Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Yes, she's a versatile singer - I didn't know about the 3 CD set.....I have her others for Alpha Classics (215), Hahn, Duparc, Chausson and (441), Chausson with orchestra. And there's an earlier Virgin Classics (545 360 2), Fauré, Debussy and Poulenc. A couple of others I haven't got too.
    She really changed répertoire later on in life, in the early days it was pretty much baroque only with the likes of William Christie.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

She really changed répertoire later on in life, in the early days it was pretty much baroque only with the likes of William Christie.
      Yes thanks, I've just looked on Qobuz there's enough to keep me busy for a while!

The other French singer I greatly admire is Sandrine Piau - who did a joint Alpha CD with Véronique - and has a similarly wide ranging repertoire. Sandrine came on my radar quite early on with her Maurice Delage CD for Timpani.

Comment

Yes thanks, I've just looked on Qobuz there's enough to keep me busy for a while!

The other French singer I greatly admire is Sandrine Piau - who did a joint Alpha CD with Véronique - and has a similarly wide ranging repertoire. Sandrine came on my radar quite early on with her Maurice Delage CD for Timpani.
        I think that this relates to French singers, though not necessarily of the Auvergne songs.

I also have this, which I must dig out a give a spin to: Arleen Auger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canteloube-Chants-dAuvergne-Boléro-Sheherazade/dp/B01JT0ZQ3M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LWRLXY025VYI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.wa5d sQTfSLSebFNaYrYlm0uT7Iiny7OVCP-s3XP4AoshU3tTHh98hhgcw9xxs2yIwakqnvn54Dl9AXyB-viV-QTo06Twl8MW5twMoIU_o_Ez8FfL8C1YRq4rqbV5taM9Ib6ZhyG EYaJU3SakWOJeqX6htsYW_9Pf1vRVtrNteVD7vLnZ4XoPk_sxp 9jZzz9uUJAMC7SwcXRPmN_-bTx6HWVgoWD4LNOKZt9DD3casNI.zxG4ry1soOV0OaFuD0mRU5 g43r66uDSMSNZ1OS1lUns&dib_tag=se&keywords=auger+ca nteloube&qid=1714766385&s=music&sprefix=auger+cant eloube%2Cpopular%2C70&sr=1-3-catcorr

PS: Just discovered that, despite her name looking French, she was American!

Last edited by Pulcinella; 03-05-24, 21:20. Reason: PS added!

Comment

Yes I remember the disc, and of course the greatly missed singer - I was a bit miffed when Georgia introduced her as Arleen Augair ( as if in French it was spelt Augere) I have told her twice the correct way to pronounce it...but she'd rather carry on getting it wrong than admit her fault! Rather typical, no? It wouldn't matter except Arleen gave instructions to her record companies that future releases should be accented thus, Augér, as she was fed up with people (she picked out radio presenters!!) getting it wrong. She was proud of her French-Canadian heritage, and why not.

Comment

I was a bit miffed when Georgia introduced her as Arleen Augair ( as if in French it was spelt Augere) I have told her twice the correct way to pronounce it...but she'd rather carry on getting it wrong than admit her fault!
            Rather like the late forumista Richard Tarleton constantly writing in about Tárrega's name being mispronounced. I think the message finally got through.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Rather like the late forumista Richard Tarleton constantly writing in about Tárrega's name being mispronounced. I think the message finally got through.
              How do you get Tárrega wrong? - stress on the second syllable, as in the British pronunciation of trattoria?!

My pet hate, and all BBC announcers/presenters do it, is the know-it-all Hispanic rendition of Ginastera. Like Auger he gave an interview explaining he was of Catalan heritage and his name was pronounced as in Gin and Tonic (actually more like in the French Georges), but never Hin!

Comment

How do you get Tárrega wrong? - stress on the second syllable, as in the British pronunciation of trattoria?!
                Yup. But if the accent is missing ...?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yup. But if the accent is missing ...?
                  Well then it's fair game I suppose!

We live 3 miles from the Welsh border, my Welsh (and Welsh speaking) wife is often apoplectic at the cavalier way our fellow herefordians render Welsh names!

Comment

my Welsh (and Welsh speaking) wife is often apoplectic at the cavalier way our fellow herefordians render Welsh names!
                    She's not a Fluellen by any chance?

Comment

I was trying to pick her out of the anonymously played six singers, as I couldn't believe they wouldn't have this 'connoisseurs' choice' recording - I sold ten of the Kiri to one of Davrath's in the shop.

