Wonderful photographs. Thank you.

Comment

Great photos!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

The more I look at JK's photos, the more impressed I am by their beautiful structure - it's quite clear that a considerable amount* of thought went into each of them.

(* I nearly wrote 'deal of', but even I thought that might have been unnecessarily close to punnery ).
        To get that kind of detail into shots like those, foreground, middle and long view, is remarkable. Every glade of brass...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          To get that kind of detail into shots like those, foreground, middle and long view, is remarkable. Every glade of brass...
          When we studied 'The Tin Drum' at uni - none of us read it in the original German, needless to say - it was very much a case of 'every blatt of grass'.

Comment

Some quite stunning copper light down the woods tonight.

[
            ]https://i.imgur.com/ehwC1QC.jpg[/img]
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Gorgeous, ts
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                Gorgeous, ts
                Indeed - his camera must've been on narcotics!

Comment

I don’t think I have ever seen light quite like that. The camera ( just my iphone one) does the colour justice. It was extraordinary.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Great pictures, teamsaint!

Comment

These might be similar to ones I took in Autumn, since it's round The Lake and up to Arrow Valley North again. But I felt like taking some since I had my phone with me and the weather is idyllic today, sunny with a breeze, just right. I feel very lucky having close access to it. Spot the picture where the stinging nettles are encroaching on the path!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        These might be similar to ones I took in Autumn, since it's round The Lake and up to Arrow Valley North again. . . I feel very lucky having close access to it. Spot the picture where the stinging nettles are encroaching on the path!
                        That would be No 5, Joseph. You are lucky to have such a lovely area to wander in. Intriguing paths leading to interesting places. No 9 is the one I come back to. Is it leading me straight home, or leading me astray?

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                          That would be No 5, Joseph. You are lucky to have such a lovely area to wander in. Intriguing paths leading to interesting places. No 9 is the one I come back to. Is it leading me straight home, or leading me astray?
                          Very perceptive, Padraig. You are totally right about no. 9 - since in fact it is the path that leads off from another path and does lead me astray, since it takes another twenty minutes to take me home, while the other path takes only ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                            Very perceptive, Padraig. You are totally right about no. 9 - since in fact it is the path that leads off from another path and does lead me astray, since it takes another twenty minutes to take me home, while the other path takes only ten.
                            People sometimes ask me, why do I take the same routes time and time again? Isn't that boring? Because no place is the same the next time, I tell them.

Nice example in No 7 of cumulus growing into stratoscumulus, which then spreads out to infill the gaps between the original cumulus, marking an inversion "cap" which is preventing any further upward convection, by the way.

Comment

Wally, as photographed by Mrs A in the Isles of Scilly last week. He's clearly enjoying a Summer Holiday, just a bit off course! Apparently, walruses are quite lazy creatures, spending a lot of time snoozzing on ice-floes. Not finding any, he tried to board boats and dinghies, inadvertently causing damage. So the local wildlife folk built him his own plastic 'ice-floe' and he seemed to know immediately what it was for. Wally is ENORMOUS, nothing like a seal or a dolphin. He's quite un-fazed by folk passing by to take a look.

Ooops. That was taken by someone else. (Got my wrist slapped.) This was Mrs A's. Maybe not so cute, but it gives some idea of the sheer bulk, and of Wally's personal 'ice-floe'.

Last edited by ardcarp; 03-08-21, 16:56.

Comment

The people who built that float did a good job calculating the amount of expected displacement for the number of floats to be needed for its construction!

Comment

Working...
                                X