Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    You seem to live in a pleasant part of the world. I enjoyed your pictures.
    So do I. Many years ago I took a number of photographs of autumn colours in and around woodland off Childerditch Common in Essex at the beginning of November, which seems the best of time to wait for maximum tint varieties. Friends considered them good enough to have exhibited for a prize: I'm glad I've kept them.

As a kid one expected temperatures no higher than 15C after 10 October; in recent years those highs have extended much further into the autumn, partly as a consequence of global warming re-arranging the global weather circulation and, more recently still, causing many blockages as a result of Arctic warming weakening the vigour of the N Atlantic jet stream, so that the surface circulation arrives greatly warmed from sources much further south than formerly. In fact this is just a matter of "luck" - were the blocking highs to the west of us instead of lows we would be in considerably below average temperatures, as the Midwest are presently discovering in the States!

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      You seem to live in a pleasant part of the world. I enjoyed your pictures. Here in South Cheshire we've lost the breeze we had yesterday so today is like summer.
      Thank you, smittims. We feel very lucky to have all of that in walking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Thank you, smittims. We feel very lucky to have all of that in walking distance.
        I am extremely fortunate to be able to say likewise - only yesterday a group of newcomers to the district were reiterating a point I often make, that they couldn't believe they were only 6 miles away from Trafalgar Square. (A 40 minute cycle ride, even at my age, or 15-minute train journey).

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          We’re forever picking up sycamore keys before they try to germinate in any place they can in the garden.
          Nothing changes - same again this year - in fact seem to be even more methinks!

Comment

Lovely pictures those, JK. Thanks for posting them.
            Autumn is the best season visually, from a distance.

I am in London tomorrow, will try to remember to take a few photos there, for a change. Not a selfie on the millennium bridge, obvs….
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Lovely pictures those, JK. Thanks for posting them.
              Autumn is the best season visually, from a distance.

I am in London tomorrow, will try to remember to take a few photos there, for a change. Not a selfie on the millennium bridge, obvs….
              You're welcome.

Comment

On Spotlight Southwest this evening, the excellent weather man (David Braine) began by saying this unusual Autumn had 'confused' s couple of trees in his garden. A pear tree was having a second flowering, and a horse chestnut was doing likewise...with no conkers yet.

About 24 mins 12 seconds from start.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  On Spotlight Southwest this evening, the excellent weather man (David Braine) began by saying this unusual Autumn had 'confused' s couple of trees in his garden. A pear tree was having a second flowering, and a horse chestnut was doing likewise...with no conkers yet.

About 24 mins 12 seconds from start.
                  Yes indeed - I mentioned spotting a flowering horse chestnut on Wandsworth Commobn a few days ago on the Stormy Weather thread.

Comment

Reflets Dans L'Eau -- Thames at Cliveden last week...wish I'd had a proper camera with me...

Comment

Lovely, Maclintick.

Comment

So, as I noticed the other week, how the light falls on the water at this time of year is really nice. Doubtless I have captured this before but I wanted to again.

Comment

Lovely pics Joseph K. I wish I still had my camera, or even any camera. Back in the late 1990s, in the middle of a November I took numerous shots of an area of woodland with a lake in S Essex, just east of the M25 depicting woodland margins caught by low-angle sunshine, and all the contrasts of foliage colour and berries displayed by "autumnal biodiversity". People said I should have exhibited them or gone in for a prize. I managed to catch trees in full foliaged splendour singly picked out by the sun amid woodland shade. Just some suggestions, mind, if you have woodland to hand in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Lovely pics Joseph K. I wish I still had my camera, or even any camera. Back in the late 1990s, in the middle of a November I took numerous shots of an area of woodland with a lake in S Essex, just east of the M25 depicting woodland margins caught by low-angle sunshine, and all the contrasts of foliage colour and berries displayed by "autumnal biodiversity". People said I should have exhibited them or gone in for a prize. I managed to catch trees in full foliaged splendour singly picked out by the sun amid woodland shade. Just some suggestions, mind, if you have woodland to hand in your area!
                            Thanks! I do have some woodland in my area, round the park you see in the pictures. Might take some more.

Comment

Lovely pics joseph, my walking group reported lots of heating being turned on in last few days, autumn has certainly arrived.
                              Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                                Lovely pics joseph, my walking group reported lots of heating being turned on in last few days, autumn has certainly arrived.
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X