Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Serious question frances - do you think that people in USA will forget about the Murdoch family shenanigans so easily?
    yes probably by next week - work out how many watch Faux news - that should indicate something about the American mind (after all they voted Bush II in twice - generally considered by most commentators as the worst president ever but who has left a legacy of total disregard for constitutional niceties)

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      yes probably by next week - work out how many watch Faux news - that should indicate something about the American mind (after all they voted Bush II in twice - generally considered by most commentators as the worst president ever but who has left a legacy of total disregard for constitutional niceties)
      Sorry frances, I expressed myself inadequately :erm: - do you think that the media lawyers considering or already preparing class actions against News Corp in USA will forget about the Murdoch family shenanigans so easily?

Comment

American laywers and ethics? - it's not 1st April yet - if they can make money they will otherwise they like the public will foget about it - next biggie in US disregard of legal niceties is the apparent secret indictment ready for Assange when he sets foot in Sweden - that should help stir up uncritical US 'patriotism'in time for November

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          American laywers and ethics? - it's not 1st April yet - if they can make money they will otherwise they like the public will foget about it - next biggie in US disregard of legal niceties is the apparent secret indictment ready for Assange when he sets foot in Sweden - that should help stir up uncritical US 'patriotism'in time for November
          OK I've obviously chosen the wrong person through whom to air these issues :smiley:

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            OK I've obviously chosen the wrong person through whom to air these issues :smiley:
            possibly but nearly all class actions result in lawyers getting rich with little benefit to the victims of corporate misbehaviour. News Corp has deep pockets thus any legal battle will extend during and past the Nov elections - unlikely to see much political enthusiasm as News Corp too strong in media industry + esp friendly to right wing - Obama I suspect won't have anything to gain unless there is a clean kill of News Corp and that for reasons given above this won't be possible. Thus I suspect it is going nowhere though News Corp might have to shell out a bit more than it budgeted for in donations etc.
            The UK is only now waking upto the level of corruption (or interlocking between politicians, press etc oiled by money) - the US supposedly free by constitution from such surveillance has come to realise that the DHS has carte blanche to spy on any American citizen without the nicety of getting warrants - it has also seen corporate payment to its elected officials (nominally for their election expenses) for years and such corruption is I suspect one of the driving reasons behind popular support for Tea Party

Comment

Interesting opinion piece by Peter Oborne in today's Telegraph

Shades of Poulson/Maxwell? :erm:

Comment

all very well but isn't he thirty years or so late to the party?
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  all very well but isn't he thirty years or so late to the party?
                  'Tis ne'er too late, in my book... When someone like Oborne - like my dad right at the end of his life - "sees the light", and, better still, "comes out", imo it needs no confessional. Oborne's done a number of really useful live documentaries on telly, exposing stuff I dare say he once wouldn't have been prepared to countenance, from where he is coming politically. From here it's just a matter of understanding the underlying whys and wherefores of power and its exercise. True, that might be another 30 years' worth of facing (up to) realities.

Comment

The police have arrested another Sun journalist as part of Operation Elvedon, the 11th Sun journalist and 23rd person to be arrested since last November.

A woman has been arrested on suspicion of making corrupt payments to public officials as part of Operation Elveden. By Dan Sabbagh

She was questioned at a south London police station and later released on bail until May.

Comment

Ofcom finally gets its teeth out of the denture glass and prepares to take a bite out of Murdoch Junior

Media regulator's Project Apple examines phone-hacking evidence to decide on 39-year-old's stewardship

But will the bite prove fatal to his UK ambitions? :yikes::ok:

Comment

i have high hopes that the Akers led investigation into bribery is curtains for the Ms in the USA
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

"If Ofcom concluded that either Murdoch or News Corp were not appropriate owners, the regulator could revoke Sky's licence to broadcast in the UK, forcing it to switch off its channels, unless Murdoch stepped down from the board or News Corp sold its 39.1% stake."

Oh dear - do you think they've told Mr Pee?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            "If Ofcom concluded that either Murdoch or News Corp were not appropriate owners, the regulator could revoke Sky's licence to broadcast in the UK, forcing it to switch off its channels, unless Murdoch stepped down from the board or News Corp sold its 39.1% stake."

Oh dear - do you think they've told Mr Pee?
                            Dream on dears. There's more chance of yours truly winning the Euromillions jackpot than BSkyB losing its licence. Still, if such fantasies keep you happy, be my guest. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Operation Weeting officers re-arrest former NoW chief reporter, Neville Thurlbeck, this time on suspicion of intimidation of a witness

Operation Weeting officers re-arrest former NoW chief reporter, this time on suspicion of intimidation of a witness. By Lisa O'Carroll

Comment

james writes to committee asserting ignorance and therefore innocence; shame the evidence points to an inconvenient informing of the scale of the problem ..

Comment

Working...
                                X