Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coop selection currently a bit mere - only Roquefort - so I wandered up to ocseT to see if they had their Chaource (about time I made Gratin champenois). At first I couldn't see it so loaded up with Langres, Époisses and Saint Félicien (such riches!), then spotted the Chaource so had that too. Not 100% sure about the Saint Félicien. Highland D? Will try it neat but may end up melting over potatoes

And a half of Yvon Mau Sauternes 2018 - whatever that is. No estate named but I take what I can get. It was that or a Brown Bros orange muscat for the Roquefort. Till lady took off the security tag, inspected the bottle and enquired, "Is it wine?" "Yes." "Never seen that before." Dunno, maybe Tesco customers have better taste!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Coop selection currently a bit mere - only Roquefort - so I wandered up to ocseT to see if they had their Chaource (about time I made Gratin champenois). At first I couldn't see it so loaded up with Langres, Époisses and Saint Félicien (such riches!), then spotted the Chaource so had that too. Not 100% sure about the Saint Félicien. Highland D? Will try it neat but may end up melting over potatoes

And a half of Yvon Mau Sauternes 2018 - whatever that is. No estate named but I take what I can get. It was that or a Brown Bros orange muscat for the Roquefort. Till lady took off the security tag, inspected the bottle and enquired, "Is it wine?" "Yes." "Never seen that before." Dunno, maybe Tesco customers have better taste!
      An unusual name certainly, but Tesco have sold it before it seems, and the company produces several other wines according to this
      Découvrez l'achat de vin facile, au meilleur prix et en direct producteur. 30 000 références de vins à prix propriété. Livraison gratuite possible. Le meilleur site de vente de vin en ligne est fait par et pour les vignerons !

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

An unusual name certainly, but Tesco have sold it before it seems, and the company produces several other wines according to this
        https://www.twil.fr/france/bordeaux/...792.html#67605
        Well, M Vinteuil or any of our French dwellers will put me right. Yvon Mau appears to be a négociant which seems to have more to do with the business of buying and selling wines than the making of wine.

But I am no slave to gastronomic or oenological self-indulgence and shall be more than content with my purchases even though they came from Tesco. I've kept out the Époisses to go with the Sauternes.

Oh dear. I've just discovered Époisses is banned in the US. Morituri te salutant
        Last edited by french frank; 11-04-24, 19:20.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I've kept out the Époisses to go with the Sauternes.
          ... hmm. Usually the association is sauternes with a salty blue cheese, platonically roquefort. Something about the combo of salt and blue with the sweetness of the sauternes.

Far from convinced that it wd marry well with an époisses : classic recommendations for that wd include burgundy : white (côte-de-beaune, côte​ chalonnaise, chablis) or red (irancy, côte​-de-nuits, gevrey-chambertin), possibly a gewurtztraminer.

But we each have our goût. Or ​ gout....

Last edited by vinteuil; 12-04-24, 15:10.

Comment

I had never previously contemplated sweet wine with Roquefort! Not even in a couple of years living in the Héxagone. I am intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
              I had never previously contemplated sweet wine with Roquefort! Not even in a couple of years living in the Héxagone. I am intrigued.
              It's standard practice....Chât. d'Yquem if you can afford it.

Comment

I have checked and no I can't

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                  I have checked and no I can't
                  No, nor me! but I have a couple of shelves in my racks of other 'pudding' wines that are affordable: I bought, if I remember 10 bottles (halves) of Chât. Roumieu which the Coop used to sell as bin ends at £4.50 each. Some were 2010 and the others 2009, both good years. For a real treat Climens or Filhot are reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... hmm. Usually the association is sauternes with a salty blue cheese, platonically roquefort. Something about the combo of salt and blue with the sweetness of the sauternes.

Indeed, Roquefort is the immediate French suggestion. But Époisses has a salty aspect according to some people's taste, and therefore:

If you’re looking for a pairing for a stinky cheese like Epoisses you might be better off to think about beers or spirits than wine. Here are some suggestions

Epoisses is a soft cow’s milk cheese produced in the village Époisses, France.  Commonly called as Epoisses, the cheese has creamy, chewy and firm texture. With a distinctive soft red-orange colour, it is categoried as a smear-ripened cheese washed in marc de Bourgogne. It takes at least 6 weeks to mature fully. Despit

Red Burgundy is often misguidedly matched with this famous French cheese. A better choice to match the strength of the cheese is this woody, spicy wine.

Far be it from me to make up my own mind! Sauternes was at hand. I have found it very palatable and also wondered what other accompaniment. Sweet seemed to be suggested so I had my hawthorn jelly with it. Suited my goût admirably. One helping of Époisses and one glug of Sauternes left, so that seems satisfactory.

Comment

........Sweet seemed to be suggested so I had my hawthorn jelly with it..
                      Stephen Markwick, in his eponymous Restaurant in Corn St. in your own fair city, served Sauternes jelly with his cheese board, which he made from 'left-overs' - we never left anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Stephen Markwick, in his eponymous Restaurant in Corn St. in your own fair city, served Sauternes jelly with his cheese board, which he made from 'left-overs' - we never left anything!
                        Markwick's was where the top brass at the Evening Post lunched their guests (and themselves) when I worked there. I never aspired that high.

Comment

Markwick's was where the top brass at the Evening Post lunched their guests (and themselves) when I worked there. I never aspired that high.
                          Well, CD shop owners, especially those selling just classical could only with a contribution from my wife, who had a 'good' job at the time. Don't know about 'top brass', but my friend (greatly missed) David Harrison ate there on occasion - but he did do restaurant reviews for The Post (and opera)... do you remember him? He was always in my shop, buying jazz mainly...and discussing Rioja endlessly!

Comment

but my friend (greatly missed) David Harrison ate there on occasion - but he did do restaurant reviews for The Post (and opera)... do you remember him?
                            I do remember him. But I had little to do with writers as I was a humble sub (I just butchered their stories).

Comment

David was the nicest person you could wish to meet, actually his favourite restaurant was the Blue Goose up Gloucester Rd, which we went to a few times. His review of the WNO Ring in The Post is a model of good writing - I keep his reviews, Paul Riley's too, attached to my programmes.....in the upstairs toilet.

Comment

David was the nicest person you could wish to meet, actually his favourite restaurant was the Blue Goose up Gloucester Rd, which we went to a few times. His review of the WNO Ring in The Post is a model of good writing - I keep his reviews, Paul Riley's too, attached to my programmes.....in the upstairs toilet.
                                Ah, the Blue Goose. One of my locals. Replaced by an establishment for designer stubble drinking Mexican beers from the bottle

Comment

Working...
                                X