X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    Ah ... Flossie's finally arrived :ok:... and the simple answer to your question is 'no' ... people from any background can and do hold 'centrist' views!
    :laugh: :laugh:

He shoots - he scores! oops, no - it's bounced off the crossbar.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      :laugh: :laugh:

He shoots - he scores! oops, no - it's bounced off the crossbar.
      :laugh::ale: and one for scotty :ale:
      Last edited by Guest; 19-12-12, 22:27. Reason: trypo

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Très bien dit
        Sure but, at the same time (as I have already pointed out), trying to foist mid-19th century commentaries, however enlightening might have been their historical timeliness, upon the second decade of 21st century is on a Haydn to plenty o' nuttin - just as (it seems to me) is the business of trying to over-simplify either Britain's current "class structure" or the political adherences of its electorate by means of mere attempted blanket "left, right and centre" categorisations, because neither has credibility nor makes any kind of generally acceptable sense (let alone the much-vaunted "common sense"!)...
        Last edited by ahinton; 19-12-12, 22:42.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Sure but, at the same time (as I have already pointed out), trying to foist mid-19th century commentaries upon the second decade of 21st century is on a Haydn to plenty o' nuttin.
          'mid'? ... what on earth does that mean, for goodness sake? ... or do you really mean 'centrist' ? ... can you be rather more precise regarding the exact dates that you are familiar with 'mid'-19th century commentaries, please, ahinton? :cool:

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

'mid'? ... what on earth does that mean, for goodness sake? ... or do you really mean 'centrist' ? ... can you be rather more precise regarding the exact dates that you are familiar with 'mid'-19th century commentaries, please, ahinton? :cool:
            Pay more attention, scotty; I already gave the precise date of 1869 when the Arnold book was published.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

The conduct of the diplomatic protection officer and this dubious e-mail do require investigation.

The fact remains is that the two officers at whom he admits swearing recorded the use of the word " plebs " in their report . The question remains the same - were they telling the truth or did they mishear him or make it up ?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                The conduct of the diplomatic protection officer and this dubious e-mail do require investigation.

The fact remains is that the two officers at whom he admits swearing recorded the use of the word " plebs " in their report . The question remains the same - were they telling the truth or did they mishear him or make it up ?
                The Police Federation is now apparently claiming it was not involved in 'a campaign against Mitchell'. Any idiot can google 'Mitchell' and 'Police Federation' and see that this is completely untrue. It called for his sacking/resignation repeatedly.

This seemingly ridiculous farce has now turned into a very bad smell, and police behaviour and credibility are far more serious issues than a cabinet minister suddenly losing his temper and allegedly calling some officers some very childish 'names'.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

The Police Federation is now apparently claiming it was not involved in 'a campaign against Mitchell'. Any idiot can google 'Mitchell' and 'Police Federation' and see that this is completely untrue. It called for his sacking/resignation repeatedly.

This seemingly ridiculous farce has now turned into a very bad smell, and police behaviour and credibility are far more serious issues than a cabinet minister suddenly losing his temper and allegedly calling some officers some very childish 'names'.
                  I agree with you here, except to the extent that someone in Mitchell's exalted position ought to know how to behave himself better than he has done on several past occasions and appears to have done on this one, even though his conduct in this one seems to have been widely exaggerated.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

.....seems to have been widely exaggerated.
                    Indeed, as were many of the comments made by the usual crowd about Mitchell in the original Plebs/Toffs thread. Should it turn out that Mitchell did not, as he has claimed, use the 'pleb' word then will there be a retraction of said comments by posters? Somehow, I doubt it.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                      Indeed, as were many of the comments made by the usual crowd about Mitchell in the original Plebs/Toffs thread. Should it turn out that Mitchell did not, as he has claimed, use the 'pleb' word then will there be a retraction of said comments by posters? Somehow, I doubt it.
                      As the circumstances will have changed, that seems a tad unreasonable.

I think you'd accept that, surely :erm:

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        As the circumstances will have changed, that seems a tad unreasonable.

I think you'd accept that, surely :erm:
                        Hey, amsey, on a point of logic, I made the same case about Clegg and tuition fees, ie the value of single-party election promises had changed with the formation of a compromise two-party coalition government.

So you now accept that Clegg has nothing to apologise for ...? :winkeye:

Comment

• amateur51

Hey, amsey, on a point of logic, I made the same case about Clegg and tuition fees, ie the value of single-party election promises had changed with the formation of a compromise two-party coalition government.

So you now accept that Clegg has nothing to apologise for ...? :winkeye:
                          There was nothing logical about Clegg's pledge. It was pure opportunism, something he knew he'd never had to deliver because he would never be in a position to have to deliver it as the sole party of government. It was his deception when he was caught out by the tantalising offer of a coalition that people got so cross about. :yikes:

Nice try tho, scotty :winkeye:

Comment

• scottycelt

I agree with you here, except to the extent that someone in Mitchell's exalted position ought to know how to behave himself better than he has done on several past occasions and appears to have done on this one, even though his conduct in this one seems to have been widely exaggerated.
                            :ok:

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Politicians spin , deceive, mislead all the time. All parties. If you live by the sword........
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Politicians spin , deceive, mislead all the time. All parties. If you live by the sword........
                                ........your constituents die by it? Is that what you mean?

It is only fair to point out that your accusation by no means applies to all politicians all of the time...

Comment

Working...
                                X