Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

If, as has been suggested, it's important for the new Controller to be seen to be doing something, why not 'promote' Tom Service, who - at least according to the announcement from the BBC Media Centre - 'is one of Radio 3's best-loved voices' ?.
    I would say that Radio 3 now resembles Arkwright's shop in 'Open All Hours' rather than a supermarket.
    I’m sure GGGranville would strongly disagree with this suggecstion.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I’m sure GGGranville would strongly disagree with this suggecstion.
      Why? What does he listen to?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Why? What does he listen to?
        He's usually listening out for the rustling of Nurse Gladys Emmanuel's stockings.

Comment

He's usually listening out for the rustling of Nurse Gladys Emmanuel's stockings.
          o no : 'tis Arkwright that is listening for that rustle - Gggggggranville has his ears alert for a passing milkwoman...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

o no : 'tis Arkwright that is listening for that rustle - Gggggggranville has his ears alert for a passing milkwoman...

Sorry - you're right, of course! I would have ordered extra pints had the lovely Barbara Flynn been my milkwoman.

Comment

People should not, however, feel any hesitation at all about returning to the original topic should they wish
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

People should not, however, feel any hesitation at all about returning to the original topic should they wish
                Shows the dangers of messing with peoples' routines though, their minds are free to wander down dubious byways.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Shows the dangers of messing with peoples' routines though, their minds are free to wander down dubious byways.
                  Especially on April 1st!

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I find the change annoying and pointless, as was BaL's move to 10.30. The morning timeslot suits my current routine, but at the time in my life when Saturday morning routine mainly involved ferrying children around I might, as a personal preference, have welcomed a move to Sat afternoon. That was when "Man of Action" was on.

Comment

Good luck with that!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Good luck with that!
                        Thank you, squire

Comment

To go back, as requested, to the original topic: the only explanation I can offer is that's possibly hoped that the move will help boost listener numbers in the afternoon, but that's hardly likely to happen if Tom Service's programme causes a significant number of people to tune out and not tune in again later in the day.

Comment

To go back, as requested, to the original topic: the only explanation I can offer is that's possibly hoped that the move will help boost listener numbers in the afternoon, but that's hardly likely to happen if Tom Service's programme causes a significant number of people to tune out and not tune in again later in the day.
                            An interesting thought. But 'Listening through the day' showed a similar pattern, week in, week out, regardless of schedule changes. In an extreme case, a popular programme moved to a graveyard slot will lose listeners rather than induce them to listen at an inconvenient hour. People turn on their radios when they get up and have their breakfast - and R3 hangs on to its programmes in the later morning a bit better than other stations (probably because more of the audience is retired) and listening gradually declines until it picks up at drivetime. Then, again, R3 is simewhat better than other stations at hanging on to the evening listeners because of the 'live' concert whereas in general people move over to watching television in the evening.

I'm not sure how much this pattern has changed to allow anyone to think moving a programme from a Saturday morning to the afternoon will 'boost listener numbers'. It might boost the On Demand figures but I'd predict that wouldn't compensate for the loss of 'live' listeners.

Comment

An interesting thought. But 'Listening through the day' showed a similar pattern, week in, week out, regardless of schedule changes. In an extreme case, a popular programme moved to a graveyard slot will lose listeners rather than induce them to listen at an inconvenient hour. People turn on their radios when they get up and have their breakfast - and R3 hangs on to its programmes in the later morning a bit better than other stations (probably because more of the audience is retired) and listening gradually declines until it picks up at drivetime. Then, again, R3 is simewhat better than other stations at hanging on to the evening listeners because of the 'live' concert whereas in general people move over to watching television in the evening.

I'm not sure how much this pattern has changed to allow anyone to think moving a programme from a Saturday morning to the afternoon will 'boost listener numbers'. It might boost the On Demand figures but I'd predict that wouldn't compensate for the loss of 'live' listeners.
                              I’ve never been able to get hold of the audiences for specific slots for shows on Radio 3 (even when I was working in broadcasting ) only the top line figures that are made public. Presumably individual show figures are produced though with low overall figures they are likely to be estimates only. Occasionally figures for the Breakfast shows are released but they are complicated by the fact that many people are only listening for 15 minutes or so.
                              I’m guessing that the afternoon and evening figures are only a fraction of those for Breakfast - perhaps as little as a tenth. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Evening concert figures are under 50,000 or so but have no idea really.
                              The beauty of the online figures is that you know exactly how many people are listening, If they leave their postcode (which most people do) you then also acquire a vast amount of related demographic information.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                I’ve never been able to get hold of the audiences for specific slots for shows on Radio 3 (even when I was working in broadcasting ) only the top line figures that are made public. Presumably individual show figures are produced though with low overall figures they are likely to be estimates only.
                                I have some information, official and unofficial and this graphic of Saturday Audiences Through The Day was produced for the DCMS Charter Review. I had some more recent info than 2003/04 somewhere but the general pattern of listening is the same. Compare the CD Review 9am slot with the mid afternoon 2-4pm slot.

Comment

Working...
                                X