Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Retune View Post

'As well as a fantastic classical music playlist, there will be news reports and short features, including a fun new bite-size feature where Tom and guests unpack the answers to questions you've always wanted to ask: this week Tom asks why music gives us goosebumps.'
    Like so many things these days, this seems like parody….
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Like so many things these days, this seems like parody….
      There may be a physiological reason why some music gives some people goosebumps. But since I've never really thought about it or experienced it I (for one) shan't be interested in hearing the answer.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

There may be a physiological reason why some music gives some people goosebumps. But since I've never really thought about it or experienced it I (for one) shan't be interested in hearing the answer.
        My physiology certainly allows me to experience goosebumps, but I suspect that hearing TS talk about it would act as a total suppressant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

“Fantastic “ , “ unpack” , “bite -size “ . That press release was written by AI with the instruction to use as many cliches as possible.
          "Re-imagined" isn't in there - but I'm sure it'll be coming along soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I suspect that hearing TS talk about it would act as a total suppressant.
            … among other physiological and psychological effects e.g. in my case, a sudden onset of Coprolalic Tourette Syndrome
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

My physiology certainly allows me to experience goosebumps, but I suspect that hearing TS talk about it would act as a total suppressant.
              Can’t see any point broadcasting anything that you can find on wiki or by a bit of googling and the “why does music give you goosebumps “ falls into that category. Still it means that feature can be knocked together in a couple of hours while BAL reviewers spend days listening to CD’s and making fine judgements.
              Pretty soon AI will be able to make radio features like the goosebump one but it’ll be some time before it can do anything that requires critical thinking.

Comment

Can’t see any point broadcasting anything that you can find on wiki or by a bit of googling and the “why does music give you goosebumps “ falls into that category. Still it means that feature can be knocked together in a couple of hours while BAL reviewers spend days listening to CD’s and making fine judgements.
                Pretty soon AI will be able to make radio features like the goosebump one but it’ll be some time before it can do anything that requires critical thinking.
                More opportunities for us to do our own BaLs and make our own often very enlightening comments and judgements.
                Thanks for yours on Butterfly, btw!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                  Just spent a lazy Saturday morning listening to Record review, as I have on most Saturdays since the 1970s. Alas no more, Sounds notwithstanding. An exemplary BaL today too
                  Yes indeed , Nigel Simeone was on terrific form. It is not easy to compare a miscellany of recordings of a two hour opera but 'our man' was exemplary. To move Record Review to the Saturday Siesta spot is deplorable, cultural vandalism.

Comment

The language we use is so revealing about the way we think isn’t it? I am not sure they can even be separated- but then I tend to think in words . Use of cliché so often means that very little real thought has taken place. That doesn’t matter if you are ordering a home delivery but it does when you’re talking about a complex culturally rich institution. It’s the effort to sound like a U.S. businessman that’s so dispiriting . The thing is he thinks it’s impressive.
                    This ought to be required reading for senior figures at the BBC:
                    "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

'A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: What am I trying to say? What words will express it? What image or idiom will make it clearer? Is this image fresh enough to have an effect? And he will probably ask himself two more: Could I put it more shortly? Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly? But you are not obliged to go to all this trouble. You can shirk it by simply throwing your mind open and letting the ready-made phrases come crowding in. They will construct your sentences for you – even think your thoughts for you, to a certain extent – and at need they will perform the important service of partially concealing your meaning even from yourself.'

Comment

I've just thought to look up the headline story of last quarter's Rajar figures: the BBC continues to lose listeners to commercial radio. R3 certainly seems to be throwing everything into losing its 'stuffy elitist' image in favour of lean-back easy listening.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

"Re-imagined" isn't in there - but I'm sure it'll be coming along soon...
                        Also 'immersive' and 'mindful'.

The new agenda seems to be music as emotional therapy. Intellectual approaches are a no-no.

Comment

Presumably the data shows ( or can be made to show) that people tend to listen to the show on BBC Sounds at a time of their choosing, according to their lifestyle and preferences, so really, anything can be on at any old time.
                          So although they could , for instance , sensibly move weekend breakfast back 2 hours to make it a much more fashionable Brunch,there isn’t much point.
                          Or something.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Also 'immersive' and 'mindful'.

The new agenda seems to be music as emotional therapy. Intellectual approaches are a no-no.
                            Well said , KB. Head and Heart is usually where it is best.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post

This ought to be required reading for senior figures at the BBC:
                              "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

'A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: What am I trying to say? What words will express it? What image or idiom will make it clearer? Is this image fresh enough to have an effect? And he will probably ask himself two more: Could I put it more shortly? Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly? But you are not obliged to go to all this trouble. You can shirk it by simply throwing your mind open and letting the ready-made phrases come crowding in. They will construct your sentences for you – even think your thoughts for you, to a certain extent – and at need they will perform the important service of partially concealing your meaning even from yourself.'
                              Well I read it when I was sixteen . There are very many excellent writers at the BBC . Believe it or not even some of the management reports are well written - as they should be given that many of those managers are journalists. The problem is that US business speak has taken over.

Comment

There are very many excellent writers at the BBC . Believe it or not even some of the management reports are well written - as they should be given that many of those managers are journalists. The problem is that US business speak has taken over.
                                I assume that most press releases/publicity blurb is written by the press office. I've read some shockers where obviously the factual information is conveyed in draft form: "Now knock that into something readable and exciting."

Comment

Working...
                                X