No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    Valerie Tryon and Friend

If I were asked to select a soloist for a Saint Saens or Liszt piano concerto, I would choose Valerie Tryon every time; not just because we have been friends since our student days in the 1940s but because I know of no other British pianist who can inject so much charm, coupled with immaculate technique, into this type of music.

But her repertoire does not end there. Internationally known since she moved to Canada with her husband, her visits to this country have become less frequent over the past few years, but she has gained enormous popularity in Canada and in the United States.

I remember well the big smile of approval that she gave me when we played Rachmaninoff’s 2nd piano concerto (plus a knowing wink, which probably I alone saw.)

HS
    Thanks for this, hs. I hadn't realised that Valerie remained active. She visited Bournemouth regularly in the 60s and was a reliable guide to the regular classical piano concerto repertoire. Rather akin to Cristina Ortiz today , she was no Grande Dame of the keyboard, remaining apparently approachable and normal, as can be seen in your snap.

I see that you were dressed for the "Summer Season". The Clive Lythgoe of the horn section.

Of the three performance components seen in your picture, one has passed away - Bournemouth's much-lamented Winter Gardens - built as an Indoor Bowling Rink but with acoustics perfect for concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
      Thanks for this, hs. I hadn't realised that Valerie remained active. She visited Bournemouth regularly in the 60s and was a reliable guide to the regular classical piano concerto repertoire. Rather akin to Cristina Ortiz today , she was no Grande Dame of the keyboard, remaining apparently approachable and normal, as can be seen in your snap.

I see that you were dressed for the "Summer Season". The Clive Lythgoe of the horn section.Of the three performance components seen in your picture, one has passed away - Bournemouth's much-lamented Winter Gardens - built as an Indoor Bowling Rink but with acoustics perfect for concerts.
      Ooh you beast! You trollop!

As a matter of fact, a very novitiate horn player spotted my summer wear and said "Three cornets, please"

"Why do you want three cornets?" I replied."What's wrong with the one you're playing on?"

That silenced him!

As a matter of fact, I was not playing with the orchestra at that time, but I had popped down the road to see Valerie and invite her and her Mum up to my house for tea.

HS
      Last edited by Hornspieler; 20-10-13, 09:51.

Comment

i've got a feeling Valerie Tryon used to feature quite frequently on Through the Night a few years back. If she went to Canada, that would figure as they provided a number of recordings for the programme (along with the ubiquitous Mario Bernardi).
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Ooh you beast! You trollope!

As a matter of fact, a very novitiate horn player spotted my summer wear and said "Three cornets, please"

"Why do you want three cornets?" I replied."What's wrong with the one you're playing on?"

That silenced him!

As a matter of fact, I was not playing with the orchestra at that time, but I had popped down the road to see Valerie and invite her and her Mum up to my house for tea.

HS
          That was very funny for an instant reply, perhaps if I'm a trollope, you're A. Trollope, hs

Great story!

Comment

HS

We discussed Valerie Tryon recently on the Saint saens piano concertos thread .

Here she is interviewed this year on You Tube and looking considerably younger than her years ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjucdbxR_E

She has of course also returned to the recording studio . There is a lovely coupling of K491 and K503 on APR from 2009 that I have recently picked up second-hand . Such musical playing .

Also only a couple of months or so ago - this new recording was given a big thumbs up in IRR http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhapsodia-Si...s=turina+tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              HS

We discussed Valerie Tryon recently on the Saint saens piano concertos thread .

Here she is interviewed this year on You Tube and looking considerably younger than her years ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjucdbxR_E

She has of course also returned to the recording studio . There is a lovely coupling of K491 and K503 on APR from 2009 that I have recently picked up second-hand . Such musical playing .

Also only a couple of months or so ago - this new recording was given a big thumbs up in IRR http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhapsodia-Si...s=turina+tryon
              Thanks for those links Barbirollians.

I've already looked at the first one - very informative (and nice to hear my old friend Campoli playing with Valerie. They made a great partnership).

I thoroughly recommend the Chaminade "Automne" Such musical phrasing.
              British-Canadian pianist Valerie Tryon performs "Automne" by Cecile Chaminade from a CD entitled 'The Joy of Piano' produced by CBC Records and recorded Janu...

and also listen to the Schubert/Liszt "Ave Maria" Incredible musicianship and pianistic technique
              British pianist Valerie Tryon (now residing in Canada) performs the treacherously difficult 'Ave Maria' arrangement that Franz Liszt made of the lied by Fran...

