Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to the forum

I expect people have forgotten - if they ever noticed - that I intimated a while back that I was 'retiring' from the forum and all things FoR3 with immediate effect. But … Anyway, now the Proms are over it seems like a good time to run away. First thought was to close the forum at Christmas as FoR3 wouldn't really be needing a website … but, well, we thought again.

I'd worked out a Byzantine solution by which we'd start a parallel forum (a free one) just like this one and try and coax people over there. Then we'd be able to discontinue the FoR3 website and Do Other Things.

But on second thoughts we're going to hand things over to the Hostly Team to run it how they want and, I'm sure, how you want as they'll want to do it in consultation with the members. Won't they?

There will be some minimal changes to signal that this is Not The Friends of Radio 3 Forum (not that it ever was, but people thought it was). You're pretty much stuck with being for3.org but that's about it. Any questions, requests &c, send a PM: ferney has agreed to coordinate the business side. It may take a few weeks to check that all the behind-the-scenes communications are going to the right people.

(I think that's a bit smaller)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Thank you for all your hard work, FF. I really do hope this forum continues in some form or another since I've always regarded it as being 'home'.

Comment

My grateful thanks, too, ff, for your input and efficacy. Long may the forum thrive and stay unregenerate. All good wishes,

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Thank you for all your hard work, FF. I really do hope this forum continues in some form or another since I've always regarded it as being 'home'.
        I can only echo this. There is, I think, a solid base of regular, and some slightly less regular, posters who should ensure that the Forum continues to flourish.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Thanks for all that you have done running the forum, FF. It is, and always has been, really appreciated.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

A bit of a shock this. However, many thanks, ff, for all your hard work behind the scenes as well as your valuable contributions to the forum. Best wishes for the future.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Many thanks, ff, for your sterling work for for3 and this forum. Every good wish to you!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I expect people have forgotten - if they ever noticed - that I intimated a while back that I was 'retiring' from the forum and all things FoR3 with immediate effect. But … Anyway, now the Proms are over it seems like a good time to run away. First thought was to close the forum at Christmas as FoR3 wouldn't really be needing a website … but, well, we thought again.

I'd worked out a Byzantine solution by which we'd start a parallel forum (a free one) just like this one and try and coax people over there. Then we'd be able to discontinue the FoR3 website and Do Other Things.

But on second thoughts we're going to hand things over to the Hostly Team to run it how they want and, I'm sure, how you want as they'll want to do it in consultation with the members. Won't they?

There will be some minimal changes to signal that this is Not The Friends of Radio 3 Forum (not that it ever was, but people thought it was). You're pretty much stuck with being for3.org but that's about it. Any questions, requests &c, send a PM: ferney has agreed to coordinate the business side. It may take a few weeks to check that all the behind-the-scenes communications are going to the right people.

(I think that's a bit smaller)
                Did we get to vote on this, ff ? I hereby call for a resolution for you to continue your efforts ad infinitum. You're irreplaceable

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  Did we get to vote on this, ff ? I hereby call for a resolution for you to continue your efforts ad infinitum. You're irreplaceable
                  I think all the Hosts would squabble to be the first to second this Motion, rfg.

frenchie's efforts over the past plenty years is far more worthy of public recognition than many of the OBEs, CBEs etc dished out twice yearly. We will all do our very best to attempt to maintain the Standards she has set - and to keep the Forum the friendly, welcoming, and interesting place it has been for us over the past seven years.

(And frenchie will still be very welcome to the Hosts' Annual Christmas Party - on the strict understanding that she is still barred from the Musical Chairs event. Vicious her tactics are - vicious!!!)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I think all the Hosts would squabble to be the first to second this Motion
                    Absolutely right. But everyone has a right to retirement. And thank heaven for ferney for stepping into the breach.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      So have I (re: 'home'). Thank you very much for all you hard work.

Comment

What really surprises me is how you have managed to last here for so long, french frank ... speaks volumes for your innate tolerance!

I extend my huge appreciation to you for making this forum available to those keen to access more intelligent discourse (for the most part!) on the internet. We can all learn from each other even when we may vehemently disagree.and, occasionally, have a bit of fun at the same time. This is an excellent place for that.

Many thanks again for all your hard work & good luck in your retirement!

Comment

Thanks for everything Frankie. I try not to ever take the forum for granted. It was sad to pay a visit the other day to what used to be known as the 'other place' and discover one poor chap more or less writing to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                            Many thanks, ff, for your sterling work for for3 and this forum. Every good wish to you!

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Absolutely right. But everyone has a right to retirement. And thank heaven for ferney for stepping into the breach.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Enough, enough - this is a business thread (but thank you anyway).

The main point is that Friends of Radio 3 is winding down which means that the website is no longer crucial. Except, of course, for hosting the forum (which was never intended to be anything other than a replacement for the BBC messageboard). And since only about 20% of the regular users are also formal FoR3 'supporters', keeping a website going as a purely philanthropic act lacked appeal. But I would be like everyone else in missing it if it went, and there has been a little rush of new members since the Proms began (and ended).

But. I felt it would be unfair to hand over to a largely non-FoR3 group and then impose (my) restrictions on how they should run it. Against that, I didn't want it to run amok if people were still going to think of it as 'Friends of Radio 3'. Hence I prefer to allow complete freedom but make some minor adjustments to the logo.

Andrew will still be around as Technical Administrator and he's always been the one who knew how to do things anyway. But I'll be around to help if needed so - Long Live The NEW Radio 3 Forum.

I might just about manage to be argumentative now and again, but I'm feeling very tired and and and
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X