Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Whose grave do we think Ernest Bloch and Roger Sessions are digging...?

A chip off the old Bloch to go with Britten's herrings, maybe.

Comment

I'm not sure whether I've posted this picture of Elgar before.
      It isn't a photo. It's a painting by my uncle, which he gave me over 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        It isn't a photo. It's a painting by my uncle, which he gave me over 50 years ago.

Beautiful - how lucky you are! I've been known to scribble tunes down on odd bits of paper before I forgot them, but never on the wall!

Comment

Wonder what the quote is ? Seems to be in G with an accidental a sharp and C sharp . Essentially a Gmajor chord ( or
          E min ) but why the natural in front of the B ? But tricky as I may have misread the slightly faded stave. It’s in 3/4 but what is it ? Not the Cello concerto…

Comment

I have Elgar's autograph, in pencil, on a piece of paper which I bought a good few years ago now. I then got hold of a photograph and had the whole thing mounted and framed where it now takes pride of place, well away from daylight and sunshine, on my wall.

If I knew how to post images on here I'd do it.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
              Wonder what the quote is ? Seems to be in G with an accidental a sharp and C sharp . Essentially a Gmajor chord ( or
              E min ) but why the natural in front of the B ?
              It's the opening of "The Sad Doll" from the Nursery Suite - 1st violin. The B natural is there in the score, possibly because a B flat occurs in the previous bar in the 2nd violin part. Unnecessary, but it might help avoid questions in rehearsal.

Comment

What a wonderful painting
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

It's the opening of "The Sad Doll" from the Nursery Suite - 1st violin. The B natural is there in the score, possibly because a B flat occurs in the previous bar in the 2nd violin part. Unnecessary, but it might help avoid questions in rehearsal.
                  Thanks v much. I’d never have got that . Just went through the scores of Violin, Cello concerti and Gerontius where I found virtually nothing in G Major or 3/4 ….

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I have Elgar's autograph, in pencil, on a piece of paper which I bought a good few years ago now. I then got hold of a photograph and had the whole thing mounted and framed where it now takes pride of place, well away from daylight and sunshine, on my wall.

If I knew how to post images on here I'd do it.
                    A few years ago Boosey's sold their Elgar archive at Sothebys and I managed to buy a postcard from EE to Jaeger confirming the return of corrected wind parts for the Enigma vars. I always imagine the Elgars housemaid hurrying down to the post box with it. This image was fixed when some years ago R3 broadcast a short and entrancing programme for any Elgarian featuring the delightful lady who was their housemaid - whose name I've forgotten - reminiscing about working for the Elgars - Alice's habit of calling out 'Edu' when looking for him sticks in the memory. Somewhere I've got the recording of the programme and the BBC will have it in the Archives.
                    (If I could I'd post the postcard image)

Comment

Amongst the late George Malcolm's papers we discovered a letter from Elgar to George's mother. She had sent the composer some of the seven year old son's compositions! Reprodued on my George Malcolm website:

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                        Amongst the late George Malcolm's papers we discovered a letter from Elgar to George's mother. She had sent the composer some of the seven year old son's compositions! Reprodued on my George Malcolm website:

https://www.georgemalcolm.xcellent-s....uk/elgar.html
                        Coincidentally, on R4 yesterday, Michael Berkeley was talking about Britten looking at and being gently encouraging about his boyhood compositions.

Comment

From Weeders’ Digest:

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                            From Weeders’ Digest:

That should be Stravinsky: The rake's progress.

(But maybe it's a hoe, in which case Copland's Hoe-down?)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Hoe hoe hoe!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Oh very good!
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X