I shall have a look at the second link now and will report later.

So I've just ordered this CD from Amazon. Includes the Falla Nights in the Gardens of Spain.
              Should be terrific.
              Last edited by Hornspieler; 15-10-13, 19:23.

Comment

One for prog rockers.

Bill Bruford,best ever drummer boy.

Comment

I'm more an Eddie man myself

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    I'm more an Eddie man myself

AMM

Comment

This is good as well

and this of Alvin looking like The Captain on the cover of Ice Cream for Crow

Comment

Thanks for those links Barbirollians.

I've already looked at the first one - very informative (and nice to hear my old friend Campoli playing with Valerie. They made a great partnership).

I thoroughly recommend the Chaminade "Automne" Such musical phrasing.
                        British-Canadian pianist Valerie Tryon performs "Automne" by Cecile Chaminade from a CD entitled 'The Joy of Piano' produced by CBC Records and recorded Janu...

and also listen to the Schubert/Liszt "Ave Maria" Incredible musicianship and pianistic technique
                        British pianist Valerie Tryon (now residing in Canada) performs the treacherously difficult 'Ave Maria' arrangement that Franz Liszt made of the lied by Fran...

I shall have a look at the second link now and will report later.

So I've just ordered this CD from Amazon. Includes the Falla Nights in the Gardens of Spain.
                        Should be terrific.
                        I look forward to your report on that CD especially as I do not have the Turina work . I do recommend this Mozart disc . http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Piano...s=valeri+tryon

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I look forward to your report on that CD especially as I do not have the Turina work . I do recommend this Mozart disc . http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Piano...s=valeri+tryon
                          Thanks for the heads up, BBR.

Turina Rapsodia Sinfonica: A shortish work(8½ minutes) I have never encountered anything by this composer and it is difficult to offer any opinion other than it is neatly played by both soloist and orchestra but it does nothing to excite me.

Franck Symphonic Variations: I developed a loathing for this work when I was still at the Royal Academy of Music.
                          Countless students turning up to try their hand(s) at it at 4 o'clock on a Friday afternoon.

Mawkish! Sickly!

But Valerie Tryon has changed my mind. For me, the outstanding performance on this CD.
                          In future, I will look upon Franck's output with new ears. (). Worth buying this CD for that performance alone.

Falla Nights in the Gardens of Spain: My most terrifying moment as a professional musician had nothing to do with playing the horn.

It was when I was asked to turn the pages for Iris Loveridge when she was playing this on a live broadcast from Maida Vale studios with the BBCSO.
                          As a non-pianist, finding where the tune was on a piano score was a nightmare and I was in a cold sweat by the end of it. Only counting off the bars diligently and acting upon Iris' nodding head saved me (and the performance) from total disaster.

On this CD, the notes were all there, the accompaniment was immaculate and there is little more to say.

There are three interesting encores on this CD. Two are from a recital at the National Gallery in Washington DC in 2003.
                          The third (and for me the best) is from St Georges Church in Bristol in February 2000. This is my old stamping ground and it was in Bristol that I last talked to Valerie before she returned to Canada. It is a stunning performance of the Bach D minor Toccata and Fugue, BWV 565.
                          Sheer pianistic fireworks.

I would recommend this CD for the Cesar Franck and the Bach Toccata alone, but as far as I, a non-pianist, can say, the rest of the playing is immaculate.

HS
                          Last edited by Hornspieler; 20-10-13, 15:03.

Comment

Thanks for the report HS . Interestingly, the reviewer in IRR stated that some might find these pieces a bit underplayed but he liked them for that very quality .

I have to admit to liking my Nights in the Garden of Spain played for all they are worth - as by Argerich and de Larrocha.

Comment

I love this.
                              Serenade to Music,Henry Wood,more great singers than you can shake a stick at and our hero sat on the steps at the front.

Comment

Does anyone have list of the singers.

I used to know one or two [friends of a friend] but have forgotten all the names now.

Oh was Robert Easton one?

Comment

Working...
                                X