Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Fabulous Musician with a great following!

I photographed this woodcut of the Pied Piper of Hamlyn in the town's Rathaus (Town Hall) when we were on tour in 1965 with Silvestri in West Germany.

A nice portrayal, I think, of that well-known fable.

HS
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 07-10-13, 07:43.

Comment

I love this photo of Malcolm Arnold with Deep Purple (think I've seen it on this forum before).

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        I love this photo of Malcolm Arnold with Deep Purple (think I've seen it on this forum before).

Nope. I 've looked and looked, but I just can't decide. Which one is Arnold?

Nice piccie anyway !!

(and what is Joey Ramone doing in the photo of Purple?)
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Nope. I 've looked and looked, but I just can't decide. Which one is Arnold?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

This seems a good place to post 3 of the photos I took of Leonard Bernstein, when he was doing a signing session at the old Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus (around the time of those Barbican performances of 'Candide', which I went to). Happily I had my camera with me, and stood just behind the 'official photographer', no one seemed to mind.

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 06-10-13, 22:13.

Comment

Lovely Photos Cals.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Yep great photos Cal,that's what I call a 'lived in' face.

Comment

My musical adviser. Sometimes, I see a few tears running down his cheeks, but he appreciates his headphones.

Good morning all,

HS

Comment

He looks rather grumpy HS,

Perhaps he knows your views on the 'Ode to Joy'

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      This seems a good place to post 3 of the photos I took of Leonard Bernstein, when he was doing a signing session at the old Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus (around the time of those Barbican performances of 'Candide', which I went to). Happily I had my camera with me, and stood just behind the 'official photographer', no one seemed to mind.

Great pix Cali

Lennie's clearly not devoted to his moisturiser - poor man looks bored witless

Comment

I never tire of flicking through Jerrold Northrop Moore's RVW,a life in photographs.
                        Love this one of RVW and Gerlad Finzi.

Comment

Here is a photograph of Silvestri which I took in the cloisters of Winchester Cathedral. I remember helping him on with his coat. He had bought it in Russia, it was lined with bearskin and it was so heavy that I could bearly lift it.

No wonder he had a pronounced stoop!

... and here he is in action inside the cathedral a few minutes later:

Last edited by Hornspieler; 09-10-13, 12:06.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Great pix Cali

Lennie's clearly not devoted to his moisturiser - poor man looks bored witless

Actually he was rather moist and flushed - look at the sweat on his shirt.... That photo was around 13 December 1989 (a week or so later he conducted that Berlin "Freiheit" Beethoven 9 to celebrate the wall coming down). A lot of people had flu - I think LB referred to it in his speech before or after the 'Candide' performance, iirc. I fear that the perspiration was the start of the illnesses / fever which I seem to recall dogged him during 1990 and of course he died in the October...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              That photo was around 13 December 1989 (a week or so later he conducted that Berlin "Freiheit" Beethoven 9 to celebrate the wall coming down).
                              A beautiful film of him conducting it here:
                              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Valerie Tryon and Friend
                                A photograph taken by Valerie's mother outside the Bournemouth Winter Gardens in 1969

If I were asked to select a soloist for a Saint Saens or Liszt piano concerto, I would choose Valerie Tryon every time; not just because we have been friends since our student days in the 1940s but because I know of no other British pianist who can inject so much charm, coupled with immaculate technique, into this type of music.

But her repertoire does not end there. Internationally known since she moved to Canada with her husband, her visits to this country have become less frequent over the past few years, but she has gained enormous popularity in Canada and in the United States.

I remember well the big smile of approval that she gave me when we played Rachmaninoff’s 2nd piano concerto (plus a knowing wink, which probably I alone saw.)

When I found this on the internet, even I was astounded at the range of her repertoire.

HS

Comment

Working...
                                X