Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, great, thank you! Options have appeared that weren't there before.

Comment

That was nasty! This thread suddenly looked like the reason I avoided R3OK because it looked so messy.

I have found my personal off switch, so am quite happy, and I now know what an avatar is - might be useful in Scrabble.

Among the various settings and tabs, I haven't found one that let's me see a list of just threads to which I've contributed, as with the BBC's 'Don Petter's Discussions'. Does this option exist? I always used to go there first, to check for new posts, and then go on to browse more generally. I don't want to be informed by a deluge of emails every time someone posts to 'my' threads, just to be able to see at a glance that there have been n more posts since I last looked.

If this is the only thing missing compared with the BBC boards, I'm not complaining. There are a host of plusses. I just wonder if I'm missing something among the plethora of options.

Comment

My Discussions list?

Don

I think the system is that you 'subscribe' to the threads. I haven't used it myself because i'm currently trying to keep an eye on as much as I can, but don't want to subscribe to them all.

There's a little green dot alongside the thread title in the various forum lists, and I think you can see a list of those you do subscribe to. Explore that a bit and I'll see what else I can find.

Edit: Not quite accurate. You can subscribe to a forum (CD Review, Performance &c), but when you look at the list of threads, the ones you've contributed to will have a little green circle with a white arrow in it, to the left of the thread title. If there are new posts which you haven't yet read, the thread title will be in bold. I haven't yet found a complete list of any one person's postings. (Means you can't check up on what other people have been posting either, which was sometimes useful)
        Last edited by french frank; 27-11-10, 11:18.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I've got the subscribing to threads working, which is really pretty much what I was after, though one has to remember to do it manually, rather than it being automatic, a la BBC. Also it only indicates that there have been new posts, but not how many, but this is trivial. One puzzle is that of the four threads to which I have contributed, ony one shows the green 'you have posted to this thread' arrow. Not sure why this should be.

Regarding subscribing to specific forums (fora?), I don't at the moment see any advantage to this, as there doesn't seem to be a method of only showing subscribed forums, which would seem to be the main purpose of doing so?

Comment

You have a My Subscriptions setting on your My Settings page, but I'm not too sure what that shows, or in what format, as I don't have any to show. Not sure why the green sign doesn't indicate all the threads you've contributed to. Must be a reason.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Lars's post is great. Thanks for the tips.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm obviously missing something here.
                I've tried to upload a picture, both as an avatar and as a picture.
                Its 3kb ,72X80.
                I followed Lars' instructions.
                I've tried it as a jpg and a png.
                Each time I get "upload of file failed".
                Perhaps it's too ugly??????

OH!!!! it's there

I'm the one with the beard.
                I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

Are these photo avatars really less than 19k?

Comment

Why ask? Just right click on any of them and check out the image information. Caliban's, for instance, is 2,458 bytes.

Your avatar image, in contrast, occupies 2,902 bytes.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 28-11-10, 12:30. Reason: Further info added.

Comment

For those of you who don't like the look of the site with avatars against members' names, you can disable this in my settings - my account - general settings (or forum actions - general settings), then untick 'show avatars' under 'thread display options'. I like them meself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Why ask? Just right click on any of them and check out the image information. Caliban's, for instance, is 2,458 bytes.

Your avatar image, in contrast, occupies 2,902 bytes.
                        That does surprise me.

Comment

No naughty ones allowed I suppose? (Just asking ...)

Comment

Have I done it? It kept saying 'Invalid file' and then my Benjamin Britten rose seemed to appear. No idea how.

I didn't really intend to have an avatar, but couldn't resist trying to do it, and now I have!

Comment

And very nice it is too, Mary!!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                Among the various settings and tabs, I haven't found one that let's me see a list of just threads to which I've contributed, as with the BBC's 'Don Petter's Discussions'. Does this option exist? I always used to go there first, to check for new posts, and then go on to browse more generally.
                                Only half a 'yes'. As on the BBC boards, click on the poster's name and a menu appears including View Forum Posts. No details on that view as to whether any new messages have been added since yours. But you can see the latest time on the main forum thread list.

I'm saying this on the assumption that it isn't an admin privilege (too early in the day to wake 'Lars' up).

Edit: Actually, I've now read your post again. This is just a list of your posts, not a convenient list of every thread you've contributed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X