No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Daley's In Love ...

British Olympic diving star Tom Daley has announced on youtube that

"In spring this year my life changed massively when I met someone, and they make me feel so happy, so safe and everything just feels great.

"That someone is a guy."

Olympic diving star Tom Daley reveals in a YouTube broadcast that he is in a relationship with a man.

This has been a hard decision to make, but I wanted you to hear this from me.Subscribe to the channel here; http://goo.gl/zgBveCWebsite http://www.tomdaley.tv

I watched the video with a big silly grin on my face.

What a remarkable modern young man.

And what has this got to do with the forum? Well, there has been much talk elsewhere about Benjamin Britten and Paper Pears and their relationship and here were are seventy years later and while Tom Daley clearly hasn't found 'coming out' easy, as a society we are clearly light years ahead of the 1940s.

:bubbly::ok:

:biggrin:

Thinking about it and the forthcoming Winter Olypics in anti-gay Russia, I'm reminded too of another personal hero, John Curry who danced so beautifully all the way to a gold medal, far away and long ago

Last edited by Guest; 02-12-13, 14:11. Reason: John Curry addition

Sorry, but we are clearly not light years ahead of the 1940s.
    One in six gay or bisexual people – about 630,000 individuals – has been victim of a homophobic hate crime or incident in the past three years.
    This situation often goes unreported, not least by the victims, but it is widespread.
    In Chester this autumn we have experienced two violent attacks on gay men in public places, one of which proved fatal.
    Our local version of Ian Paisley frequently preaches in the main square against same-sex marriage etc.

"Homophobic Hate Crime: The Gay British Crime Survey 2013,
    conducted by pollsters YouGov, who surveyed more than 2,500 lesbian, gay and bisexual people across Britain
    on their experiences of homophobic hate crimes and incidents.

One in 10 people experiencing a homophobic hate crime or incident was physically assaulted, the survey found,
    while almost one in five victims were threatened with violence or the use of force.

One in eight victims have had their home, vehicle or property vandalised.

Harassment, insults and intimidation were most common, reported by more than eight in 10 lesbian, gay and bisexual people
    who have suffered a hate crime or incident."
    Last edited by Guest; 02-12-13, 15:12. Reason: more info

Comment

Whilst watching 'Long Lost Family' some time ago, my daughter rang up incensed that, in the story being told, a sister had lost touch with her brother. His parents had thrown him out of their home because he was gay. I pointed out to her that for the first 20years of my life, it had been an offence to commit gay acts and you could go to prison for it. We have come a long way but there is still a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
        Sorry, but we are not we are clearly not light years ahead of the 1940s.

In Chester this autumn we have experienced two violent attacks on gay men in public places, one of which proved fatal.
        Our local version of Ian Paisley frequently preaches in the main square against same-sex marriage etc.
        This situation often goes unreported, not least by the victims but it is widespread.

"Homophobic Hate Crime: The Gay British Crime Survey 2013,
        conducted by pollsters YouGov, who surveyed more than 2,500 lesbian, gay and bisexual people across Britain
        on their experiences of homophobic hate crimes and incidents.

One in 10 people experiencing a homophobic hate crime or incident was physically assaulted, the survey found,
        while almost one in five victims were threatened with violence or the use of force.

One in eight victims have had their home, vehicle or property vandalised.

Harassment, insults and intimidation were most common, reported by more than eight in 10 lesbian, gay and bisexual people
        who have suffered a hate crime or incident."
        I take your well-made point Stephen Whitaker, not least because I was brought up in Wrexham in the 1950s and 60s and I still feel I'm going back in time when i visit there.

I'd point out that there no hate crime to report in the 1940s; no gay man in his right mind would go to the police to report these attacks; and no-one would think of coming out in the 1940s and expect to keep his job. In these senses I think we have come a long way.

Comment

I think some of these comments could be widened to include all 'hate crime'.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I think some of these comments could be widened to include all 'hate crime'.
            Indeed, the Bristol murder case has thrown a spotlight on the abuse that disabled people are subjected to by their communities,
            a situation that is totally incomprehensible to me, especially in view of the massive changes in attitude the Paralympics were supposed to have achieved.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure who he is, but I watched the youtube clip and was most impressed. Brave sentiments and put over with charm and confidence. Assuming he's some sort of sportsman, let's hope that it's a footballer next. (The statement, "Of course I still fancy girls" sounded a little confusing - but I suppose he's still confused himself.)

Comment

Notions of public and private continue to be confused by the Facebook generation.
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  Notions of public and private continue to be confused by the Facebook generation.
                  If it was a question of this method or screaming headlines in the tabloids, I think he's made the correct decision.

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                    If it was a question of this method or screaming headlines in the tabloids, I think he's made the correct decision.
                    I'm sure that's the dilemma he was facing: I'd be amazed if a tabloid hadn't been poised with "the story", and rather than leave them to tell it their way, or attempt to suppress the information, he and his PR machine opted sensibly for this route. It's by no means the first time and sadly won't be the last.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                      I'm not 100% sure who he is, but I watched the youtube clip and was most impressed. Brave sentiments and put over with charm and confidence. Assuming he's some sort of sportsman, let's hope that it's a footballer next. (The statement, "Of course I still fancy girls" sounded a little confusing - but I suppose he's still confused himself.)
                      Homophobic people will feel self-justificatorily put out by his wanting and maybe getting the best of both worlds; given this public profile as a top athlete and forthcoming participations in countries where gayness is still not accepted I regard his coming out as especially brave.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Whitaker View Post
                        Indeed, the Bristol murder case has thrown a spotlight on the abuse that disabled people are subjected to by their communities,
                        a situation that is totally incomprehensible to me, especially in view of the massive changes in attitude the Paralympics were supposed to have achieved.
                        And the police apparently were averted on several occasions. Disabled, Iranian and 'therefore' a paedophile. Quite sickening.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I doubt it was simply the case as Caliban suggests that a newspaper had become aware that he was in a relationship with another man .There is a possibility his hand was forced. Generally , nowadays Article 8 ECHR stops newspapers printing stories about a person's sexuality as it is considered to be part of their private life and confidential and publication even if one is in the public eye is regarded as an actionable breach of confidence .

The main principle being what is in the public interest is not the same as what is interesting to the public . It appears he was quoted as denying he was gay in September in a newspaper and that may have enabled a newspaper to argue exposing dishonesty and hypocrisy as being in the public interest .If that were the case he may have decided to spike their guns .

In his case , I imagine , however a court would have been very sympathetic notwithstanding to a request for an injunction and not considered exposing his private life as justified .

On the other hand , one can but hope simply he has decided he is so happy he wants to be open about it and sod any effect it has on endorsements etc.

Good luck to him anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            It appears he was quoted as denying he was gay in September in a newspaper and that may have enabled a newspaper to argue exposing dishonesty and hypocrisy as being in the public interest .If that were the case he may have decided to spike their guns .

This could explain the line: "Of course, I still fancy girls".

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              And what has this got to do with the forum? Well, there has been much talk elsewhere about Benjamin Britten and Paper Pears and their relationship and here were are seventy years later and while Tom Daley clearly hasn't found 'coming out' easy, as a society we are clearly light years ahead of the 1940s.
                              Britten and Pears were classical musicians, and therefore relevant to this forum. Tom Daley isn't. I hope this isn't yet another attempt to skew the forum towards a particular pet topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X