Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    It is clear that beetroot based soups are very popular in some countries, but I think they have a lot more than beetroot in. During a recent trip to Lithuania several members of our party had such soup - seemed rather thick - but apparently tasty, and probably more interesting than the very large dumplings I had. Cakes with beetroot in are also tasty, though often the beetroot flavour dissipates, but the beetroot gives the cake moisture which it probably wouldn't otherwise have.
    Beetroot has the highest content of fructose in any veg, (but is good, there is no such thing as a bad vegetable, and beetroot juice is now hailed as a superdrink which enhances performance) I imagine beetroot cake to be just as nice as carrot cake but possibly with some spicing (?) and weren't parsnips used in cakes for their sugar content? Thank goodness we've moved on from that awful beetroot in vinegar favoured by elderly aunties in their salads!
    However, back to soup. I have found a Hugh F-W recipe for parsnip and ginger as mentioned by ff, but I need to buy a stick blender rather than get out and assemble the processor for blitzing. Any recommendations?
    And thank you umslopogaas for your Wine Society offer, but I just tend to buy the odd bottle on offer at the Co-Op, a case full of wine would lead me into temptation ..... and even more penury! Doversoul, next year I'll try the mature inner beans on my runners, I'm afraid I just chucked them into the garden recycling for the worm farm.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Beetroot has the highest content of fructose in any veg, (but is good, there is no such thing as a bad vegetable, and beetroot juice is now hailed as a superdrink which enhances performance) I imagine beetroot cake to be just as nice as carrot cake but possibly with some spicing (?) and weren't parsnips used in cakes for their sugar content? Thank goodness we've moved on from that awful beetroot in vinegar favoured by elderly aunties in their salads!
      However, back to soup. I have found a Hugh F-W recipe for parsnip and ginger as mentioned by ff, but I need to buy a stick blender rather than get out and assemble the processor for blitzing. Any recommendations?
      And thank you umslopogaas for your Wine Society offer, but I just tend to buy the odd bottle on offer at the Co-Op, a case full of wine would lead me into temptation ..... and even more penury! Doversoul, next year I'll try the mature inner beans on my runners, I'm afraid I just chucked them into the garden recycling for the worm farm.
      You say "....a superdrink which enhances performance." Mental? Musical? On a trapeze? That statement raises more questions than it answers. Parsnips and indeed carrot were used in cake making. Mother used to added grated carrot to her Christmas puddings.

My stick blender is a Kenwood and has given many years of faithful whizzing service. It is certainly a lot quicker than digging out the food processor.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Or as in 'Ah, Bisto'?

Parsnip and ginger, with a swirl of cream and some toasted flaked almonds to finish, as a change from croutons.
        Parsnip & ginger sounds very good

Jane Grigson's recipe is my template but years ago I added a peeled dessert apple too and it went up a notch

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          You say "....a superdrink which enhances performance." Mental? Musical? On a trapeze? That statement raises more questions than it answers.
          For sportsmen and women - why, mangerton, whatever where you thinking of?
          Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          My stick blender is a Kenwood and has given many years of faithful whizzing service. It is certainly a lot quicker than digging out the food processor.
          Thanks, I have found the reviews of stick blenders on Amazon quite confusing. I shall forthwith ask Santa for a Kenwood and yes, Santa, I have certainly been very good all year!

Comment

have any of you been tempted to buy a "soup maker" e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richa...rds=soup+maker ?

I bought a reconditioned one for £25 earlier this year and haven't got around to using it yet - I fear it may be a waste of money, its not much more than a glorified saucepan really - it just heats the ingredients intensely for 20 minutes, they still need blending

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              have any of you been tempted to buy a "soup maker" e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richa...rds=soup+maker ?

I bought a reconditioned one for £25 earlier this year and haven't got around to using it yet - I fear it may be a waste of money, its not much more than a glorified saucepan really - it just heats the ingredients intensely for 20 minutes, they still need blending
              I looked at one, I think it may have been in one of those magazines inserted into the RT or weekend papers - to be honest, I thought as you did. Why buy one when you already have a saucepan? When I am cooking I like to stir, sniff and taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                For sportsmen and women - why, mangerton, whatever where you thinking of?
                Well, as I said, Brain Power, music and acrobatic expertise. Nothing blushmaking in that, shurely?

Thanks, I have found the reviews of stick blenders on Amazon quite confusing. I shall forthwith ask Santa for a Kenwood and yes, Santa, I have certainly been very good all year!
                I'm sure you have, and I hope Santa is good to you.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I also have a Kenwood stick blender, a Christmas present some years ago from my sister, who is a chef. I used it in making my runner bean soup and it is most effective at removing any lumps. Excellent gadget.

Comment

Working...
                  X