Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer

So we never really had a Spring, but I missed some daffodil photos but oh well. I figured after Autumn and Winter threads, I should start this one, though not as visually vibrant as Autumn or as arresting as that frosty/foggy day of Winter, it is nonetheless nice. On a walk through Abbey Meadows.

Great photos.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Beautiful, JK....a pictorial Delian Summer.....but sadly without any audible Cuckoos here.....(yet)...

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Beautiful, JK....a pictorial Delian Summer.....but sadly without any audible Cuckoos here.....(yet)...
          Thanks Jayne (and thanks for the unfamiliar 'Delian').

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Thanks Jayne (and thanks for the unfamiliar 'Delian').
            It goes with "Holstian", Bartokian, Beethovenian, Elgarian, Tippettian and, er, Vaughan Williamsish. Which only proves one thing. Well nothing, really. It's rather like describing people with reference to their place of origin: Bristolian, Bathonian - maybe because Bathian wouldn't sound right? Er, Glaswegian... Mancunian... Glascorian would maybe sound too much like excorating, Manchesterian too much like magisterial ...........Redditchian ?

It's such fun being known as a Cockney....

Oh yes, lovely pics, Joseph K.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              This Summer is about as Delian as it's possible to get without actually being by Delius:

Frank Bridge (1879-1941) (GB)Summer, symphonic poem (1914)Dir : Richard Hickox On collectionCB we can also listen to Frank Bridge's « Dance Rhapsody » for or...

Comment

... of course, apart from his time in Florida, New York, and Leipzig, - most of Delius's life was spent in France (from 1902-1934). When we think of a 'Delian summer', we shd really be thinking of Grez-sur-Loing...

Comment

Google says it pertains to the Greek island Delos.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    Google says it pertains to the Greek island Delos.
                    ... nothing to do with Derbyshire, then?

Comment

I thought it referred to a well known Canaries-supporting TV cook.

Comment

Think Jayne might've also been alluding to this in her message...

Comment

Lovely photos, JK. Thanks for posting them.
                          I must get the camera out and tKe a few seasonal snaps.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            I thought it referred to a well known Canaries-supporting TV cook.
                            That's just a Delius myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              That's just a Delius myth.
                              Are you sure - I'm almost 100% certain that I read somewhere that she's married.

The more I look at JK's photos, the more impressed I am by their beautiful structure - it's quite clear that a considerable amount* of thought went into each of them.

(* I nearly wrote 'deal of', but even I thought that might have been unnecessarily close to punnery ).
                              Last edited by LMcD; 13-06-21, 07:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X