No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Does anyone have list of the singers.

I used to know one or two [friends of a friend] but have forgotten all the names now.

Oh was Robert Easton one?
    Yes.

Sopranos: Isobel Baillie, Lilian Stiles-Allen, Elsie Suddaby, Eva Turner
    Contraltos: Muriel Brunskill, Astra Desmond, Mary Jarred, Margaret Balfour
    Tenors: Heddle Nash, Frank Titterton, Walter Widdop, Parry Jones
    Baritones: Harold Williams, Roy Henderson
    Basses: Robert Easton, Norman Allin

Which of them did you know Saly ?

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Yes.

Sopranos: Isobel Baillie, Lilian Stiles-Allen, Elsie Suddaby, Eva Turner
      Contraltos: Muriel Brunskill, Astra Desmond, Mary Jarred, Margaret Balfour
      Tenors: Heddle Nash, Frank Titterton, Walter Widdop, Parry Jones
      Baritones: Harold Williams, Roy Henderson
      Basses: Robert Easton, Norman Allin

Which of them did you know Saly ?
      Not really know but spoke to Heddle Nash at rehearsal and Robert Easton was a friend of a friend, Both had wonderful voices.

Thanks for the list - I looked in my Henry Wood books but nothing.

Comment

I have fond memories of Paul Tortelier, eyes flashing, in the famous BBC master classes

Comment

Yes very fond of Paul Tortelier. I first saw him at the RAH playing the Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations. Loved his TV master classes, then later we [Augener] published his edition of the Bach Cello Suites. He kept changing his mind about bowing, etc and in the end by the time they were published Augener had gone and they came out as Stainer & Bell.

He was criticized for throwing the cello at the bow and not the reverse but what a man for getting his own way in performance. Never a dull moment. Bless.

Comment

Simon Rattle, aged 21, JUST!

I remember encountering Simon Rattle aged about 20 in Bournemouth Music Library. Here's a contemporary description and photo:

Last edited by edashtav; 20-11-13, 11:25. Reason: inaccessible image

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
              I remember encountering Simon Rattle aged about 20 in Bournemouth Music Library. Here's a contemporary description and photo:

[img] https://plus.google.com/photos/10981...66151482720988 [/img]
              Just a hint of Henry Root in that post Ed. In a good way , of course. Here's a pound !!
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

[img] https://plus.google.com/photos/10981...66151482720988 [/img]
                Something wrong with the link there, Edashtav. I can't access it. Instead, I get a page asking me to sign in to Google.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Something wrong with the link there, Edashtav. I can't access it. Instead, I get a page asking me to sign in to Google.
                  I signed in OK but got a message saying "You do not have permission to view this album". Not one of those banned sites is it?

Comment

Same message re Rattle link. I had almost forgotten how precocious he was. We first saw him at the Proms in the 70s. We were standing fairly near the front and I can remember that my wife was almost as fascinated by his very tight black jeans as she was by the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      I signed in OK but got a message saying "You do not have permission to view this album". Not one of those banned sites is it?
                      My apologies, I tried to throw the rattle out of my pram but I did post it via my google account unaware that this would not allow universal access. I'll try another route in the morning.

Later edit :FIXED it. See post#50
                      Last edited by edashtav; 20-11-13, 19:08.

Comment

50 Rare/Unseen Photos of Composers in Everyday Life

Including Saint-Saƫns in his pyjamas, DSCH and Villa-Lobos playing snooker (not together), Prokofiev and Oistrakh playing chess (together) and Stravinsky in a rather complicated-looking pair of speedos...

Here is a rare photo collection of some famous composers showing some interesting aspects of their day-to-day activities.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Dvorak's family doesn't look very impressed, do they? (This place Suks?)

And John Corigliano really shouldn't've ordered the Salmon Mousse.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Brilliant,don't think Mahler was a party animal,looks really naffed off.

Comment

Looks to me like Villa Lobos is using the cigar to line up his cue.

Canny fellow..

Great post, Cals..

Would make for some great caption competitions.......
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I rather hope that Massenet is patting his dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X