What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... looks quite jolly, for swigging tap water. A bit Marie-Antoinette playing at being a peasant, perhaps?
    I bought them 40 or 50 years ago, when I would probably have been quite insulted to be thought a peasant (I don't mind now).

Roger - I read a lot about the quality of New World wines and I'm sure some are excellent - much better than cheaper Europen wines. But I drink European ones, usually French and sometimes Spanish and Italian, depending on what I'm eating. But if I'm in another country I'll happily drink their wine - Greek, Swiss, Portuguese, E European. I'm beginning to see more German ones now. I remember far back when they were well thought of, but their reputation subsequently suffered badly .
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Sainsburys sells very good simple Habitat red and wine glasses in boxes of 4 - often after Christmas they have got too many in and sell for about £4 reduced from £9-10.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Sainsburys sells very good simple Habitat red and wine glasses in boxes of 4 - often after Christmas they have got too many in and sell for about £4 reduced from £9-10.
        I think they're excellent - when the Habitat store in Hammersmith closed there was a colossal clearance sale, and we ended up buying many boxes of their glasses in different sizes, which are serving us very well years later....

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I have few rules when it comes to wine glasses. They shd be of clear glass (your pale green recycled one won't do.) The glass shd have a thin rim (I suspect your recycled one won't do.) They shd have a stem. They shd be large enuff. I think the riedel notion of different glasses for different grape types is absurd.

I was told some years ago that the key spec is to have a hole in the top, and not one in the bottom.

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I bought them 40 or 50 years ago, when I would probably have been quite insulted to be thought a peasant (I don't mind now).

Roger - I read a lot about the quality of New World wines and I'm sure some are excellent - much better than cheaper Europen wines. But I drink European ones, usually French and sometimes Spanish and Italian, depending on what I'm eating. But if I'm in another country I'll happily drink their wine - Greek, Swiss, Portuguese, E European. I'm beginning to see more German ones now. I remember far back when they were well thought of, but their reputation subsequently suffered badly .
            The quality of New World wines is surely not in doubt, and in the past I've happily drunk wines from the Americas, North and South and the Antipodes, but now it seems sensible to 'buy local'.....we make some excellent (?) wines in this country, but I didn't mean that local!

Like you 'when in Rome....'. and I've enjoyed wines in countries you wouldn't think of as great viticultural centres...Slovakia for example - we stayed a couple of weeks for a Ring in Bratislava and were constantly surprised by the wines in the little wine bar we ate in most nights.....mainly Grüner or Blaufränkisch, just over border from Vienna see.

Yes to more German wines, again, I loved visiting Germany - in fact I lived in Berlin for a year....and drank a lot of beer!

I actually love your goblet....and look forward to seeing you, and it, on The Antiques Roadshow.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

'when in Rome....'. and I've enjoyed wines in countries you wouldn't think of as great viticultural centres...
              o yes. Ethiopia, fr'instance, produces excellent wines.

('Not many people know that.')

But not often available in the UK...

Comment

• Roger Webb
                • Feb 2024

o yes. Ethiopia, fr'instance, produces excellent wines.

('Not many people know that.')

But not often available in the UK...
                And Breaky Bottom reciprocally almost unknown in Addis Ababa.....unless you drink the water!

Comment

Working...
                X