,Flay,haven'tseen that one.

MS often walked round his flat [apparently] with his pet budgie on his shoulder. Hughie by name

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I've always liked this one
              Like a child in a sweetshop

When I was a teenager I used to spend hours in my bedroom playing with a transistor radio, a cassette recorder, all manner of connections and a microphone, mucking about with feedback, development a sort of feedback theremin

Comment

.... always treasured this image of hero Eric Dolphy

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Francis Albert Sinatra was a big fan of mine, as is sometimes mispoken. Anyway, I have some very decent books on the shelf covering his career. Definitely not Kitty Kelley stuff.

These are two contact sheets which I enjoy because they give a good behind-the-scenes glimpse of a most serious and determined musician at work.

The first is from 1943 at the Lewisohn Stadium, New York with the New York Philharmonic and Max Steiner on the podium when Sinatra was just coming to the fore as the hearthrob of the bobbysoxers.

The second is over twenty years later. Sinatra at 50 in 1965 taking the band through a rehearsal at the Sands Hotel, Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                    Francis Albert Sinatra was a big fan of mine, as is sometimes mispoken. Anyway, I have some very decent books on the shelf covering his career. Definitely not Kitty Kelley stuff.

These are two contact sheets which I enjoy because they give a good behind-the-scenes glimpse of a most serious and determined musician at work.

The first is from 1943 at the Lewisohn Stadium, New York with the New York Philharmonic and Max Steiner on the podium when Sinatra was just coming to the fore as the hearthrob of the bobbysoxers.

The second is over twenty years later. Sinatra at 50 in 1965 taking the band through a rehearsal at the Sands Hotel, Las Vegas.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OJkxFTlppTY/Uk
                    rq4TuDMAI/AAAAAAAAhQ0/kg8CknSXdUY/s1024/Sinatra_0001.jpg[/img]
                    Thanks shb, still have all my Sinatra 78s and LPs.

Must give them a spin, a fine musician IMHO.

Comment

This picture of my guitar hero ooooozes.......something.......dunno can't put it into words.
                      I can hear his take on the Stars and Stripes just by looking at it.
                      Too old to have the poster on my wall now,must take it down. soon.

Comment

Be good if we had pictures of musicians taken by boarders. I have some taken at last year's Proms and am particularly proud of one taken of Daniel Barenboim and another of Bernard Haitink. Will see if I can fathom out how to put them on here.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

All you have to do Petrushka is have them in a digital form, ie. a .jpg file or such uploaded to an existing site and the image URL. That's the virtual address for the picture. Then, just insert that between the html coding for linking to a picture ie.

[img]urladdressforilllustration.com[/img]

Comment

The best acoustic in Amsterdam's Concertgebouw!

Here is a picture of the late Denis Wise, practising in the gents toilet whilst awaiting the arrival of half the orchestra's instruments, delayed on route from Heathrow Airport.

(What's that funny tinkling noise?)

Comment

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                              [B]

(What's that funny tinkling noise?)
                              Chamber music

Comment

Working...
                              X