Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... nice that this thread, notionally concerned with 'favourite chocolate bars', but itself brought in to being as a response to a 'vocabulary' thread, has evolved so interestingly to encompass matters of memory, pronunciation, and reflections on our musical listening skills...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... nice that this thread, notionally concerned with 'favourite chocolate bars', but itself brought in to being as a response to a 'vocabulary' thread, has evolved so interestingly to encompass matters of memory, pronunciation, and reflections on our musical listening skills...
      Indeed so - and, if I may, I would perhaps add that the fact of my never having ordered a drink at a chocolate bar calls to mind that mythical "chocolate teapot"...

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        PPS Another example of a linguistically pointless umlaut is the name of the band, Motörhead.
        Would it make some sort of sense in Swedish? Not sure - would be pronounced differently, if that would be the point.

Re chocolate teapots, we have been known to refer to some people - typically former government ministers or MPs - as chocalate teapots - but then we usually add the rider "but at least you can always eat the chocolate"!

Comment

Still sampling Christmas delights - Minstrels, Toblerone, Mint Lindt Truffles...

Comment

The only cheap chocolate bar I enjoy is a Polish advocat creme filled bar with excellent dark chocolate that actually tastes of chocolate - Pawelek (the l is crossed but I can't get it to print here) produced by E Wedel - discovered it in my local Sainsburys

I suspect the Nestle stuff is brown coloured hydrogenated Palm oil - my father had a joke, not sure if based on any real product, that a Nestea was dropped for obvious reasons.

Comment

...and as for Cadbury’s Dark Milk chocolate being their richest, creamiest yet, I beg to differ. It’s “rich” in that it has a strong taste. But “creamy” - I think not. It’s about as uncreamy as milk chocolate could be.

It tastes horrible to me.

Comment

I received a fruit and nut toblerone for my birthday, as well as a Terry's chocolate orange. I prefer a plain or, preferably a coconut toblerone to this one, but oh well. I also bought myself a bar of Dairy Milk Medley, which contains dark chocolate chips, biscuit and fudge pieces in a bar of standard Dairy Milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  .. in a bar of standard Dairy Milk.
                  my last tasting (post take over) gave me the impression that manufacture had gone Vegan and it was Soya milk that was used to give a foul mid Atlantic taste (ie not as truly nasty as Hershey but still bad)

Comment

I have been mostly eating Darl chocolate in recent years, mainly because I tend to eatvless of it.
                    Current favourites are Lindt extreme orange and extreme raspberry. Especially good ar £1.50 , which they seem to be most of the time at Sainsburys.

The Aldi range are pretty decent, but not especially cheap at around £1.30.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      I received a fruit and nut toblerone for my birthday, as well as a Terry's chocolate orange. I prefer a plain or, preferably a coconut toblerone to this one, but oh well. I also bought myself a bar of Dairy Milk Medley, which contains dark chocolate chips, biscuit and fudge pieces in a bar of standard Dairy Milk.
                      Happy Birthday Joseph! I'd never heard of coconut Toblerone but now I'm sorely tempted. I just wish that the chocolate could be just a tad thinner. It must be age but now I find biting into these mountain peaks a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                        Happy Birthday Joseph! I'd never heard of coconut Toblerone but now I'm sorely tempted. I just wish that the chocolate could be just a tad thinner. It must be age but now I find biting into these mountain peaks a challenge.
                        Thank you, Bella. I share my birthday with fellow Forumista Serial Apologist... yes Toblerone is very nice, but a bit hard on one's teeth.

Comment

Equal Exchange orange-flavoured dark chocolate, £2.79 a bar from my local wholefood shop.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Anyone else remember Echo bars? They are no longer made by Fox's, sadly.
                            Best regards,
                            Jonathan

Comment

I've nearly given up chocolate, but I'm allowed to dream and I dream of marzipan. Terrys used to do a slim Marzipan bar, but I never see it now. They took away the marzipan diamond from Black Magic. There was never a marzipan choc in Quality Street. The Danes still value it and I used to get presents from Denmark at Christmas. Thankfully Lidl get a load of large marzipan bars in for Christmas and I am on the lookout! There's life after Trump after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                                I've nearly given up chocolate, but I'm allowed to dream and I dream of marzipan. Terrys used to do a slim Marzipan bar, but I never see it now. They took away the marzipan diamond from Black Magic. There was never a marzipan choc in Quality Street. The Danes still value it and I used to get presents from Denmark at Christmas. Thankfully Lidl get a load of large marzipan bars in for Christmas and I am on the lookout! There's life after Trump after all.
                                I love marzipan as well. Ritter Sport do a good one - dark chocolate and really 'nutty' filling. Lidl stock the brand, but recently in my local store haven't had the marzipan version, but they are also to be found elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X