Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing nature

This has to be one of the most amazing natural photographs, even more than the weasel riding on the woodpecker: a long-extinct plant captured in a piece of amber:

Biologists describe a new species of extinct plant, based on two fossil flowers that were trapped in chunks of amber for at least 15 million years.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

A great photo, f f, and the description reads like a good detective story - and even mentions Hitchcock!

Comment

So which phama giant will be the first to clone it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        So which phama giant will be the first to clone it?
        Let's hope none - since it's a source of strychnine but, yes, that does probably make it more likely
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

One thing that always puzzles me whenever I see photos or examples of what is depicted in french frank's OP: how come that flower managed to get fossilised before rotting away? We can't explain such a phenomenon by recourse to anaerobic conditions, because, were that the case, the plant wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Likewise with prehistoric footprints which survived until becoming rock strata.

Anyway, this could be a good thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            One thing that always puzzles me whenever I see photos or examples of what is depicted in french frank's OP: how come that flower managed to get fossilised before rotting away?
            Some comments here which explain a bit:

The amber being originally tree resin the various life forms, usually insects, get stuck in it and I suppose if fully covered in the resin don't rot.

Comment

I think the important point is that a fresh flower somehow became detached (strong wind, perhaps) and got stuck to the resin. Then it dried in the sun and gradually sank into the resin, which eventually hardened into amber. If the water content hadnt been dried away, I think it would have rotted despite being embedded.

Comment

A few days ago, Frau A and I visited Yorkshire Arboretum, near Castle Howard. I didn't realise that sweet chestnuts grew in the north of England.

Comment

Not sure if this is OT or not, but it was amazing.
                  Monday night we were out for a walk, and stopped for a sit on a bench which is at the top of a hill, and on a narrow country lane.

Anyway, a hare just walked along the road, about 3/4 yards in front of us and stopped. It waited long enough for me to fumble around and get a snap or two on my phone, and, entirely by luck ( because I hit the wrong button ! ) a very short video, including a it running off.

I'm happy to try to post a ( not very good !!)photo if anybody is interested.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 15-06-17, 20:03.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    A few days ago, Frau A and I visited Yorkshire Arboretum, near Castle Howard. I didn't realise that sweet chestnuts grew in the north of England.
                    See PM....

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Not sure if this is OT or not, but it was amazing.
                      Monday night we were out for a walk, and stopped for a sit on a bench which is at the top of a hill, and on a narrow country lane.

Anyway, a hare just walked along the road, about 3/4 yards in front of us and stopped. It waited long enough for me to fumble around and get a snap or two on my phone, and, entirely by luck ( because I hit the wrong button ! ) a very short video, including a it running off.

I'm happy to try to post a ( not very good !!)photo if anybody is interested.
                      Would love to see that!

I once saved a hare from a hunting dog while birdwatching in Spain - the hare came crashing through the undergrowth, dashed past me, the dog about 1 second behind it....I jumped forward, clapping loudly, startling the dog and throwing it off-balance - it stood there looking puzzled. The cazador arrived moments later, out of breath, looked at the dog, scratched his head - I was walking away nonchalantly by this stage as if I hadn't seen a thing

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        Would love to see that!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Here she/he is.

sadly the one still that I got isn't great, but is at least an action shot.

If anybody knows how to post a video ( is vimeo the way ?), I'll try to put up the very short clip I got.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Well, I learned a new skill, though refinement required !!

Comment

Terrific!

Magical creatures.

Comment

Working...
                              X