Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that a wool blend?

(that post really need to go in a " Golden posts" thread !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I really must have a large ram of Singleton soon!
      Perv.

Comment

A dram of Singleton!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          There really is no answer to that !!!

(Second thoughts: "That'll make your eyes water, BBM" )

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            There really is no answer to that !!!

(Second thoughts: "That'll make your eyes water, BBM" )

Doh!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

The Large Ram of Singleton, as we well know in Sussex, is, like the Giant Rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                The Large Ram of Singleton, as we well know in Sussex, is, like the Giant Rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet ready.

Comment

Having a couple of glasses of this......

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Having a couple of glasses of this......

An interesting concept - blending seven whiskies from the same region together. What's it like?

Perhaps it's listed in this book ...
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Whiskies...N7CWGVWWKTF2X6 ..... you can buy it me for Christmas!

Sainsbury's seemingly has it for around £15 at present - it's £19 at amazon - http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco...sky_700ml.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      An interesting concept - blending seven whiskies from the same region together. What's it like?

Perhaps it's listed in this book ...
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Whiskies...N7CWGVWWKTF2X6 ..... you can buy it me for Christmas!

Sainsbury's seemingly has it for around £15 at present - it's £19 at amazon - http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco...sky_700ml.html
                      I'm surprised at how delicious it is. Very smooth, fruity, and subtly spicy. It also has a rich and chocolatey palate. Sometimes, it tricked me into thinking that I was drinking a blended malt (previously known as vatted malts).

I paid £18 on-line last year when it was hard to find and certainly not available in supermarkets. I'd take the opportunity to buy it at £15, if I were you.

Edit: It's very dark, so they are clearly using colouring (caramel e150). This doesn't actually bother me, and it makes it look much more appetising!

And it only needs the tiniest drop of water to subdue the alcohol burn and allow the full flavours through.

Another update: Having a glass as a digestif following my lunch. Getting lots of toffee/caramel. Really liking this whisky

And a hint of smokey bacon, ffs!
                      Last edited by Beef Oven!; 25-10-14, 13:00.

Comment

Mmmm. Does sound interesting. I went looking for this the other day, but couldn't find it in any of the supermarkets - despite my previous post. It is claimed on the mysupermarket site (which I've never used) that Sainsbury's do have it cheaply, but no sign of it in our local store - which is quite a large one. I was however, amazed at how many different varieties of whisky there were in the New Malden Tesco on Tuesday - I don't recall them having that many in the past.

I think I'm going to have to consign a few bottles of blended liquid to go into coffee, or into marmalade or other recipes, as they don't compare with even moderately decent single malts, but the Black Bottle blend does sound intriguing.

I notice your bottle seems to have come from http://www.drinksdirect.co.uk/acatal...ed_scotch.html judging by the label - or maybe it didn't, but the picture is from a site which puts extra words on the images to promote itself.

Comment

Mmmm. Does sound interesting. I went looking for this the other day, but couldn't find it in any of the supermarkets - despite my previous post. It is claimed on the mysupermarket site (which I've never used) that Sainsbury's do have it cheaply, but no sign of it in our local store - which is quite a large one. I was however, amazed at how many different varieties of whisky there were in the New Malden Tesco on Tuesday - I don't recall them having that many in the past.

I think I'm going to have to consign a few bottles of blended liquid to go into coffee, or into marmalade or other recipes, as they don't compare with even moderately decent single malts, but the Black Bottle blend does sound intriguing.

I notice your bottle seems to have come from http://www.drinksdirect.co.uk/acatal...ed_scotch.html judging by the label - or maybe it didn't, but the picture is from a site which puts extra words on the images to promote itself.
                          It's available in Morrisons at £17.99.

I've changed my mind. I've been sampling it alongside Old Poultney and Glenmorangie. I kinda agree with you, better to add a few bob to your budget and get a single malt - all supermarkets have one or other single malt on a deal.

Last year I convinced myself that single malts were a bit snobby and the future lies with decent blended whiskies. I might've been wrong.

Must say that Johnnie Walker Black label is in a class of its own and I'd be happy to open a bottle of that, instead of a single malt.

And for some reason, I adore Teachers (the whisky, not those nice people in schools).

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            It's available in Morrisons at £17.99.

I've changed my mind. I've been sampling it alongside Old Poultney and Glenmorangie. I kinda agree with you, better to add a few bob to your budget and get a single malt - all supermarkets have one or other single malt on a deal.

Last year I convinced myself that single malts were a bit snobby and the future lies with decent blended whiskies. I might've been wrong.

Must say that Johnnie Walker Black label is in a class of its own and I'd be happy to open a bottle of that, instead of a single malt.

And for some reason, I adore Teachers (the whisky, not those nice people in schools).
                            No Morrisons very close to this abode, sadly. I started looking at the price differentials. It's probably worth paying a bit more to get a better malt, but unless there are offers, many are in the £30 range and above. Some on-line offers look cheap, but then they sneak in huge postal charges, so still end up as £30 or more.

At the price, the Black Bottle does sound quite a good buy, if you like it - even if it does get demoted to an "every day" tipple!

I am definitely moving away from blends at present. Talisker was one I used to like - haven't had any of that for years - yes - we did go round the distillery.

Some people may like blends, as they may give a smoothness to the taste, but I prefer to have something more distinctive.

Comment

No Morrisons very close to this abode, sadly. I started looking at the price differentials. It's probably worth paying a bit more to get a better malt, but unless there are offers, many are in the £30 range and above. Some on-line offers look cheap, but then they sneak in huge postal charges, so still end up as £30 or more.

At the price, the Black Bottle does sound quite a good buy, if you like it - even if it does get demoted to an "every day" tipple!

I am definitely moving away from blends at present. Talisker was one I used to like - haven't had any of that for years - yes - we did go round the distillery.

Some people may like blends, as they may give a smoothness to the taste, but I prefer to have something more distinctive.
                              I'm finding blends aren't that smooth. So far I've finished bottles of Whyte & Mackay, JW Red Label, Famous Grouse, J&B, Vat 69, Teachers and Bells (I have an unopened bottle of Bailie Jarvie Nichol). FG is surprisingly smooth (I ribbed Caliban last Xmas for drinking it. I shouldn't have). Teachers is wonderful. But that's about the long and the short of it.

Right now I am sampling bottles of Highland Park and Talisker. MrGG & BBM are on record as supporters of Talisker. The HP smells perfectly of my Puma King football boot laces, circa 1977! Earth and earth! I am a teenager again! Talker is also earthy, but not so much.

Talisker tastes a tad medicinal, but quaffable! HP tastes smoother. I suppose I'm not there yet and must keep trying!
                              Last edited by Beef Oven!; 02-11-14, 16:51.

Comment

Add my name to the list of Tallisker supporters - it was the last dram I had (Wednesday lunchtime); not quite in the league of my favourite tipple (Lagavulin) but very, very close: the mere scent puts me in a more relaxed frame of mind.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X