Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps it's just my perception, but there seem to have been a lot of ads for RR these past few days. One could say it's a helpful move, for those who haven't caught up with the time change yet, but it does rather smack of adding insult to injury. If the time hadn't been changed listeners wouldn't need prodding...

Comment

Complaints about the BBC dealt with centrally don't, in my experience, include editorial complaints about indiividual services. The BBC's central complaints were outsourced to a private company. It used to be Capita (!) but I don't know who it is now.

The best way to make a complaint about Record Review is to write politely to Sam Jackson, copying it to the Director of Radio (Audio?) and the Director General. Also to the Chairman of the Governors if you feel like it. The problem is when changes are made and management is fully expecting complaints of this kind but are determined to go ahead anyway. It would take a very skilfully constructed letter to penetrate the understanding of anyone other than R3, and unrewarding to complain to R3.

But we never thought we shouldn't try anyway.

Looks as if the BBC has just last month put Audience Services out to contract again.
      Last edited by french frank; 15-04-24, 15:14.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I'd give anything to know what Andrew McGregor's private thoughts are on the move of RR to Saturday afternoons. Was he complicit? Was it a more convenient arrangement for him? Or was his hand forced? I haven't found anything worth more than passing attention in Tom Service's programme this morning. It's very difficult to escape the impression that the BBC is dominated by desperate populists – and yes, even philistines – these days. Rather like the Arts Council, in fact. An example struck me forcibly yesterday when BBC News thought fit to include an item on the release of Taylor Swift's latest "album". Why on earth? On the same day, by coincidence, Yunchan Lim's superlative Chopin Études was released. He has already made a name for himself internationally as the 18-year old winner of the Van Cliburn, but clearly it was too much to hope that that would merit a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachtigall View Post
          I'd give anything to know what Andrew McGregor's private thoughts are on the move of RR to Saturday afternoons. Was he complicit? Was it a more convenient arrangement for him? Or was his hand forced? I haven't found anything worth more than passing attention in Tom Service's programme this morning. It's very difficult to escape the impression that the BBC is dominated by desperate populists – and yes, even philistines – these days. Rather like the Arts Council, in fact. An example struck me forcibly yesterday when BBC News thought fit to include an item on the release of Taylor Swift's latest "album". Why on earth? On the same day, by coincidence, Yunchan Lim's superlative Chopin Études was released. He has already made a name for himself internationally as the 18-year old winner of the Van Cliburn, but clearly it was too much to hope that that would merit a mention.
          Indeed, and especially in light of the way even the Beeb's own "classical" competitions get sidelined, and buried in the schedules. The blunt facts are that "everyone" knows who and what Taylor Swift is, and so anything to do with her is "news" to be put out by a public service broadcaster, whereas "no-one" knows who Yungchan Lim is, nor Chopin, so no-one will want to hear anything related to them any way, let alone the young man's achievement. He'd have done better to carry the piano to the top of a mountain to raise money for charity to get in the news, with a throw away comment from the news reader "Oh, and he won some important competition as well, apparently".

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            ...The blunt facts are that "everyone" knows who and what Taylor Swift is, and so anything to do with her is "news" to be put out by a public service broadcaster, whereas "no-one" knows who Yungchan Lim is, nor Chopin...
            On this point I was taught a salutary lesson this morning having brunch with a friend who's not a classical music fan. I mentioned that I've been sorting out my collection of '78s' and that there were a number of Caruso recordings. He asked, "is Caruso a record label?" This took me aback as I'd assumed 'everyone' knows who Caruso was but clearly not!

Comment

An example struck me forcibly yesterday when BBC News thought fit to include an item on the release of Taylor Swift's latest "album". Why on earth?
              I know the Guardian isn't generally very strong on culture, but it has covered this new album very extensively in recent days, including a detailed look at the lyrics and what they reveal about Taylor Swift. I read this and it reminded me of those loving Wikipedia articles about teenage pop idols that are twice as long as the article on eg Mozart.

Continuing my quest, I started listening to a song on YouTube. I couldn't make out the words most of the time but I did catch "I want to kill her". I stopped listening after just over a minute. No voice, all brand and marketing. Welcome to the 21st century
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                I mentioned that I've been sorting out my collection of '78s' and that there were a number of Caruso recordings. He asked, "is Caruso a record label?"
                "Botticelli isn't a wine, you juggins, Botticelli's a cheesel"

Punch 1894
                [vol civ p 270]

Comment

If you knew what they were, they would no longer be private, would they? Perhaps they made him sign a NDA - they're very fashionable.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

"Botticelli isn't a wine, you juggins, Botticelli's a cheesel"

Punch 1894
                    [vol civ p 270]
                    Ah, so is 'Trittico Botticelliano' a type of pizza...?

Comment

Vivaldi's Quatro Formaggi?

Comment

Three for the price of one!

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Indeed, and especially in light of the way even the Beeb's own "classical" competitions get sidelined, and buried in the schedules. The blunt facts are that "everyone" knows who and what Taylor Swift is, and so anything to do with her is "news" to be put out by a public service broadcaster, whereas "no-one" knows who Yungchan Lim is, nor Chopin, so no-one will want to hear anything related to them any way, let alone the young man's achievement. He'd have done better to carry the piano to the top of a mountain to raise money for charity to get in the news, with a throw away comment from the news reader "Oh, and he won some important competition as well, apparently".
                          Or, in the upcoming series of The Piano transporting said piano to a new and specially designated enclave somewhere in Leeds shopping centre where the common people will be invited to come and demonstrate their pure natural artistry before highly lauded popular qualified artists and TV hosts and then amid confected "excitement" be subject to popular viewer's vote.
                          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-04-24, 18:29.

Comment

Taylor Swift ? Sounds like the name of a card in Happy Families.

Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Continuing my quest, I started listening to a song on YouTube. I couldn't make out the words most of the time but I did catch "I want to kill her". I stopped listening after just over a minute. No voice, all brand and marketing. Welcome to the 21st century
                              I agree wholeheartedly. Every track sounds exactly the same as the next one.
                              Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. Every track sounds exactly the same as the next one.
                                I believe that can also be said of Ned Sheeran's offerings.

Comment

Working...
                                X