The singers were: Carolyn Sampson, Anna Moffo, Von Stade, Kiri, de los Angeles and the winner - the one I picked out as my favourite - Véronique Gens, BTW her 2nd volume of SotA is worth a look (Naxos 8.570338) for a selection of some of the other regional 'Chants de France' and for Canteloube's massive Wagnerian 'Triptyque' for soprano and orch.

Oh, concerning the Davrath recording, are we any the wiser as to who is the conductor listed as Pierre de la Roche? Monteux was always considered a distinct possibility.....Roche, Mont?!
                      Thanks for this contribution. Over the decades I think the Navrath was the only version the Canteloube Songs which I knew. I didn't own a recording (or feel the need to) but this was the one which seemed to be the default choice if it was on the radio. I had not heard about Monteux being the actual conductor - it does seem quite plausible that contractual issues might have come into play when he was working for Vanguard.

Coincidentally, last year I came across that Véronique Gens version on Naxos, which I duly snapped up; she had become a favourite singer via such discs as:

Poulenc - La Voix Humaine with Alexandre Bloch and Orchestre National de Lille (last year)

Massenet: Songs with Orchestra - Hervé Niquet and Orchestre de Chambre de Paris

Néère (songs by Hahn R, Chausson, Duparc, as mentioned) with accompanist, Susan Manoff. (Several years ago I made an expedition to catch them live in Wigmore Lunchtime Concert)

I so enjoyed the disc of Canteloube selections that I got the complementary second disc (also mentioned) which also included less familiar repertoire, well worth discovering.

Comment

Yes I remember the disc, and of course the greatly missed singer - I was a bit miffed when Georgia introduced her as Arleen Augair ( as if in French it was spelt Augere) I have told her twice the correct way to pronounce it...but she'd rather carry on getting it wrong than admit her fault! Rather typical, no? It wouldn't matter except Arleen gave instructions to her record companies that future releases should be accented thus, Augér, as she was fed up with people (she picked out radio presenters!!) getting it wrong. She was proud of her French-Canadian heritage, and why not.
                        Greatly missed indeed. I have several recitals by Arleen Auger on disc, eg Love Songs and Wolf. We saw her live once in Leipzig of all places (my wife's home town). She lived in Germany.

Comment

Likewise a Piau fan. She constructs lovely recitals eg

First came Debussy mélodies with Jos van Immerseel https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...6658--melodies

Sandrine Piau: Aprés un Rêve. Naive: V5250. Buy download online. Sandrine Piau (soprano) & Susan Manhoff (piano)

The more recent marvellous https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...--si-j-ai-aime

Comment

She's not a Fluellen by any chance?
                            How prescient of you to mention a character from the play whose 'main man' was brought up at the end of our lane!

It was considered too dangerous for young Henry - shortly Prince Hal - to live in Monmouth so he was removed to Courtfield protected by a huge loop of the Wye.

Shakespeare's observation still pertains to this day...look you!

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Likewise a Piau fan. She constructs lovely recitals eg

First came Debussy mélodies with Jos van Immerseel https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...6658--melodies

Sandrine Piau: Aprés un Rêve. Naive: V5250. Buy download online. Sandrine Piau (soprano) & Susan Manhoff (piano)

The more recent marvellous https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...--si-j-ai-aime
                              Thanks for mentioning the above recordings...we have similar taste!

In case you're not aware of it, there is a 'double' of Koechlin songs with orch. SWR CD 93 159....this would have been my 'Record of the Week's when I ran my CD shop if it was available! This is Juliane Banse at her best....Piau did a few of the songs on one of hers, but this one is very special.

Don't know if you are familiar with the songs (or any of his output) of Jean Cras. There are two volumes on Timpani (that early Piau of Delage was on this label) of his songs, one with piano, one with orch. neither are completely recommendable as the soloists are barely acceptable, but some of the songs are just the sort of thing I wish Gens or/and Piau would record! Try the songs with orch. for example the cycle 'L'Offrande lyrique' third song 'Si le jour est passé', subdued orch. accompaniment, redolent of the Rabindranath Tagore words! Genius!

Jean Cras: Songs with Orchestra. Timpani: 1C1160. Buy CD or download online. Ingrid Perruche (soprano), Philippe Do (tenor) & Lionel Peintre (baritone) Orchestre de Bretagne, Claude Schnitzler

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Greatly missed indeed. I have several recitals by Arleen Auger on disc, eg Love Songs and Wolf. We saw her live once in Leipzig of all places (my wife's home town). She lived in Germany.
                                She made some wonderful discs with L'Oiseau Lyre - Haydn Cantatas with Hogwood, Mozart opera with Arnold Ostman at Drottningholm etc, and my favourite of all, the magical EMI recording of Handel's 'Alcina' with Richard Hickox.

Comment

Working...
                                X