Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course there are Brie Encounters (courtesy of Wallace and Gromit!).

We must listen to some Camembert Humperdinck this evening.

Comment

Vacherin Mont d'Or is in season now ... gorgeous, gooey when baked in the spruce box ... just spoon it out or serve with bread, crudités, potatoes like raclette. Not cheap ... I pair it with Aldi Aqua Vale sparkling water

Comment

We might listen to Gouda's Faust at some point!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Of course there are Brie Encounters (courtesy of Wallace and Gromit!).

We must listen to some Camembert Humperdinck this evening.
          I'd rather caraway some komijnekaas.

Comment

And later on, we'll watch Cheddar Garbler.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              And later on, we'll watch Cheddar Garbler.
              As she battles the bad Baron Bigod to retain her Gurney Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post
                Vacherin Mont d'Or is in season now ... gorgeous, gooey when baked in the spruce box ... just spoon it out or serve with bread, crudités, potatoes like raclette. Not cheap ... I pair it with Aldi Aqua Vale sparkling water
                Enfin! A sensible post (if you won't consider that an insult ). Cheese that's eaten with a spoon (not baked), that's a cheese.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by cria View Post
                  Luckily for you the EU seen have seen raisin:

*And please, no crudités on here...

...Règles de Maison et tout ça.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

When I was ten I was given this illustration book of a French children's story, which told of how the Bastille came to an end. A poor little boy sees a lonely current bun in a shop window. Being starving he sneaks into the shop and steals it. A copper in the street blows his whistle on seeing this, and chases after the boy, catching him. He is taken away and imprisoned in the Bastille. But he still has the bun, and, being still hungry, is about to bite into it when the bun speaks to him, for it is a magic bun. It tells the little boy that for his kindness in rescuing him, he can have one wish granted, anything he wants. He tells the bun that he wants to escape and (in my version) for all prisoners of conscience to be free. So the bun says "Abracadbra" or whatever that is in French, and the Bastille is instantly transformed into one huge Gruyère cheese, which all the prison's rats start eating up, while the prisoners are able to escape through the holes that Gruyère cheese is well-known for.

In my adaptation, all the travails of the French Revolution were thus neatly avoided, the guillotine was turned into ploughshares, there was no need for Karl Marx to write "Das Kapital", and they all lived happily ever after.
                    I remember reading an issue of philosophy now magazine that was focused on karl marx and reading he was heavily influenced by the french revolution, i did once start reading das kapital but put it down when i thought he talking nonsense, like the ragged trousered philanthropist, badly paid jobs are an advert, or signal one could say, that gives people an incentive to try get better paid jobs instead. As a business enterprise graduate i like free markets.

Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

We dont have the habit of cheese after dinner though in my bachelor days i remember buying the christmas cheese board selection specials in the january sales. My favourite is Roquefort.

Comment

Must admit I do like a bit of chutney with my cheese. Nice cheddar with some fig chutney or fig jam is one of my favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                          My favourite is Roquefort.
                          Good choice. Though it has to be said that a lot of the cheeses on sale in supermarkets are mass-produced, even if they come from France - much as there's artisan Cheddar and mass-produced 'cheddar' made by the process of 'cheddarisation' which means it can come from New Zealand or Canada rather than Cheddar.

And what's good enough for wine is good enough for cheese.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

When i lived in france i always noticed a much larger choice of cheese in the supermarket.

Comment

Dear God! Well, FF, worse than my worst imaginings.

Comment

Since early childhood I have adored Norwegian Gjetost, sometimes known as Brown Cheese in Norway. It is made from the whey of goats’ and cows’ milk. Delicious sliced thinly with a cheese slicer, I love it on toast at any time of day. It has a distinctive sweet, caramel-like flavour, unlike any other cheese. Funnily enough, Mrs K grew up in Norway and speaks Norsk but she cannot abide the taste of my beloved Gjetost.

Comment

Working...
                                X