• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cheese Board

Well, thanks to FF and S_A...

...here it is!

Pour a glass , and enjoy

Well, the Whisky and ?Pastries threads weren't quite as popular as the What was your most recent bottle of wine? - but here goes.

For me, the cheese course is an essential part of any main meal - a daily ritual. I tend to go for continental cheeses, especially French or Spanish, because those are quite readily available - though not in the variety I'd like.

As per my recent post, the Époisses has proved a great success. The other consideration is: what is a good accompaniment?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

....Oh this thread is just made for Serials sense of humour
      Last edited by eighthobstruction; 24-11-23, 18:53.
      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Well, the Whisky and ?Pastries threads weren't quite as popular as the What was your most recent bottle of wine? - but here goes.

For me, the cheese course is an essential part of any main meal - a daily ritual. I tend to go for continental cheeses, especially French or Spanish, because those are quite readily available - though not in the variety I'd like.

As per my recent post, the Époisses has proved a great success. The other consideration is: what is a good accompaniment?
        For Cheese a jolly good fellow!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

For Cheese a jolly good fellow!
          ....that's m'boy....
          bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            Q.E.D. !

Comment

Frankly my dear, I don't give Edam.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                When I was ten I was given this illustration book of a French children's story, which told of how the Bastille came to an end. A poor little boy sees a lonely current bun in a shop window. Being starving he sneaks into the shop and steals it. A copper in the street blows his whistle on seeing this, and chases after the boy, catching him. He is taken away and imprisoned in the Bastille. But he still has the bun, and, being still hungry, is about to bite into it when the bun speaks to him, for it is a magic bun. It tells the little boy that for his kindness in rescuing him, he can have one wish granted, anything he wants. He tells the bun that he wants to escape and (in my version) for all prisoners of conscience to be free. So the bun says "Abracadbra" or whatever that is in French, and the Bastille is instantly transformed into one huge Gruyère cheese, which all the prison's rats start eating up, while the prisoners are able to escape through the holes that Gruyère cheese is well-known for.

In my adaptation, all the travails of the French Revolution were thus neatly avoided, the guillotine was turned into ploughshares, there was no need for Karl Marx to write "Das Kapital", and they all lived happily ever after.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Frankly my dear, I don't give Edam.
                  Well you can Gruyère own then!

Comment

When I was ten I was given this illustration book of a French children's story, which told of how the Bastille came to an end. A poor little boy sees a lonely current bun in a shop window. Being starving he sneaks into the shop and steals it. A copper in the street blows his whistle on seeing this, and chases after the boy, catching him. He is taken away and imprisoned in the Bastille. But he still has the bun, and, being still hungry, is about to bite into it when the bun speaks to him, for it is a magic bun. It tells the little boy that for his kindness in rescuing him, he can have one wish granted, anything he wants. He tells the bun that he wants to escape and (in my version) for all prisoners of conscience to be free. So the bun says "Abracadbra" or whatever that is in French, and the Bastille is instantly transformed into one huge Gruyère cheese, which all the prison's rats start eating up, while the prisoners are able to escape through the holes that Gruyère cheese is well-known for.

In my adaptation, all the travails of the French Revolution were thus neatly avoided, the guillotine was turned into ploughshares, there was no need for Karl Marx to write "Das Kapital", and they all lived happily ever after.
                    I think all on the forum will be thinking - Ah yes that explains a lot....
                    bong ching

Comment

Well you can Gruyère own then!
                      Feta compli.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

....very good
                        bong ching

Comment

I daresay the 'discussion' will calm down eventually

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I daresay the 'discussion' will calm down eventually
                            Well of course, for "Blessed are the cheesemakers"

Comment

The poor little boy was called Tomme?

Comment

Working...
                              X