Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking about grudgingly giving Service a try but with his first ‘guest star’ being Lang Lang they have made darn sure - as was no doubt the intention - that someone who listened to RR for 40 years - won’t touch it with a barge pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
      I was thinking about grudgingly giving Service a try but with his first ‘guest star’ being Lang Lang they have made darn sure - as was no doubt the intention - that someone who listened to RR for 40 years - won’t touch it with a barge pole.
      Why not Lang Lang - like Tom, he's a superstar!

Comment

I have joined this excellent forum to find out why oh why they have jumbled and in some cases dumped my favourite programmes and it seems it is far worse than I thought. You might say I have been asleep at the wheel...but best listening for me is where I deepen my understanding of great classical music and become acquainted with old and new generations of musicians and concert performers. Music isn't just Valium radio 3 controllers...like Classic FM... what has happened to Music Matters and also Inside Music? What have you done?

Comment

Welcome, Wigmore fan. You are at least among the like-minded. Music Matters seems still to be there, with some possibly interesting subjects. Inside Music has gone. Full details of the "refreshed" schedule here:

BBC Radio 3 unveils refreshed schedule and BBC TV announces major new series and performance highlights from across the UK
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks for info FF...and the link to programme change announcements....I can see Music Matters will be really good and have read the Times article via link too (thanks whoever). That point about morning chores reminds me a bit of music while you work - a real golden oldie I don't wish to see revived. I shall take a more reasonable approach but baulk at Classical Live which turns wonderful music in to chewing gum for the ears. And where is Record Review extra - has that gone too?

Comment

Originally posted by Wigmore fan View Post
              And where is Record Review extra - has that gone too?
              That appears to be the case, yes.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I have joined this excellent forum to find out why oh why they have jumbled and in some cases dumped my favourite programmes and it seems it is far worse than I thought. You might say I have been asleep at the wheel...but best listening for me is where I deepen my understanding of great classical music and become acquainted with old and new generations of musicians and concert performers. Music isn't just Valium radio 3 controllers...like Classic FM... what has happened to Music Matters and also Inside Music? What have you done?
                I think the alarm bells started ringing when the identity of the new Controller of Radio 3 became known. Sadly, his statements and actions seem to prove that Forumistas' fears were well-founded.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I think the alarm bells started ringing when the identity of the new Controller of Radio 3 became known. Sadly, his statements and actions seem to prove that Forumistas' fears were well-founded.
                  But let's be fair. If not him, who? He was appointed to do the job which, in general terms, the BBC wanted him to do. St John's Voices anyone? Arts Council? See Richard Morrison's point in his latest article. It's more inclusive to direct funding at amateur community activities than to fund top class musicians.

“In these days of ‘managerialism' and relentless commercial competition – not to mention the BBC’s own controversial attempts to compete with its commercial rivals – Radio 3 will continue to be at risk.” (Humphrey Carpenter, The Envy of the World)

Comment

Welcome Wigmore Fan . Any fan of Wigmore is a friend of mine !

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
                      100% with you on that one. TS has just introduced Lang Lang - and I’ve just turned it off.

Thank God they haven’t got rid of Jess.

Comment

For the first time in decades, I’ve turned off R3 at 9.30am. They haven’t got a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Philidor View Post
                          For the first time in decades, I’ve turned off R3 at 9.30am. They haven’t got a clue.
                          yes they have - R3 is, like this web site, in its zombie state before the final descent of the executioner's axe - it has started the move towards what may be kindly described as R2.5 but with all pretence at intellectual depth removed - possibly some may reappear in a watered down version on R4 which also is now dumbed down both in intellectual depth but also in fear of provoking the rabid rightwing Tories to further remove funding

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post

100% with you on that one. TS has just introduced Lang Lang - and I’ve just turned it off.

Thank God they haven’t got rid of Jess.
                            Bit of a shame because he’s just played some Boulanger superbly ..

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
                              TS has just introduced Lang Lang - and I’ve just turned it off.
                              The thing is, lots of people have heard of Lang Lang, so will be attracted to listen (they hope). But fewer RR/R3 listeners.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                                yes they have - R3 is, like this web site, in its zombie state before the final descent of the executioner's axe - it has started the move towards what may be kindly described as R2.5 but with all pretence at intellectual depth removed - possibly some may reappear in a watered down version on R4 which also is now dumbed down both in intellectual depth but also in fear of provoking the rabid rightwing Tories to further remove funding
                                By “this website” do you mean the forum? I’m no zombie despite still having Covid symptoms three weeks later.
                                Happy to wrench the executioners axe from his hand if needed! I’d even restore some intellectual depth to R3 if they’d have me…

Comment

Working...
                                X