No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Lovely pictures......

Similar to my own country, though here I have ponds rather than rivers, drainage pipes and ditches off the crop fields, stables and horses, or in the more remote woodlands Redwings, Fieldfares, and birds of prey.... the Pinkfooted Geese skein across in large or small groups...
    I don't recall any of those birds in the Merseyside environs. Maybe falcons or hawks occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      That's a good photo, Nick.
      Cheers!

And jayne the augmented penny-farthing aspect hadn’t struck me! Shades (shadows) of Britten’s Serenade...

The shadows now so long do grow,
      That brambles like tall cedars show;
      Mole hills seem mountains, and the ant
      Appears a monstrous elephant.

A very little, little flock
      Shades thrice the ground that it would stock;
      Whilst the small stripling following them
      Appears a mighty Polypheme.

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I don't recall any of those birds in the Merseyside environs. Maybe falcons or hawks occasionally.
        The bird of prey population has changed noticeably over time: Buzzards are as easy to see, almost every day, as Sparrowhawks now, which usually outnumber Kestrels...and my first Red Kite (still rare in NW England despite their success elsewhere) for my own area the other day was marvellous - though quite far into the deeper woods and fields.

Winter Thrushes also seem more common too if the weather is very cold; flocks of 30 or 40 Redwings fairly often, those gorgeous Fieldfares less numerous but always around - their chacking call is very distinctive even at a distance. Again the more remote you are from the nearest dwellings, the more you'll see... although individuals will approach gardens if food is scarce. Fieldfares are very partial to apples.

Comment

Today I set off on a walk to the supermarket at 9:15.

Comment

What a glorious day, Joseph. Great set of pictures!
            Not quite so bright here now, but the frost has gone (though the lake is still well and truly frozen).

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Not quite so bright here now, but the frost has gone (though the lake is still well and truly frozen).
              Indeed yes - and, in the first shot, a great example of "advection", in which the slightly warmer air in the rising sunlight causes the frozen surface to "steam up", the potential beginnings of fog, as does ice cream on removal from the deep freeze. Or my spectacles when I enter the local supermarket!

Comment

I wondered what that was! Quite atmospheric, it was.

Comment

Bitterly cold wind today has allowed the overnight frost to remain but oddly enough not in the frost hollow where I expected it, perhaps tree cover helped.

Comment

Lovely photos, Jk.

Thanks for posting.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Lovely photos, Jk.

Thanks for posting.
                      You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Lovely photos, Jk.

Thanks for posting.

Indeed wonderful photos Jk

All snow gone from round here save remnants on some parked cars. My 40 minute cycle ride this afternoon was in dry, sunny conditions but a perishing cold easterly which has left me somewhat somnolent back in the warm after a hot shower. Not a bad feeling though, accompanied by a healthy glow. The Park was a treat - thanks to ‘Sounds’, Howells’s St Augustine Canticles in yesterday’s CE accompanied views like this

(Albert Hall dome silhouetted directly beneath the sun)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Our resident swans made a rather slitherly landing on the still mostly frozen lake as I wandered past earlier this afternoon. I do wonder where they had come back from: perhaps a quick trip to visit their cousins on the university lakes nearby?

Comment

Great pic, Nick!

Comment

Today is a bit more murky, but we've had snow (and still are a bit) and the lake is frozen.

Comment

Letter to Radio 3 this morning from someone in Norway saying they were just about to take the dogs for a walk in -16 degrees Celsius! On that note I'm going to chance a walk in our "t shirt" weather (their words not mine...)

Comment

Working...
                                X